my RGT42 mods thus far - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

my RGT42 mods thus far

ok so i got this RGT42 in january, i guess 2 months before official release... so yeah to the point, this is what i have done, and what i plan, gimme some input... i ditched the INF1 and INF2 pickups for Duncan JB in the bridge and Duncan TB4 in the neck, and i ditched the LoTRS II trem for the origional Edge out of my 95 RG570FM... my next upgrade will be the new floyd rose speed loader trem hopefully, if i can make it work and all, and then, i'm gonna take my dremil to the back of it, hollow out the sides, make an f hole above the pickups, in the void area of the top, put a nice piece of maple over the hollow areas, and scallop the fretboard... gimme some opinions, and maybe some pointers, i'm doing all the work myself, including the scalloping... gonna get me a buncha round files, small ones mostly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 10:08 PM

Sounds cool! Have you seen the new RGT42SE from Japan?

The only thing i have my doubts about is hollowing out the body to make it a pseudo-hollowbody. What's your reasoning behind wanting to do this?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 10:15 PM Thread Starter

i've liked the tone of all the semi hollows i've played, always sounded great... and the RGT42SE is cool looking, but it still has those horrid INF1 and INF2's lol
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 11:11 PM

The Edge fit into the LoTrs cavity??
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 11:32 PM Thread Starter

well i can't pull the saddles back very far in case i have severe intonation problems, but yeah it fit... i had to shave a tiny bit of the sides of it where it goes from fat to thin so as to accomodate, but, it fit fine and works great, also got more sustain cause the edge is made so much better
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian
i've liked the tone of all the semi hollows i've played, always sounded great...
Yes, they do sound great, but semi-hollow guitars are designed and built that way. Most of them, other than the Tele thinline type of guitars, have more in common with acoustic guitar construction methods than with solidbody electric guitars.

I'm not trying to discourage you... i just want to give you a heads-up to let you know that the results you get may not be what you had in mind.

You might want to start by experimenting with a bolt-on guitar, rather than your RGT. That way, if anything screwy happens, you haven't destroyed your entire guitar... just the body. I'd take an RG body and use a thickness planer to shave about 1/8" or 1/4" off the top of the body, then use a router or your dremel to carve chambers out of the top of the body rather than the back. Top it with a thin top which you can bend over the forearm contour, re-route it, and see how it works.

By the way, you mentioned that you put a JB in the bridge and a TB-4 in the neck... the TB-4 is a trem-spaced JB. Was that intentional or just a model number mixup? If it was intentional, how does the JB sound in the neck?
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 12:49 AM Thread Starter

i took the pickups out of my Jackson RR5, i don't use that guitar much cause it doesn't have a tremelo, its tune-o-matic(ewwwww) and won't stay in tune for me, probly needs new tuning machines... anyways the JB sounded alright in the neck but for some reason the TB4 just didn't seem as hot as the JB, so i put the JB in the bridge, which provided for a killer crunch, and the TB4 in the neck which gave awesome clean when used with coil tapping and also provided a nice amount of bass over the JB... i tried both ways to see which sounded better, and wound up with the config i have now, the JB bridge and TB4 neck... the pickup in the RR5 was sposed to be a SH4, which is also in the JB line, but i looked at the sticker on the bottom of the pickups, and they clearly said JB and TB4, not SH4 like u'd suspect
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 11:30 AM

Hate to appear ignorant, but what exactly is a Floyd Rose "speed loader trem?"
Albert
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 06:55 PM Thread Starter

oh u don't sound ignorant, its a brand new tremelo, go check it out its on the main page of www.floydrose.com .... can't order it yet, but it will be available soon
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 07:39 PM

why don't you just drop a floyd rose original into it? there would be no routing involed and the sustain would be better than that of the lo-trs II. i dig the lo-pro better myself(duh!), but too much wood and paint is going to fly off when you start routing the top. as for new pickups, why don't you try the dimarzio bluesbucker in the neck, it'll give you more of a p90 tone...similar to that of a hollowbody with a humbucker. i really recommend that you don't hollow it out, the odds are stacked against you on that choice.

rich
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-07-2002, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

i don't want an origional rose. i really want to try this speedloader trem, it looks badass.... and as for the hollowing, i got the idea from what billy gibbons has done to all his les pauls... he hollows out the body as much as possible, then he takes the fretboard off and hollows under the neck too... i'm not gonna take my fretboard off, but i think it would be badass to hollow out the body... and i don't want to do it from the top, i don't want to repaint the top, if i do it from the back, i can put the new piece of wood over it, sand it smooth, get rid of the groove, then take black spray paint and repaint the back of it black... that way it doesn't look bad on the front... i've thought this thru pretty well...

Tags
acoustic guitar , coil tap , coil tapping , electric guitar , floyd rose , les paul , les pauls

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode