Natural wood finish lightweight locking trem Ibanez models? - Page 2 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 12:07 PM

Re: Natural wood finish lightweight locking trem Ibanez models?

It seems like a cool guitar with some thoughtful mods, and the Roadstar neck will give it a different vibe to what you already have.

Also, given that a case is included makes it a better deal, especially if it's a period correct chainsaw case, those things can go for stupid money sometimes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob493 View Post
Thats a roadstar ii neck; but I'll explain... So, in short, YES get the serial number; if it starts with F, Id HIGHLY recommend getting it. Those roadstar ii necks are FANTASTIC. I absolutely love mine. Its a bit more rounded, its extremely similar to a viper neck if you've played one. For me personally, its my favorite ibanez neck.
I second that... My favorite neck also. Very comfortable and more c-shaped. Unless you like very skinny necks, you can't go wrong!
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfd986 View Post
The serial is F717023 Here's the full ad:

Ibanez S540. Made in Japan. Fabulous sounding and playing guitar. Looks like a coffee table and it performs outstanding. It has a stripped down mahogany body with an EDGE trem, DiMarzio CrunchLab in the bridge and 2 Chevalier single coils..('57 neck and '62 in the middle), Bourns low friction pot for the volume and a high friction pot for the tone and an Orange Drop capacitior. This is a great shredder that can handle any style of music you want to play on it. Sounds great with high gain and cleans up very nicely when you roll the volume back.
haha yeah, exactly what I said then. If it plays nice, and youre in the buyers mood; Id definitely say grab it. Comes with the case too; thats pretty cool.
bob493 is online  
post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfd986 View Post
The serial is F717023 Here's the full ad:

Ibanez S540. Made in Japan. Fabulous sounding and playing guitar. Looks like a coffee table and it performs outstanding. It has a stripped down mahogany body with an EDGE trem, DiMarzio CrunchLab in the bridge and 2 Chevalier single coils..('57 neck and '62 in the middle), Bourns low friction pot for the volume and a high friction pot for the tone and an Orange Drop capacitior. This is a great shredder that can handle any style of music you want to play on it. Sounds great with high gain and cleans up very nicely when you roll the volume back.
haha yeah, exactly what I said then. If it plays nice, and youre in the buyers mood; Id definitely say grab it. Comes with the case too; thats pretty cool.
Because of covid, I had to try it out in his van. Not the best scenario considering my joint and posture issues etc but his Yamaha thr got me enough to be able to hear it, and it's light. 6.5 lbs on the dot.

It was originally blue, he stripped it and put 5 coats of tung oil on it. I can't feel an overcoat like a poly or nitro finish, which may be a really good thing since I'm into woodworking and would be pretty jazzed about refinishing a guitar such as this one.

I bought it, will play the hell out of it at home, gonna plug it in right now. He threw in a new set of strings and apologized profoundly for the old ones he had on. He was selling because he has collected and maintained over 30 guitars and blames his obesity on his guitar hobby. His brother had a recent heart attack and he's trying to be more active so he's shaving the collection down. He insisted that this guitar "will slay" other shredders, I don't know how much slaying and shredding I'll be doing but I'm optimistic that it'll handle my Van Halen, Motley Crue and other needs.

I'm gonna keep my search alerts up for an "all-original" Ibanez S with natural finish, but I'm not going to bother shelling out for one if I have this one. If it plays well enough for me (it seemed to in the van) then I should be more than happy with it, the CrunchLab kicked out awesome dirty tones and the Chevalier 59/62 single coils were super clean.

One thing I did think it was missing, was a sexy photo. Mine is attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20210222_134024_HDR_1614020239471.jpg (6.28 MB, 14 views)
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 03:01 PM

Nice man! Im actually kinda jealous... That middle piece of mahogany actually gives it a "neck through" kinda vibe, not the worst situation to happen here. That case looks legit too, what is it??? The only thing that irritates me is he cheaped out on a plastic pickup ring lol. That said, Im pretty sure it'll play great and you should honestly love it.
bob493 is online  
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Nice man! Im actually kinda jealous... That middle piece of mahogany actually gives it a "neck through" kinda vibe, not the worst situation to happen here. That case looks legit too, what is it??? The only thing that irritates me is he cheaped out on a plastic pickup ring lol. That said, Im pretty sure it'll play great and you should honestly love it.
Haha yeah I am thinking of buying a metal pickup ring to do this thing justice, but because I'm a hobby woodworker, I'm also toying with the idea of making 1 or 3 out of some sort of wood and dropping it/them in. There's no end to the whole "but you could just make" thing when you woodwork for fun.

He said it was an aftermarket case, it has seen better days. Pictures are attached, be less jealous of me after you see the outside lol. I guess I'm not used to buying cases that are somewhat worn though, so this may not be as bad as others have seen. I am mainly concerned with the inside lining and overall structural integrity, and there are no issues with that.

I do not have the key. I anticipate this will not be a pressing issue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 16140231690365185291483259181656_1614023182470.jpg (2.28 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 16140231889791524698742805721827_1614023218282.jpg (1.35 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 16140232325714357674875685425980_1614023266553.jpg (2.42 MB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 16140233731938772236279349970595_1614023391154.jpg (4.50 MB, 6 views)
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2021, 04:04 PM

Good going! If this is your first old MIJ Ibanez, now you can see why we get all hot and bothered about them.

It almost has a neck through vibe with the middle piece of mahogany being evenly centred.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode