Mystery RG - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Mystery RG

About 2 years ago, I saw an RG in a guitar shop over here in the UK (Percy Priors) and I haven't been able to track down it's model number now that I want to find a used one. I've called the shop and they were unable to help. I also checked the old catalogues on Ibanezrules but couldn't find it there either.

It was a black RG with the AANJ. 2 humbuckers and a Wilkinson trem bridge. All the hardware was black, it had locking tuners too.

Can any of you guys help me out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
It was an RG621. I remember seeing those advertised Unfortunately the RGx21 designation has been used more recently to denote guitars witha fender style hardtail so much confusion will ensue when you go looking for one

Good luck
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 03:09 PM

interesting... they have a hardtail RG621 now in Japan.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/japan/el_gui..._rx/rg621.html

just adds to the confusion i guess...
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 06:12 AM Thread Starter

Thanks jono

Now the search for one shall begin. Google didn't throw up anything but the hardtail model.

Looks like I'm in for a long wait
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

I think you are in for a long and difficult journey These guitars weren't in any catalogues that I remember, and were only sold at Percy Priors as far as I recall.

I personally think placing an advert in the "readers ads" in "Guitarist Magazine" with a good description, focusing on the Wilkinson bridge will be your best bet.

I will say that you should thouroughly bring yourself up to speed on the current RG range, which include some models with vintage type trems, and the RT series which was in a vintage RG style released in 92.

Good Luck and if you get one, send us some photos
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 12:37 PM

I dont see this Wilkinson your talking about. The 621 has a Gotoh fixed like the 7621,7421,RG421, ect. I also don't think I've EVER seen Ibanez build a guitar that comes with locking tuners. The only kind of RGs with "Wilkes" are the piece o crap 120s ect. Unless Im missing something here.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADWELL
I dont see this Wilkinson your talking about. The 621 has a Gotoh fixed like the 7621,7421,RG421, ect. I also don't think I've EVER seen Ibanez build a guitar that comes with locking tuners. The only kind of RGs with "Wilkes" are the piece o crap 120s ect. Unless Im missing something here.
The RT650 has locking tuners; i own one. and I think the RX750 does too.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADWELL
You won't "see" it. It didn't appear in any catalogues, it was available for about a year and was sold, to the best of my knowledge (which was at the time pretty damn comprehensive ) in just one shop in the whole of the UK.

I'm not gonna say only 24 were made but you get the idea

As I said before the RG621 designation has been used again since, on a different guitar which as we all can see, only adds to the confusion.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 08:00 PM

Madwell, you're very wrong about the locking tuners. Ibanez has made MANY models with Magnum locking tuners (RT650, RX750, RV470, SV470, and others). Also, one of the 1997-98 reissue Blazers (BL1025) came with a Wilkinson bridge and Sperzel locking tuners.
Bert
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-24-2012, 11:57 PM

Re: Mystery RG

I know this thread is almost 10 years old, but I think I just found a 621 for sale locally and am trying to get my hands on it.

Does anyone know the specs. Google does not seem to have any info.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-25-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshanew View Post
I know this thread is almost 10 years old, but I think I just found a 621 for sale locally and am trying to get my hands on it.

Does anyone know the specs. Google does not seem to have any info.
This thread is probably the definitive reference on these guitars. I'd pm jono and get him back in the thread; if he doesn't know, I don't know how you're going to find it.

Peace

Mike
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-27-2012, 01:44 PM

I ended up finding info after digging deep, but when I went to pick it up the guy showed up with an RG 170 instead of the pictured RG 502. Oh well

Tags
guitar shop , locking tuners , sperzel locking , sperzel locking tuners , wilkinson trem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode