Natural finish on rg560 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Natural finish on rg560

I've recently sanded the finish of of my rg560. i was going to refinish it but school starts soon, and I'm not going to have time. i'm thinking about routing the neck pickup for a humbucker and putting a pickguard on it.(pickguard mostly to cover up bad routing job, but also for not such a plain look)

it has black hardware and a rosewood fretboard. I was wondering if you guys have any pics of natural colored guitars that I can get ideas from like what color for the pickguard and pickups and such. Even if you don't have pics, please suggest some good ideas.

Also, I'm going to change the pickups. I'm thinking and evolution in the bridge. What recomendations for the neck single coil/ possible humbucker? I'll also put a push/pull pot for the humbucker(s).

Thanks in advance

EDIT: I forgot this was going to be my tune down/bluesy jazz guitar with blocked bridge and thicker strings. I need some pickups that will be crunchy and thick but bluesy and jazzy when coil tapped. also, I thikn the middle pickup is in a different spot than my 570. I'm not sure if a pickguard will fit it, but I might just do two hums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

whats that site where you can customize your jem to see it would look?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 01:02 AM

The middle single is a little farther forward, so while you're doing your routing, you could bring back the middle single cavity a bit. It would be an extra big cavity but the pickguard will cover it. It's actually the reason I never routed it for a neck humbucker. But the tradeoff is that I think the bridge/middle position sounds better with that greater distance.

I haven't tried the Air Classic, but it might be a great neck humbucker for that guitar.

Natural looks good with white pearloid or tortoise shell, albeit a little cliche nowadays. Maybe a vintage cream pearloid would be another way to go. With black hardware I think a black guard would be too boring.

By the way, if you want to rout it over here let me know.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 08:02 AM

the site where you can design your jem is:

http://www.nymphusa.com/tele/

then you can see what you like best
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratman219
whats that site where you can customize your jem to see it would look?
It's http://www.nymphusa.com/kisekae/bookmark.asp

They have RG's now as well
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 03:27 PM

Anything like this ???

Althou it's totally differant now like this

Hope thats food for thought

Rob
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

my guitar teacher has one like that. I think it looks much better with a maple fretboard, but mine has rosewood.

thanks for the offer frank, but my uncle is into woodworking, he lives much closer.

I was thinking maybe even staining it red or blue with a pearl pickguard. It looked pretty nice on the jem maker thing. But I still don't want to spend time on a clear coat. Is there anyway to put on a clear coat quick and easy? In woods class I used wipe on poly to finish some of my projects, I don't think that will work on a guitar though.

I also have a set of powder cosmo from my rg570 I could switch and use, depending on the color I choose.

Pickups will be the last thing I choose, depending on which guitar I would rather have being my 2nd main shred guitar(my DBK being the first ) I like the feel of the 560 neck better anyway. So maybe not make this a "metal" looking guitar for tuning down. I don't know, I'm VERY indecisive.

Besides not having that much time to refiinsh it, I don't want to spend so much time that I'll make it a trophy guitar and not play it much. thats how it was with my jem at first, but now I rarely pick up my 570.

Thanks for the input guys, keep the suggestions coming.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2003, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murray
the site where you can design your jem is:

http://www.nymphusa.com/tele/

then you can see what you like best
Hey, that's pretty cool!
Greg
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2003, 01:47 AM Thread Starter

I routed the pickup cavity. now i just have to figure out what i'm going to do. must have a pickguard. i'm considering a veneer on it. not sure though. i'll keep you updated for anyone who even cares..lol

Tags
clear coat , coil tap , maple fret , maple fretboard , neck humbucker , neck pickup , pearl pickguard , pickup cavity , rosewood fretboard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode