My RG570 mod (Still in progress with pics inside) - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

My RG570 mod (Still in progress with pics inside)

I'm installing a sustainer and I've also decided to add a pickguard to my Rg570.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f18/ib...not-81269.html

Anyway, it's still in progress cause I'm waiting on some parts and a couple of tools but I thought I'd add some pics. I'd only used a router once (total amateur with woodworking) before this mod to route the cavity for an edge on a rg270 body. Think I did an ok job considering it was all freehand. I just received the pickguard so there some pics with the guard.

Tell me what you think

here is the back routed for the sustainer and battery. Also routing the spring cavity to fit for the backstop cause it wasn't low enough. That part isn't finished cause I need a new bit.

And now with the pickguard...ignore the green knob, that was just there to see what it'd look like with the third sustainer knob.

There's a long way to go. Need cavity paint or shielded tape... a pickup cover that'll go next to the sustainer and an input jack.
So there it is...

Cheers and Rock on
Themi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:40 PM

Re: My RG570 mod (Still in progress with pics inside)

looks badass man.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:41 PM

oh ya if you want to keep the strings from getting all wrapped up like that while you have it temp strung put the blocks on it, and they wont get all wrapped up.
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Yer, it's cause I took the guitar apart and had the neck in with the strings still attached to the bridge and somehow they got tangled.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 10:12 PM

top frets scalloped?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Yer 21-24. Did that a while back.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-08-2008, 10:34 PM

that looks great, just makes me want neon pickups and knobs more
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 02:55 AM

jesus... neon pickups and knobs... pink/green Cliplock... Edge trems all around and a Backstop... you're making me cry, man!

ps: where have you got pink Cliplock fasteners!?! me want!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno View Post
jesus... neon pickups and knobs... pink/green Cliplock... Edge trems all around and a Backstop... you're making me cry, man!

ps: where have you got pink Cliplock fasteners!?! me want!
The collection of neon knobs that I have is quite embarrassing. Sets out number my guitars 2-1.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 01:55 PM

May I sugest something? In all the sustainer mods I see (Steve Vai's included) I don't like the extra knobs or switches on the body, away from the pickguard. I would either prefer it with no pickguard at all, or with all the knobs and switches on the pickguard.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-11-2008, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

hehe funny that. Half my motivation was because I like them off the pickguard. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I decided to go with the pickguard for two reasons...

1. I bought the fsk-401 which has a single coil driver. The driver did not fit in the normal routed space where the humbucker fits so I would've had to rout that area and directly mount it to the body which would've looked terrible especially since it can't be hidden. It just wouldn't have worked. This way the driver fits in the pickguard slot and I can rout the pickup cavity long enough for the base of the sustainer and I also have no problems with mounting the driver cause it'll be mounted to the pickguard. (this was the practical reason)

2. Neon knobs look far better on black than on grey. I've never like the grey body and the pickguard makes them stand out better and allows for more combinations. And it's a step closer to looking like a jem. (cosmetic reason)

Cheers
Themi
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Just an update on how it's going. . .

I installed the pickguard yesterday. Electronics is going to have to wait until after
exams.

I highly recommend the pick holder for the headstock. Got it for about $5 from UK e b a y. I have no idea what I'm going to do about the electronics cover.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 10:08 PM

you have a back stop of some sort. What is it?
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2008, 10:14 PM Thread Starter

Its the Ibanez backstop. I can't seem to get the installation right because it is very noisey(clunky) and decreases flutter. It's not supposed to be like that so there's a problem with how I've installed it. I'm gonna need to look over the backstop install guide at some point.

Have any of you jemsiters with a backstop installed managed to get it without decreasing flutter and being noisy? I know Vai has so it's not impossible. The reason why the backstop is sought after is because of its ability to return to pitch and maintain flutter.

Tags
ibanez , pickguard , rg570 , sustainer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode