My RG550LTD sounds better than all my Prestiges - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 02:18 AM Thread Starter

My RG550LTD sounds better than all my Prestiges

My RG550LTD, which is basswood, sounds (and, actually plays) better than all the [mahogany] Prestiges I've had. RG3120, RGT320Q, RGAFSPB .... multiple versions of some of these.

I'm not making this thread to start trouble, but just to say that it kind of surprises me. I first discovered this when I plugged my 550LTD into my Mesa Mark III amp and used it for a band rehearsal after a string on my Prestige broke.

I know this is kind of an unanswerable question.... but, why? I usually prefer anything BUT basswood, but maybe the wood on this particular guitar just resonates more, I guess?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 02:32 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: My RG550LTD sounds better than all my Prestiges

What pups do you have in it?

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

I've spent years trying to find what I like best for tone. Usually I favour basswood. I was saying to Jaden Rose as we were discussing custom builds that I find that basswood has more "squash" to the tone whereas mahogany has more push. certainly for a lot of situations I prefer this tone rather than the rather in your face honk of a mahogany guitar.

There certainly are times when mahogany seems more appropriate though

Last edited by jono; 11-06-2010 at 10:16 AM.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 06:24 AM

You have probably gotten yourself a really good copy of that 550.
So you have already answered your question with "maybe the wood on this particular guitar just resonates more".

It really has noting to do with type of wood or type of pickups or anything like that.
It is all down to the luck of getting a good resonant neck with a good resonant body and that the body and the neck like each other.
You can find those guitars made of any type of wood and in almost any model of guitar (sometimes even in really low level models).

The plays better is just a a setup thing, I think.
And also that we tend to feel that good sounding guitars plays better because it sounds so good.

Anyway, don't try to analyse it, you will never get any thing you can use out of it.
Meaning, you can get the exact same guitar and it can be really boring.
Just smile and be happy about that you found one of the good ones.

As a quick example.
I was looking for a "as close as possible sound wise" backup for a really really good RG3120 i have. I went to Ibanez stockroom and tried a massive amount of guitars.
I started with guitars of the same model, the guitars of the same wood and so on, but didn't find anything really close. Then I tried, just for the fun of it, a JEM7D and that was the closest guitar to the 3120 I could find. I could not hear any difference when I closed my eyes (they feel different, so I could tell that way).
I mean, they have different pickups, different wood, different almost everything and still sounds almost exactly the same. But when trying at least 30 of the exact same 3120 model could I not find a single one that sounded the same as my 3120.

Are your 550 light or heavy (wight)?

/Magnus
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 10:10 AM

Reviews: 37

ibanez -mag i agree with th fact that some guitars are matched better.
i only keep the well matched ones and move on if its not.
my 91 rg770dx is the best singing guitar i have and has stock pups.
it feels amazing everytime i play her.

they should be able to match these bodies and necks like they do drum sticks.
,aybe one day.

even steve vai braggs about some of his axes just being great resonaters.
makes you think that having a jem is nothing like vais guitar unless you are lucky(kinda sucks).he gets to chosse necks until he finds the right one that feels the best. '
good luck for us trying that huh??
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Banned

ive never been a fan of prestige guitars,give me a 550 over any prestige any day.thats just my opinion though im not saying prestige are poor,just not fussed.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all of your thoughts. I made this thread because, like I said, it surprised me and I figured you guys would say what you said. Thanks for confirming what I thought.

Ibanez-Mag, my RG550LTD is not exceptionally light. In fact, I must say.... for a basswood guitar, it's actually pretty heavy! I hate to equate weight with better tone because I know that's not always the case, so I don't knw. It IS a decent weight, though.

And, to answer another question: the bridge pickup is a Tone Zone and the neck pickup is a Semour Duncan that I put in there about 15 years ago.... I don't even remember which model, but it sounds awesome. The middle pickup is a stock Ibanez single coil.... not bad, though. The Tone Zone sounds amazing. This guitar is totally John Petrucci from 1992. Plus, going through my Mesa Mark III .... sounds killer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode