The mystical s540 J-Custom - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 10:52 PM Thread Starter

The mystical s540 J-Custom

How much do these go for used? I'm going to make a guy an offer and I can't find anything out about this guitar. I wanted a s540ltd but the J-Customs look very nice. I want to get an idea of how much more I'd be paying. I know a lot about the s540ltd's including how much they go for new and used. I'm having a hard time figuring this one out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 10:59 PM
Vendor

There are actually many different S540 JC's, you'd have to be more specific of the model. Of course your location could heavily restict what's available.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 11:14 PM

If you could get us either the model name (S-540-JAPAN, S-5400-NT, S-3040-PL(BS), etc) or a pic, that would help.

Notes:
- There's only one guy in the world who does the finish on the S-540-JAPAN. It's EXTREMELY caustic (to apply; not to own/play), and the guy who does them is guaranteed to die sooner rather than later. Cheery little fact, eh? :-) Very cool finish though.
- The S-5400-NT's are HEAVY. Makes a LesP*ul feel like balsa wood. LOL Gorgeous guitars...just ask Andy Martin. He's got one. (www.andymartinmusic.com) Check out the videos.
- The S-3040-PL and -BS are great guitars that can be found at normal prices (right around $1K). Probably the most widely available J-Customs, but still tough to find. PL is for Pearl White and BS is the sunburst finish.
- There are some new J-C's out of Japan that are pretty sweet. Check out the S-9870. Lookin' good!
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-18-2002, 11:19 PM
Vendor

And if the Japan didn't have that "Custom Made" inlay it would be a sweet ride, as is it's cheesy for a J Custom, but I've noticed a few more JC models that have had that inlay.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 06:12 AM

I bet Jeremy could get rid of that 21st fret eyesore and replace it with something cool...

Hey Jeremy, I bet that would be a common request...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Wow I didn't know there were so many models. I like the custom thing at the 21 fret. I searched the archive and found that post about one guy making all those finishes. That's amazing. I don't like the off center dot inlays like the s9870 has. I really like this though.

http://www.geocities.com/xcvxcv65/ib...-s540japan.htm
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 07:13 PM

Is it possible that these s series necks used the same type of cnc router as the korean JS series rich? Might explain why they stuff that ugly custom made inlay in there. Probably not, but i like to ponder these things
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 09:16 PM

I played one of those S9870s in Tokyo...quite an amazing piece! I was surprised at how different it felt (satin neck through). Solid feel...still not fully convinced about neck through tone on an Ibanez.

guitarizt- Another nice S is the Presitige S2540 (looks just like the one on the Andy Martin site minus the single coil).

Those abalone oval inlays on the JC look just like the ones on the 90s S540FM models...another great economical option. There is something about 90s S necks that just feels right.
Greg
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 09:28 PM
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
Is it possible that these s series necks used the same type of cnc router as the korean JS series rich? Might explain why they stuff that ugly custom made inlay in there. Probably not, but i like to ponder these things
Of course any cnc has to be programed in with the data to make the cuts, that plaque wouldn't be there unless they wanted it to be.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 09:32 PM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
any doubts that "custom made" plaque is a first-ballot entry into the IBANEZ HALL OF SHAME. If ibanez only knew what fun ebayers would have with them a decade later ...glen
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 10:04 PM

hall of shame it is, right along with the pink lions claw on the LNG 777
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

So what model is this and where can I get it? What models are very similar to it? This is the one I want but it might not be possible to find for a reasonable price. Maybe I'm cheap but I don't want to have to drop a grand on a used guitar right now. If I had that much I'd probably get a jackson soloist, lol.

http://www.geocities.com/xcvxcv65/ib...-s540japan.htm

<edit> And how can I tell what guitars are j customs? And I was having a hard time finding s540ltd's......
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperfrommars1
The S series has had that plaque since its inception in the late '80s. Ibanez has only recently started *not* putting the inlay in.

It's entirely possible that Korean JS necks use the same program...

guitarizt - I really dig that guitar. The finish is reminiscent of Donnies. Plus, bound necks are yummy.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 11:24 PM

Feel wise, a 1520 should be close, and a lot cheaper. For that matter, a mid 90's 540 should. But if you want all the fancy details, you gotta pay...

speaking of Jackson, the Stealth Professionals were nice...
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2002, 11:42 PM Thread Starter

Yeah after searching around and reading more today I realized that me finding a j custom is probably not going to happen. There is a guy on harmony central who said he has one. He lives in Australia but I don't think I have enough money for one. I had no idea how rare they were. Oh well I guess I'll try to find a black s540ltd again which is hard enough. =)

Tags
andy martin , dot inlay , dot inlays , jackson soloist , sunburst finish

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode