My RG3120 - A big disappointment - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

My RG3120 - A big disappointment

A little long but here is my 3120 story

Maybe I brought this on myself by ordering an RG3120 from an internet music store but I really didn't think it would be like this.

I got the 3120 and when I got it out of the box, the setup was terrible. This was expected since it came from a warehouse and I planned to put on 10's instead of the stock 9's so that was no problem. Although I am familair with setting up ibanez guitars with the lo-trs trem, I decided that I better get as much info on this particular guitar and the trem which I didn't know much about. I took in so much info. from this site along with Rich's Ibanez Rules site (thanks guys), that I felt good and excited to take on this guitar. I even went back and took apart a couple of old Ibanez guitars and gave them new strings and a complete setup with success.

I proceeded in my attempts to get this guitar to play like the 3120 I loved in the music store but was unsuccessful. I must have spent countless hours and several different attempts to get this thing right but I just couldn't - frets were buzzing like crazy and it just didn't feel good.

I called upon a highly recommended and regarded luthier to handle this guitar that I just couldn't figure out. After working with the guitar, he brought me in to have a look. He had the same problems as me, the guitar was fretting out everywhere. He pointed out that the frets were not seated properly and raised up from the neck, most notably at the 12th fret. He showed with his level, the difference between some of the frets, how some were really high and others were really low.

Basically, he told me that a good portion of the neck will require fretwork and that would be all we could do to make this guitar play properly. Now I understand that this will be warranty work but the fact that I have to have this done to a brand new guitar is very disappointing! Even worse, this guitar carries the "Prestige" badge which is supposed to mean this is a "top of the line" guitar bringing high quality, especially in the guitar neck.

Did I just get a lemon that will never be right or could this happen to any guitar if it is stuck in a warehouse for an extended period of time? Does anybody have any other ideas or recommendations? I really love Ibanez guitars and love my RG421 but this is crazy.

Thanks everybody.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 01:43 PM

Return it & get another. There's always a few that slip by.

Sorry to hear that - I've got two 3120's and they're the best guitar Ibanez makes for the $ IMO.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 02:37 PM
Vendor

Nothing that can't be fixed with a hammer and sandpaper, but I agree, exchange it and let somebody else worry about it.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 05:45 PM

That sucks. I love my RG3120. I think it's the best guitar I've ever owned. Hopefully you get things staightened out and get a good one, cuz they are (usually) awesome.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-19-2003, 08:40 PM

Major bummer that you got a lemon.

I totally understand how you feel. Since I'm a lefty, I had to order mine and pay for it WITHOUT getting any chance to try it out or sending it back if I wouldn't like it. (Thats how it is being a lefthanded guitarplayer).
However after 6 months it finally arrived and it was totally mindblowing.
My lefty Rg3120TWL is fantastic instrument and the tone is awesome.

I never regreted buying it and I hope that you get another one that works awesome. These guitars are totally amazing to play when creating music.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 01:00 PM

I agree.Return the thing and get a replacement. My tech charges me $150.00 for a fret level and polish.He does a great job.But I would hate to have him do it to a brand new guitar that should play correctly.

Ibanez never does a perfect job on set ups.THe ymass set up all their guitars for the most part.My tech used to work for the Los Angeles Ibanez Custom Shop.He told me tha Ibanez does their intonation adjsutments with a jig.THey put the jig around the bridge and push the saddles up against the stops in the jig and then lock the saddles down and they are done.No one checks with a strobe tuner.

But unseated frets are another story and you shouldn't have to pay to have that straightened out for a new Ibanez
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

I will be contacting Ibanez to have the fretwork done under warranty. I can't send it back because I've had it for more than 45 days. I'm sure that we'll be able to get it up to par. After all, it's a great guitar. It sounds terrific and does play a bit better now. I'm looking forward to getting it 100%. Thanks for the advice!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 08:05 AM

curious how you made out with this. Did Ibanez fix the fret problems
and did you receive the guitar back as expected?

-Vince
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-28-2003, 08:42 AM

Yeah thats a crying shame really, I love the RG3120, and I too think its one of the best guitars for the $$$. A friend of mine has 3 now and he only paid about 400-500 each for them.

They are killer guitars, hope it worked out OK. Ibanez and good shops are usually OK for taking things back.
Gary - The.Godfather.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-29-2003, 12:12 AM

same thing happened to me. I got mine exchanged and its all good.

Tags
custom shop , fret level , ibanez custom shop , ibanez guitars , killer guitar , music store , strobe tuner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode