My RG270DX - Birdseye Maple? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

My RG270DX - Birdseye Maple?

Hi All,

I am thinking of selling my RG270DX as I don't use it and have noticed that they have started selling on the bay again (the only reason I haven't sold it before was because I didn't think it would actually sell). My RG270 is a little odd however, as the neck on it seems to me to be much better than what you would expect from a bottom end Korean RG; firstly the shape and thickness is a lot closer to my RG1XXV than that of my RG370DX that I recently sold (the 370DX was noticeably meatier), but more significantly it the wood is a birdseye maple which I thought was normally reserved for higher end guitars.

My theory has always been that the piece of wood they used for this neck didn't have a dense enough pattern to be used for whatever model it was intended for, so it was used in a lower end model instead. Either that, or it was purely accidental!

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts about this, or if anyone had come across anything similar? It actually seems like a shame to get rid of it as the neck is just that good!

The guitar was made in June 1999.

Pics:

Thanks in advance for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 08:01 AM

Reviews: 1
Re: My RG270DX - Birdseye Maple?

I think they just pick random pieces of wood to be honest. There are a lot of different models that have plain maple necks, while others of the same model have a flamed neck for example.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 08:55 AM

Too bad we are an ocean apart. I have an RG270DX that I've modded the hell out of and absolutely love at this point. I'd be interested in buying yours for another overhaul if it was feasible. I've swapped out the saddles for locking ones, added a Tremol-no, and changed out all the electronics in mine. My favorite guitar now. I love the neck on these.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Yes indeed! I keep toying with the idea of using it in a project of some sort, but just cant settle on anything. I think I want to sell it to make room for an RG550 or an RG565 (If I ever find one).
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 03:03 PM

Yeah I have an 1999 MIJ RG470 that came with a pretty flamed headstock and neck for a lower end guitar

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 06:33 PM

Reviews: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR2009 View Post
Yeah I have an 1999 MIJ RG470 that came with a pretty flamed headstock and neck for a lower end guitar

tHE RG 470 JAPAN IS NO LOWER A MODEL THAN THE RG550 MINUS THE TREMELO.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewsfury View Post
tHE RG 470 JAPAN IS NO LOWER A MODEL THAN THE RG550 MINUS THE TREMELO.
LOL...I just remembered the neck heel was stamped as a RG550 too

I'm actually using this neck with a donor RG570 body and edge trem right now while I refinish the 470 and the original 570 bodies... I can't tell the difference in quality to be honest, but I did do a refinish, fret level, and polish on it as well
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-12-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antiloqus View Post
Yes indeed! I keep toying with the idea of using it in a project of some sort, but just cant settle on anything. I think I want to sell it to make room for an RG550 or an RG565 (If I ever find one).
Please let me know if you do decide to sell it dood. I would be interested and we are not an ocean apart lol
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure I will be selling it; I'm just considering the logistics of posting it safely at the moment. Presumably the way to do it would be to make a thread in the for sale forum? I'm just a little unsure of the actual value of the guitar to be honest.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 02:47 PM

RG270DX - similar to the RG270 except has a bound rosewood fingerboard with sharktooth inlays, and black hardware, available in Black, Emerald Green, Jewel Blue, Metallic Green, or Raspberry Red finish, mfg. 1994-2001.
Grading100% $415
MINT98% $350
NEAR MINT95% $300
EXC+90% $250
EXC80% $205
VG+70% $165
VG60% $125
G
Last MSR was $550.[/B]That's from the 10th Edition Electric Guitar Blue Book. It's the most recent I have. I've commonly seen them go for $200-$250 USD. Considering just how good of a guitar they can be, they really don't go for much. I'm glad I never sold mine.

Edit: That didn't paste very well but you get the general idea.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 02:52 PM

He would probably get just as much for the neck alone as he would selling the whole guitar to be honest...
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 03:58 PM

That's true. I had already done some upgrades to mine when I was thinking about selling it. I have a full set of Duncan 59s in it which I hoped would increase the value a bit, but it didn't increase it at all. I was still looking at $200-$250 so I just kept it and upgraded it some more.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-13-2012, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gideond View Post
That's true. I had already done some upgrades to mine when I was thinking about selling it. I have a full set of Duncan 59s in it which I hoped would increase the value a bit, but it didn't increase it at all. I was still looking at $200-$250 so I just kept it and upgraded it some more.
Yeah man that's one of the reasons I always keep the stock pups when I upgrade them. For as much as you spend on a pair of duncans/dimarzios you won't increase the value hardly at all. For what they cost you're better off keeping them to install in the next guitar that enters your life and has lousy pups in it

Hey antiloqus is that headstock 1 piece or a few glued together? That may hurt the value a bit...
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 06:51 AM

Yeah I've still got my originals around here somewhere. I still didn't see the point in selling it at that price point.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gideond View Post
Yeah I've still got my originals around here somewhere. I still didn't see the point in selling it at that price point.
Oh I completely understand where you're coming from man...I have a MIJ RG421 w/ a EMG 81/89 combo that I could maybe get $200 for. Since it is one of the best playing and sounding guitars I've ever owned I won't ever consider selling it. Sometimes you just get lucky and end up with a great piece of wood no matter what price you paid for it or what the model number is. That's one of the reasons to never be a guitar snob. I used to only play Fenders and Gibsons until I got my first RG....

Tags
birds eye , birdseye , rg270dx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode