Ibanez JEM Forum banner

My RG270DX - Birdseye Maple?

3K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Swirltop 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I am thinking of selling my RG270DX as I don't use it and have noticed that they have started selling on the bay again (the only reason I haven't sold it before was because I didn't think it would actually sell). My RG270 is a little odd however, as the neck on it seems to me to be much better than what you would expect from a bottom end Korean RG; firstly the shape and thickness is a lot closer to my RG1XXV than that of my RG370DX that I recently sold (the 370DX was noticeably meatier), but more significantly it the wood is a birdseye maple which I thought was normally reserved for higher end guitars.

My theory has always been that the piece of wood they used for this neck didn't have a dense enough pattern to be used for whatever model it was intended for, so it was used in a lower end model instead. Either that, or it was purely accidental!

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts about this, or if anyone had come across anything similar? It actually seems like a shame to get rid of it as the neck is just that good!

The guitar was made in June 1999.

Pics:

Thanks in advance for any input.

See less See more
#3 ·
Too bad we are an ocean apart. I have an RG270DX that I've modded the hell out of and absolutely love at this point. I'd be interested in buying yours for another overhaul if it was feasible. I've swapped out the saddles for locking ones, added a Tremol-no, and changed out all the electronics in mine. My favorite guitar now. I love the neck on these.

#9 ·
I'm pretty sure I will be selling it; I'm just considering the logistics of posting it safely at the moment. Presumably the way to do it would be to make a thread in the for sale forum? I'm just a little unsure of the actual value of the guitar to be honest.

#10 ·
RG270DX - similar to the RG270 except has a bound rosewood fingerboard with sharktooth inlays, and black hardware, available in Black, Emerald Green, Jewel Blue, Metallic Green, or Raspberry Red finish, mfg. 1994-2001.
Grading100% $415
MINT98% $350
NEAR MINT95% $300
EXC+90% $250
EXC80% $205
VG+70% $165
VG60% $125
G
Last MSR was $550.[/B]That's from the 10th Edition Electric Guitar Blue Book. It's the most recent I have. I've commonly seen them go for $200-$250 USD. Considering just how good of a guitar they can be, they really don't go for much. I'm glad I never sold mine.

Edit: That didn't paste very well but you get the general idea.

#12 ·
That's true. I had already done some upgrades to mine when I was thinking about selling it. I have a full set of Duncan 59s in it which I hoped would increase the value a bit, but it didn't increase it at all. I was still looking at $200-$250 so I just kept it and upgraded it some more.

#13 ·
Yeah man that's one of the reasons I always keep the stock pups when I upgrade them. For as much as you spend on a pair of duncans/dimarzios you won't increase the value hardly at all. For what they cost you're better off keeping them to install in the next guitar that enters your life and has lousy pups in it :mrgreen:

Hey antiloqus is that headstock 1 piece or a few glued together? That may hurt the value a bit...

#15 ·
Oh I completely understand where you're coming from man...I have a MIJ RG421 w/ a EMG 81/89 combo that I could maybe get $200 for. Since it is one of the best playing and sounding guitars I've ever owned I won't ever consider selling it. Sometimes you just get lucky and end up with a great piece of wood no matter what price you paid for it or what the model number is. That's one of the reasons to never be a guitar snob. I used to only play Fenders and Gibsons until I got my first RG....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.