My RG550RXX - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 04:25 AM Thread Starter

My RG550RXX

Hey guys, I've been lurking around here for a while and came on here to ask my fellow 20th Anniversary RG owners a question; specifically to those who have put DiMarzio's or EMG's on them. I've been thinking of putting some DiMarzio's on it in place of the stock pickups. So my question is, is it a drastic change? Is it worth my money? Keep in mind, I'm VERY low on cash right now.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 05:34 AM

Re: My RG550RXX

I haven't changed the pups in mine as the stock pups sound great on their own. If you are low on cash I'd just keep the stock pups, I doubt the $ you spend on changing pups would be worth your trouble.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 11:30 AM

I second what GTR-MAN said. I like the stock pups and many other forumites feel the same. They are loud and balanced and still clean and clear. I decided against changing them after the first week of owning my RG20ths.

If I changed my pups out I would install Pafs in a different color so it would be a waste of money for me. The stocks are very close to Paf Pros, so I'm told.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

^All right well say I were to put some DiMarzios on it. Which pickups should I get to get a hot, lead sound in the bridge and a sort of warmer, not as hot tone from the neck? Maybe an EVO in the bridge?

Last edited by JeffWiredBeck24; 08-13-2007 at 03:04 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 02:40 AM

Maybe an Evo or Evo 2, or maybe even a Tone Zone in the bridge, and a PAF Pro or Air Norton in the neck are my favorites. I like the Super 3 in my bridge, but I should have put a Tone Zone in it looking back...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

^The Evo 2 (maybe even the Evo) might be too hot for my tastes, although I'll look into the Evo. Maybe the PAF Pro in the neck. I can't decide from reading the descriptions on DiMarzio's website because they're descriptions are so generic and bland. I come to jemsite to solve my pickup woes.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 03:38 AM

Air norton neck, tone zone bridge is good but very middy as opposed to trebly. I love it but you may not
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 04:03 AM Thread Starter

^How about a trebly bridge and middy/almost bassy neck? Maybe not bassy but warm if you understand me.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 09:55 AM
Dee

Stock all the way for me. These pickups don't need changing. I would say spend the money elsewhere, and if you need a change of tone, use your amp or pedals for that. Your choice, though. Good luck on finding the tone you want, if that's the plan.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
Stock all the way for me. These pickups don't need changing. I would say spend the money elsewhere, and if you need a change of tone, use your amp or pedals for that. Your choice, though. Good luck on finding the tone you want, if that's the plan.
Pretty much. The only reason I changed mine was because this is going to be my main guitar for the next few years, I want it to be as perfect for me as it can be for those few years, and I really like the dynamic sound that was coming from the Air Norton custom that I heard in the JP sig.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2007, 04:44 PM Thread Starter

All right, well I have a Boss DS-1 pedal modded by Robert Keeley (along with a Keeley modded TS9) and those are a HUGE part of my tone, but I'd still like to put DiMarzio Pickups on the RG. Maybe Tone Zone in the bridge and Air Norton in the neck? I'll leave the stock single coil on there, I like that one.

Tags
air norton , air norton neck , dimarzio pickup , dimarzio pickups , keeley mod , norton neck , paf pro , paf pros , tone zone , tone zone bridge , zone bridge

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Similar Searches

People searched for this, also searched for these:

rg550rxx
rg550rxx

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode