My S2170 has some problems...can they be fixed and would it be worth it? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

My S2170 has some problems...can they be fixed and would it be worth it?

Ok, so I have an S2170FW. I dragged it out of its case after nearly a year last night and sat down to play.

At first, I got a real sense of "Why did I ever retire this guitar, its awesome"

But after playing it for a while I realised it has some problems that diminish its potential.

The first of them is the non-matching radius of the saddles and neck. I know I can get this fixed.

THe other problem is somewhat less certain. For one thing, it really doesn't sustain that well. My S7320 is a cheaper non-prestige guitar and sustains longer. I look at them and the neck on the 2170 is higher out of the pocket than the 7's is, which I know can cause that a little, but to that extent?

It also seems to have a more rounded, less defined attack, acoustically, than my 7. Looking at the neck, it seems theres absolutely no back angle in the pocket. I know on an acoustic that can make the tone muddy compared to one with a small angle, is it the same with this guitar? Would lowering the neck pocket mean a little more back angle and would that help the sound?

Edit: Rich, if you happen to stumble on this, any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 10:26 AM

Re: My S2170 has some problems...can they be fixed and would it be worth it?

Where in the Uk are you based? You might want to look up Max Cottam.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 03:16 PM

Reviews: 120

Shim your saddles to closer match the radius of the neck. I use slivers of emery paper.

To increase sustain and brighten the tone get a brass big block for your trem. Your guitar has an Edge/Lo Pro doesnt it?
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

No, Original ZR.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode