My RFR off to a new home :( - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 120
My RFR off to a new home :(

Here she is all packed up last night, ready to get picked up by a new owner this morning.

I put my 2007 RG 550 XXRF up for sale to raise some money to go towards a holiday for my family. We haven't had a proper holiday in a long time, and we really need one. The only guitar I have that's of worth to others (all my guitars are worth a lot to me) was my 20th Ann. 550 RFR.

It was a real struggle to get this guitar, and it all started off well. In late 2006 the leaks on these guitars came out. I went straight to my local Ibanez dealer and put my name down for one. Once they were finally announced it was known that only 16 were coming to Australia. There was a lottery for Ibanez dealers to get their hands on these. My local fluked it can got one of each colour.

Guitar came in and I had just had got married, and bought a house. The house was a sudden necessary move, and as such I had to lay-buy the guitar. Soon afterwards my wife and I were expecting our first child. This was incredibly exciting, but my wife had started a new job, and as soon as they caught wind of this they made sure they got rid of her at the end of her probation. Real dog move, since she was acing the work they wanted her to do. We were stuck then with a baby on the way and significantly less income.

My wife as always bounced back and landed some contract work back in the public service, where she was prior to the new job, and eventually landed a permanent gig, albeit with the maternity leave lost since she was out of the public service a little too long. I was going to cancel the lay-buy, but she insisted I get paying off small bits at a time, and eventually I paid it off.

I've had it for 6 years now, and its simply an amazing guitar to play, but the body's tone doesn't quite do what I want from a guitar, and since it was the only one I've got worth a respectable amount of money it's going.

I'm sad to see this guitar go, but it's going for a good cause, and I think the owner will appreciate this guitar as much as I have. I'm going to hate myself for a good while I think, since the chances of finding one of these again will be slim. I'm sure I'll get over it eventually though.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Just wanted to get it off my chest. It's the first guitar I've ever sold in 21 years of playing, bar my first electric which was a trade in for my first Ibanez (and second electric).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 07:01 PM

Re: My RFR off to a new home :(

I would have sold the wife. However, I understand your pain.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 08:02 PM

Reviews: 10

Sorry you had to sell it man...but family always comes first so I appreciate and understand your commitment to doing the right thing for your family...after all it is just a guitar and there are always more where that one came from...the memories of the holiday will last forever
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 08:24 PM

Sorry you had to let it go, mate. RFR has always been my favorite color for these!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 09:19 PM

Reviews: 2

Hey Stephen,

Over the years you've told me a lot about your wife and children. It's not been easy for any of you. The struggles you guys have endured and persevered through are both noteworthy and commendable. I really have a ton of respect for the two of you. Your boy's, IMO, have an incredible set of parents.

Like the wind, guitars come and go. Often, family time can be fleeting at best. Selling the guitar for even an extra second with them is the right choice. I know your RFR means a ton to you, but truly there will be more great guitars in your future...... even better ones than the 550. It's in your blood!!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Well it's gone now. Big fat wallet for a little while, off to the bank after work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDebris View Post
I would have sold the wife. However, I understand your pain.
I did think about that, but besides the times when she's bugging the crap out of me (which I know I do to her at times) I'm rather quite fond of her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doriangrey View Post
Sorry you had to sell it man...but family always comes first so I appreciate and understand your commitment to doing the right thing for your family...after all it is just a guitar and there are always more where that one came from...the memories of the holiday will last forever
Yeah, it's hard. I reckon if I were selling to get some new gear it wouldn't have been as hard. Thanks for the support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takin' a Ride View Post
Sorry you had to let it go, mate. RFR has always been my favorite color for these!
Tell me about it, RFR is my favourite too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
Hey Stephen,

Over the years you've told me a lot about your wife and children. It's not been easy for any of you. The struggles you guys have endured and persevered through are both noteworthy and commendable. I really have a ton of respect for the two of you. Your boy's, IMO, have an incredible set of parents.

Like the wind, guitars come and go. Often, family time can be fleeting at best. Selling the guitar for even an extra second with them is the right choice. I know your RFR means a ton to you, but truly there will be more great guitars in your future...... even better ones than the 550. It's in your blood!!
Thanks for your kind words Ryc. I know that the boys have at least one incredible parent, not so sure about myself though!

I'm not sure about better guitars than the 550, but I know there will be one or two more that come along at some point.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 09:41 AM

Sorry to see such a beauty go!!!!

If you were here in the States, Ryc and I would have figured something out!!!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 10:05 AM

It doesn't seem like it would raise enough money for a vacation???

Every time we take a trip it's a least $1500, that will only fetch about$500 around here.

I'd never sell a guitar to pay for something else; I'd just save up.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastian View Post
It doesn't seem like it would raise enough money for a vacation???

Every time we take a trip it's a least $1500, that will only fetch about$500 around here.

I'd never sell a guitar to pay for something else; I'd just save up.
Well the money you are talking about is what I got for the guitar. This is a 20th Ann RG 550, only 16 officially came to Australia, they are rare here. Add to that the Australia tax, and they were also double the cost new. I've not seen a near mint 20th Ann, let alone the RFR go for $500 on the bay or anywhere.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo72 View Post
Sorry to see such a beauty go!!!!

If you were here in the States, Ryc and I would have figured something out!!!
Thanks for the kind words.

Being in Australia meant that I was able to get a great price for the guitar though. Losing it hurts a little, but knowing that I got a great price, which will help our holiday fund makes me feel a lot better.

My wife feels bad that I've sold it, but as I said to her last night, she's allowed me to do things that I've wanted to do like get the guitar, now it was time for me to repay her. I've had the time with the guitar, enjoyed it, but I could move it on.

I've got some other guitars that play as great, and probably sound even better. Sure they don't look nearly as awesome, but I'm not afraid to take them out on stage and play hard.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 08:50 PM

Can anyone reading this thread tell me what the difference is between RFR and FA (Five Alarm Red)?

In the catalog, they look basically the same.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

FA is a bit more of an orange colour I think. I'm sure that's what I've seen mentioned. There's no mistaking a RFR in person, it's fluro red, and very much so.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode