N4 compared to an Ibanez - Looking for input please - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

N4 compared to an Ibanez - Looking for input please

I'm just wondering how great of a guitar is the N4? *Can you get Nuno's tone easily? *After hearing him play, I crave that "wood tone". *Is it a big switch from playing a high end RG?
I'm not looking to buy one, but I'd like to live thru someone else who has one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 02:07 PM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1
N4 compared to an Ibanez

I love Nuno's tone too, especially on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th extreme albums... (hang on a minute )

Personally I think Nuno's tone is readily available from the N4 just as much as Vai's tone is easily available from the JEM7VWH. It's in there and it's easier to get something that sounds like the guy than it is to get a tone that sounds nothing like the guy.

The biggest difference for me is firstly the 22 frets, which is ok cos I'm sort of used to that with all the JS guitars around here. But if you're not used to the switch between 22 and 24 that's something to watch out for.

The other thing is the funny "Stephen's extended cutaway" neck joint which means that you kind of have to play with your thumb behind the neck much past the 15th fret or so.

Oh and the weirdest think for me at least is the switch isn't where you expect it after playing an RG.

if you find a cheap one second hand or even dare I say it... on ebay, treat yourself, I'm sure you can move it along for what you paid for it and you'll have had loads of fun along the way

Particular ones to look out for are the padouk (paduak?)ones which have a lovely raw mahogany sort of sounds. Or the ultra crisp swamp ash ones (later models). Or you could go for the original Alder bodied ones. Oh and they also did some limited edition mahogany/quilted maple ones too, in both black and cherry sunbursts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

N4 compared to an Ibanez

oh yeah... and they also did 75 hand signed and numbered ones in Korina with gold hardware.

When I found one I couldn't afford it and by the time I'd saved the £3000 for it, it had sold
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 05:55 PM

N4 compared to an Ibanez

Which one is the blue one I've seen him with?

Have you all checked Mourning Widows out???
ABSOLUTELY INMENSE!!!!!!!!

julio
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2001, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

N4 compared to an Ibanez

I've got the "furnished souls for rent" cd

And which Blue one...?

They did the N4 in sea foam green (the swamp ash one) Nuno also used to use a Washburn P4 in "Tiffany Blue" a sort of really pale blue Les Paul type guitar.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-04-2001, 01:56 PM

N4 compared to an Ibanez

Since i don't like any Ibanezes, exept Jems, my choice would be prety easy. A friend of mine has a N2, which kicks butt and I guess the N4 wouldn't be a lesser guitar...

However comparing N4's to Ibanezes is kind of like comparing apples to bananas, since they are quite different guitars.

Peace!

Micke
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 12:47 AM

Reviews: 5
N4 compared to an Ibanez

I had *the cheapie version, without the stephans extended cutaway.I did like the sound a lot.That "wood tone" is easy to get on it.At the time, though, I couldn't get used to the body, and the axe was a bit top heavy,so I got a warmoth body, set it up like a strat except H S S,and *washburn's floyd. I still have it today, and it just screams.Also, thats the guitar that got me hooked on Bill Lawrence PUPs. If it had 24 frets, it would be my main axe. Actually, until I got my jem, it was. :biggrin:
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 11:03 AM

N4 compared to an Ibanez

I had a swamp ash N4, and it was a great guitar.
If I could have one again I would, but without the trem bar. I hate their trem, compared to an Edge.

The Lawrence pup was not to my taste, so I swapped in a stock Jackson pup I had laying around, and it sounded like a dream.

As for the extended cutaway, it was the best. I wish Ibanez would do something like that with their RG's
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 11:08 PM

N4 compared to an Ibanez

I own one of the first N4s i think it is simply a great guitar easy to play light and well balanced. Also dig the cutaway that just kicks. One of these days id love to find the paduak one and pick that up also.

Tags
alder bodied , les paul , neck joint , quilted maple , swamp ash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode