My review on the Ibanez Rg6PCMLTD premium - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 05:45 AM Thread Starter

My review on the Ibanez Rg6PCMLTD premium

So i bought the blue one, but returned it one week after testing it. Here is why (excuse my englisch):

I first saw the guitar on the ibanez site and then some vids on Youtube. The specs where unreal, so i had to have it!

The first thing i noticed when opening up the case, was the very dark fade on the bodom. This was not a smooth transition from light to dark like on the pictures, but rather light--->super dark.
So that's a bummer, and i know pictures from the Ibanez site are not the ideal way to "see" the guitar, but i saw way better pics of the model online.

Anyway, after that "let down", i grabbed the (very heavy) guitar and felt the neck. Now the neck feels really good! Smooth and a little chuncky (which i like). The SS frets are amazing, and the rolled of edges are the cherry on the pie! In terms of playing feel, i have no complaints.

After plugging in the axe, i tested out all pickup configs, and i must say that i really don't like the TZ TV AN combo. Why? Because it's all mids, pumped up to the extreme with no subtle sounds. Just like a tone knob is down on the guitar. Now i know tone is subjective, but i really can't stand the honkey sound of those pups. I was thinking of replacing them, but strumming the guitar with all the combinations of woods robbed the guitar of any sort of "identity" or mojo. The whole thing sounds too "wooly" and muffled for my taste, and didn't have an attack with some shizzle (little like a strat). So combine that with the "muddy" pickups, and it just didn't click for me soudwise.

Now the trem feels really stiff, but since i don't use it i don't really mind. I have the same trem on other Ibanez guitars, but because it was new, it felt even more stiff. I know u can pick out the springs in the back to make it feel easier.

Is this guitar bad? No! It just wasn't for me. I think that lately i'm leaning more to strat sounds, and this guitar is the total opposite of that. But i also compared this premium to other ibanez guitars, and the basswood RG's still have a little bit more "strat -shizzle".

Anyway, the bad things vs good things didn't balanced for me.

The good:
-The feel of the neck.
-SS frets are rolled of very nice.
-The glow in the dark dots are a nice bonus.

The bad:
-The colour was not what i was expecting (no subtle transitions from light blue to dark blue).
-The pickups where a high gain soulless mudfest (again IMO, if u like it that's fine).
-The weight
-The overall tone of the guitar.

There u have it! It just wasn't the right guitar for me, but i'm sure it will make a lot of people happy! I wrote this little review because there is not much information the web (besides sale vids).

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by shredding_j; 08-07-2017 at 05:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 08:08 AM

Re: My review on the Ibanez Rg6PCMLTD premium

The weight shouldn't have been a surprise, you could have checked any number of retailers to see what they were averaging in weight.

As for the color, there's been quite a variance. They're all different. You just happened to get one you weren't expecting. Not sure why you didn't ask for pictures first.

Pickups: Here I have to agree with you, but in a different sense: The AN and TZ are great, but the TV is just so quiet. I may need to replace it with something that blends better with the other two.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-07-2017, 09:56 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1

Good review. While ^ Cina makes valid points it doesn't fully reflect the reality of retail, worldwide. Not every buyer is well informed nor should they have to be. + how can you get the color/look/weight on a stained guitar if you preordered from a local dealer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shredding_j View Post
I first saw the guitar on the ibanez site and then some vids on Youtube. The specs where unreal, so i had to have it!
This sums up the Ibanez tactic with Premiums though. Spec-centric reverse-design of a guitar around the neck (parts, not the sum of all parts).

It must be working to some extent, just now the dealer has a blem/return to sell someone.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jemsite View Post
This sums up the Ibanez tactic with Premiums though. Spec-centric reverse-design of a guitar around the neck (parts, not the sum of all parts).
I think that is a good way of describing these Limited Edition Premiums: they are selling specs/parts. The fundamental build quality that you find in good guitars is simply not there. I am referring to all guitars, not just Ibanez.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 05:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cina View Post
The weight shouldn't have been a surprise, you could have checked any number of retailers to see what they were averaging in weight.

As for the color, there's been quite a variance. They're all different. You just happened to get one you weren't expecting. Not sure why you didn't ask for pictures first.

Pickups: Here I have to agree with you, but in a different sense: The AN and TZ are great, but the TV is just so quiet. I may need to replace it with something that blends better with the other two.
I knew the weight was there before i bought it, still it's definitely not that plesant.
I did ask for pictures, but they won't do it, so i just had to wait and see.
The TV is loud enough, it's just not my cup of tea.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Given To Fly View Post
I think that is a good way of describing these Limited Edition Premiums: they are selling specs/parts. The fundamental build quality that you find in good guitars is simply not there. I am referring to all guitars, not just Ibanez.
I think mostly that's true, but the build was pretty good all around. I would still recommend this guitar if u like the dimarzio setup.
For the price it ain't bad!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-08-2017, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

To sum in all up:

For me, the RG6 is like having a date with a very hot blonde in a blue dress. She has all the right "specs", but after a while u start to realise that there is missing some "soul/mojo". So i had to dump her and get back to the brunette with the "right" feel ;-).
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 11:11 AM

I bought one last night, and I'm a Jem/RG Prestige guy. I was just really impressed with the specs overall. I asked many questions and got tons of pics and I also waited for one that I was happy with the gradient and also one that had some actual "curl" in the curly maple. The TZ is my favorite bridge pup so I'm not worried about that at all. The TV and AN are acceptable. I'll try to give an update next weekend.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 11:27 AM

I've been thinking of pulling the TV and slapping in a Hot Rail, and I think that would make everything golden for me. Otherwise, I have no complaints. It plays as well as my Prestiges.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-12-2017, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTB007 View Post
I bought one last night, and I'm a Jem/RG Prestige guy. I was just really impressed with the specs overall. I asked many questions and got tons of pics and I also waited for one that I was happy with the gradient and also one that had some actual "curl" in the curly maple. The TZ is my favorite bridge pup so I'm not worried about that at all. The TV and AN are acceptable. I'll try to give an update next weekend.
Great!

Be sure to post some pics :-)!
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-16-2017, 12:44 PM

Ahhh! And, stuck at work...

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Let's see it!
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-17-2017, 04:21 PM

Sorry, I spent all my time last night playing it! I'll take some pics and do a review this weekend. I have to admit I was afraid of the weight since I wasn't able to get that from the seller but it's not a problem at all, probably a tad over 8 pounds.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-20-2017, 08:39 PM

Here's a link to some pics and a video of the unboxing, lol.

https://goo.gl/photos/PS72kfhURqzPVCES9

I've spent a lot of time playing it since I got it and I've got some things to share about my experience so far. Overall, I'm very impressed! Some of the good; play-ability is awesome, neck is very comfy and the attention to detail is insane with the rolled edges and smooth and rounded fret edges, tuning stability is almost perfect although admittedly I have the bar set to be pretty stiff, did I mention the neck? I had a USA Jackson Fusion in the early 90's that had a neck very similar to this one with the raw feel which I just love, it's awesome. The TZ is perfect for this guitar, the TV is actually pretty good, too. But the AN is just awful and I'll replace it eventually. Something I noticed is that fingerprints seem to show up really easily on the clearcoat, not really an issue but something that is definitely different than Prestige guitars. Also, the trem is good but I really just prefer an Edge. I don't like the non push-in bar at all, even when I got it very tight I could still feel a little movement in the bar. I know a lot of people will say the flame is not very good on these guitars and I do agree but I also like guitars like this that are unique especially the striations in the maple on the fretboard. Very cool! I had a Jackson USA PC1 that had less flame on the fretboard than this thing. All in all, a very solid guitar. As far as competing with Presitge guitars, I don't really think that is an issue. To go along with car comparisons, just think about a high end Toyota versus a low level Lexus. Same car company, different trim levels and attention to detail but similar vehicles (eg, Toyota C-HR versus a Lexus NX). As a long time Prestige player, I really hope they do good and stick around and keep getting built at Fujigen and as an Ibanez fan I'm happy the new venture with Cort is taking off and offering other premium (intended) level instruments.

Tags
ibanez rg6pcmltd

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode