My trip to Dallas - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 01:31 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 4
My trip to Dallas

I took a little time to go to Dallas to see Steel Panther. If you haven't seen them, you should. They are great!! Anyway, as I usually do, my friend and I hit about 30 Pawn Shops. Last time I was in Dallas, it was a TOTAL bust, nothing even interesting. This time, I hit paydirt. I found a 1982 Ibanez Artist Lefty in near perfect condition. Also i found an Ibanez USA Custom Guillotine. Not perfect, but not bad at all. Pretty good score for one weekend!! On a side note, I went to Dave Anderson's Zoo Music. I saw a nice mid 80's Kramer Barreta with a custom skull and rose graphic, I asked what they wanted for it figuring around $800 since I bought one from a local store for that. I nearly **** myself when the owner came back with $2500.

Last edited by dccomputersa; 05-24-2010 at 01:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 04:01 AM

Re: My trip to Dallas

You found a "Chop Shop" in a pawn shop? Unbelievable. Can't tell you how many pawn shops I've hit in Big D over the years and found jack. And I've NEVER found a deal in Zoo. Not sure how they stay in business unless it's selling old amp cabs or cheap PA gear.

Nice scores! Let's see some pics!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

I will get some pics as soon as I can. I didn't actually have all the cash so they are layawayed for now. My friend in Dallas has the tickets and as soon as I am done paying, he will ship them to San Antonio. I went to both locations of Zoo Music and they have some really nice stuff, but NONE of it is priced to move. The guy must have ****loads of cash to stay in business like that. I don't get it. Also, the guy at the pawnshop told me that he sold a "pink Jem with vines on the fretboard" a couple weeks earlier. Sometime your to late, even when ya get something good.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 07:05 AM

I had the same deal in Orlando. This guy had a PRS bolt-on (which I wasn't going to buy but wanted to see what he was charging. When he said $3000, I laughed myself silly and he threw me out of his place.

Virginia seems ok for pawn shops so far tho no one really has anything decent.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 09:50 AM

As you probably know, the pawn shops in San Antonio are full of garbage. I went to Austin a few months ago specifically to drive up and down Lamar to visit all the guitar shops:

Gibson, Fender, Gibson, Fender, Fender, Fender, Gibson, Fender, Gibson, Gibson, Gibson, Fender, Fender, Gibson, Fender, Gibson, Gibson Fender...

I guess I shouldn't be surprised. It is Austin after all. When I think about music in Austin its either blues or indie rock. If I ever go shoping for a 74 25th anniversary Les Paul, like Rhoade's or Zappa's, I'll know where to visit.

The stuff I was after was ALL in the pawn shops. I saw an Ibanez Roadstar and of course the Kramer Focus 1000 I bought. I proceeded to head back to some of those shops only to get blank stares when I asked if they had any "tools for a Floyd Rose". In one shop they weren't aware those were even made anymore. That shop, however, had several original Roger Mayer octavia's from the late 60s. Even though the hired help was all younger guys, I'm guessing Floyds aren't their bag.

My point is that I'm not surprised that you found good stuff in a pawn shop in Dallas.

Last edited by RedTiger; 05-24-2010 at 09:56 AM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 01:47 PM

You should have hit up the pawn shops in Ft Worth and Arlington too. I've found some unbelievable deals in these past few months
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 03:14 PM Thread Starter

I wanted to check Arlington and Ft Worth but I didn't get a chance. My friend was having an all day and night birthday party, and since I was staying at his house.............. Anyway, maybe next time I will.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 04:24 PM

I go down to Zoo music quite a lot, they make good deals on new gear
but really go for blood on used stuff. I saw that Jem they had and it
was totaly beat to hell and back yet they wanted $2500.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

I saw it. Ibanez Jem Floral Pattern. No interest here, especially not at that price.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode