n00b question: Are some/most/all Ibanez RG and JEM pickguards interchangable? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

n00b question: Are some/most/all Ibanez RG and JEM pickguards interchangable?

I want a new pickguard for my Japanese RG450DX. It's front-routed, has pickguard-mounted electronics, and I can't see any noticeable difference between the 450 pickguard and that of any other RG. When I contacted a seller blowing out a bunch of RG550 and JEM pickguards, he said a regular guard wouldn't work, and I'd have to custom order.

I've been staring at my guard, along with actual pics of the pickguards beings sold, and can't tell a lick of difference. Not going to lie: The mechanic in me wants to buy one and make it fit. Tools/skills available. Thoughts?

My geetar:

Pickguard in question:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 04:18 PM

Reviews: 21
Re: n00b question: Are some/most/all Ibanez RG and JEM pickguards interchangable?

Some might look directly interchangeable, but they're not. Some of the screw holes are in different spots depending on the model. Your 450DX looks okay but, for example, I got an RG550 pickguard from Jeannie for my 350DX. The hole for the guard on the lower cutaway is drilled further back on the 350 in comparison to the 550.
The same goes for back plates. The holes might be drilled in different spots for different models. I guess Ibanez just likes to frustrate you with the small stuff. LOL!
I filled my old holes with toothpick shavings and wood glue, then drilled new holes for the new pickguard. No big deal.
I don't know about other aftermarket suppliers. IMO, the big issue would be to make sure the new pickguard lines up your pickups right. Jeannie is pretty good, though.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Re: n00b question: Are some/most/all Ibanez RG and JEM pickguards interchangable?

Works for me. Anybody care to comment on pg color? I'm thinking black or clear.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 04:41 PM

Reviews: 7

Black
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Welp, just ordered up a black guard supposedly made for an RG550. I'm kind of excited to see what it'll need for a good fit.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-05-2009, 11:29 PM

Who did you order from? I"m looking for one myself.

Thanks.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarmattms View Post
Who did you order from? I"m looking for one myself.

Thanks.
Looks like this guy on **** is blowing out a bunch of NOS stuff. Since that dreaded auction site apparently can't be linked here, the seller's name is aiguitars. Check out the store, under 'Big Inventory Blowout Sale.' A few tele pickguards, then pages upon pages of Ibanez stuff.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2009, 04:43 PM

OK, cool.

I've found his store before. I'm having a hard time finding a nice pickguard for the 350ex as well. However, he does have some 350 pickguards for around 16 dollars there. Which is a lot better than 35-55 dollars... I think it's outrageous what some people charge for pickguards.

Thanks again.

Tags
rg450 pickguard fit swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode