NDG - Ibanez Prestige RGA121H - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 12:05 PM Thread Starter

NDG - Ibanez Prestige RGA121H

I have been wanting another hardtail Ibanez for a while but was having real trouble finding something that I liked. I then got a great deal on a used, but absolutely mint, RGA121H in dark ruby.

Its not the finish I wanted, I would have liked the Violin or natural finish, but never mind, they are extremely hard to find in the UK as it is so I wasnt going to turn down a good deal! I did actually have it in my head that I would refinish it in gloss black or even green (the same as JB from August Burns Red) but since seeing how faultless the finish is I am now in two minds!

Here it is when it arrived..

I had some white EMG 81/85 pickups ordered before the guitar turned up as I have played the V7 and V8 before and wasn't overly keen. I chose white to go with the gloss black or green finish I had in mind, so it may not be everyone's cup of tea with the ruby finish, although I quite like it!

When both the guitar and pickups arrived I soon noticed they weren't going to fit.... Sh*t. I then read numerous threads on this forum and other forums saying it was a lot of work to get them in and not worth it etc, so I was a bit gutted.

I decided to give it a go anyway and on removing the the old pickups I could see it was only the corners of the cavity that were stopping them going in. Literally a mm on each corner. I was going to use a dremel to open up the corners of the cavity but decided against it, and filed the corners of the pickup instead. I taped off the top half of the pickup as my guide and filed the corners off up to this line. you can see from the pictures below what I took off each corner..

BEFORE:

AFTER:

As you can see its not massive amounts, but enough to make them fit. If your neat enough you wouldn't know any different when they are fitted, and they can still be used on rings on other guitars without being visible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

Re: NDG - Ibanez Prestige RGA121H

In the cavity was some foam and a wooden block, which the V7 and V8 sat on. This also needed to come out and the EMG's are a lot deeper, so a few taps with a chisel and it came out with ease. Then a quick sand to tidy it up.

After that is done the pickups can then all be fitted. Not really much work involved. The guitar can be returned to standard by gluing a couple of wooden blocks in the cavity with the old foam on top, and the pickups are only filed in areas not visible once fitted.

I am still waiting for a 3 way switch before I can try it out, but that should be tonight! I cant wait! Like I said though, not to everyone's taste, but I may still refinish it but I'm really not sure!

Here's a couple of pics with the EMGs fitted..

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 02:46 PM

Nice guitar! And I think you did the right thing regarding the pick-ups (meaning that you took off from pu rather then the cavity) looks really good.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 03:32 PM

Happy ngd.I have a natural finish rga121 and it really is an awesome guitar
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 04:04 PM

Love the finish on this guitar so much. It's literally the only brand new production Ibanez I ever bought. Those pickups definitely make a statement!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2013, 06:39 AM Thread Starter

So I finally got the pickup wiring finished.

I had been racking my brains for 2 days as to why they weren't working properly. I had wired them up right, had a brand new battery and a known working lead and amp. It turns out after 2 days of wiring and rewiring numerous times to make sure I had everything right that my brand new and sealed battery was dead!!! Couldn't believe it!!

Anyway, its working now and I absolutely love it! Sounds just as I was hoping!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-28-2013, 09:05 PM

That's a great color! Love the EMG's.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbh14 View Post
So I finally got the pickup wiring finished.

I had been racking my brains for 2 days as to why they weren't working properly. I had wired them up right, had a brand new battery and a known working lead and amp. It turns out after 2 days of wiring and rewiring numerous times to make sure I had everything right that my brand new and sealed battery was dead!!! Couldn't believe it!!

Anyway, its working now and I absolutely love it! Sounds just as I was hoping!
That wouldn't be the first time it has happened to someone!

Glad it's working. I'm putting the white EMGs in my 2627ZE. Nice to see how they look in yours!

Well done!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBGas View Post
That wouldn't be the first time it has happened to someone!

Glad it's working. I'm putting the white EMGs in my 2627ZE. Nice to see how they look in yours!

Well done!

I guess your 2627 is black? You cant go wrong with white pickups in a black guitar in my opinion!

I'm tempted to put a set of black EMGs in the FR2620 now as well as it just sounds nowhere near as good as the RGA now!

Heres a quick pick with no wiring hanging out the back, and the controls and white selector switch..

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-30-2013, 10:27 AM

that color is just so awesome. Why cant Ibanez do something like this for Japan? Bah.

Tags
emg pickups , ibanez , prestige , rga121

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode