Nearly bought a PRS this morning... - what the hell was I th - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

Nearly bought a PRS this morning... - what the hell was I th

There's a PRS CE-24 I could pick up locally for about $800 US - purple transparent over decent flame and only one small chip. Nice case. Fair price. I'll buy it...

...only I don't like the necks that much, and the pickups are a little "soft", and that 5-way "dial" switching has to qualify as one of the most glaring functionality faux pas' in recent history to reach production, but... it's a PRS... A PRS!!! l need one!!!

ya... right... thankfully, a moment of clarity prevailed and I walked away with my VISA intact. Now where's my 7DBK?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 02:20 PM

Nearly bought a PRS this morning...

I love the purple PRS use (though the green is better)
I'm with you on the neck...more suited to Babe Ruth than any guitar player.

The pup's ain't a major issue really.
They are better than most standard pup's, but then again for a PRS you expect them to be mind boggling.
I get the impression they are kinda' neutral and are geared more towards bringing out the attributes of your "TUBE" amp, where a lot of pups try more to shape the sound.

I'd be quite happy to own one, but the first thing I would do is shave that neck down a few mm's.
I'm suprised PRS have continued with their necks to be honest (I know they do some thinner one's but don't know the models)

They can (with the right player) be awesome axe's though.
Dunno' if you've ever listened to Phil Hilborn.
Amazing player who's been around for an eternity.
He doesn't get the recognition and spends most of his time tirelessly contributing to Guitar mags and helping musicians in the U.K. through the obvious barrier they face...great guy.
I'll upload some tracks of his soon and you can see for yourself.
Oh, he plays PRS btw...(obviously)

Steve
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 05:53 PM

Oh, good save man! *You almost lost control.

To clarify a point made above, the pickups ARE a big deal. *They sound horrible. *The highs (or lack of) have the same effect of running nails down a blackboard to me.

And you are right on about the necks, as to me, they are nothing but an updated Gibson. *The quality and craftsmanship is there, but the sound and feel just are not.

Although I must admit I have heard some nice rhythm sounds out of a PRS. *However, I am not a straight up rhythm guy.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 07:23 PM

I like the PRS Dragon II pickups in my Custom 22. Then again I also like their HFS and Vintage Bass pickups in their Custom 24. They are more classic sounding than the average shred/metalhead pickups. Sometimes you need to dial in different sounds to work with them.

The first time I plugged a Jem into my rack I HATED the sound. It was too bright and midrangy - no finesse at all. This was probably because I had recently been playing my PRS and had the amp set up for it. I spent more time dialing in the proper sound for the Jem and then I loved it. Different pickups and guitars are just different tools. There are times when the PRS works better and times when the Jem is better.

About the PRSs ... most PRS models have come in wide-fat and wide-thin neck shapes. They have recently limited the CE24 to a wide-thin, but you may have been trying an old wide-fat or "standard" neck.

I agree about the rotary switch - it was very bad idea. Fortunately a 3 way with push-pull pots is a standard option. There are also kits to convert to this scheme.

Rick
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 10:07 PM

Reviews: 5

I think the only PRS I would find acceptable is Neil Schon. *That guy's done so much work to it-it's barely a PRS. *It has a Floyd Rose for cryin' out loud! *

They're pretty to look at but I hate the pickups and the neck. and soooo expensive.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 10:50 PM Thread Starter

You know the quality was there in that axe - you could go over it with a microscope and see that it was a very well put together instrument, but I own many good guitars, and I don't need another. It's just that I nearly got swept away by the hype... I mean, even if I wanted to drop a grand on a guitar right now, the last thing I'd go looking for is a PRS - but there I was holding it and thinking "What a big honking neck, and these pickups aren't too hot, and what's with this stupid switch... I'll take it!" - I nearly bought it without really thinking at all, just because it's a PRS! You could have handed me the identical guitar with the word "Epiphone" on the headstock and I would have sniffed and passed it back without a second look... It's the goddamned media, man! Advertising owns me!! :loco:

...and it's the antithesis of how I ended up back in the Jem camp. I mean, I'd flirted with Ibanez "shredder" guitars a few years back but then I got serious and replaced them all with a few good "classic" style guitars (LP, Tele, Strat) and went about my business... Then one day I see this thing with flowers all over it and I pick it up for a lark and Wow! it's like it was made for me and I'm running around on this beautiful neck and my hand knows exactly where to go like it's always been playing this guitar and what the heck are they talking about when they say this pickup config is too crowded 'cause my pick's not hitting any pups and isn't this whammy great! what a tone in that neck pickup & etc... and my friends are snickering and my "blues cred" is out the window and everyone thinks I'm right nuts, but in the seven months since I bought my first Jem the guitars I own and use have been completely turned around, but I'm hooked on them because of how they play and sound... and that's the real reason to buy a guitar selon moi :biggrin:

Jim [size=-4:ac296353b2](shutting up now already)[/size:ac296353b2]
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-29-2001, 10:55 PM

yup. same situation with me. *especially because when I was in the market the first time, the flourescents were out and I (at the time) hated they way they looked. *I thought they were incredibly gaudy and I opted for a regular RG. *Several years later I found myself with a good chunk of cash and the opportunity to buy what I wanted. *My friend suggested I try a JEM7VWH. *I didn't even realize it was the same brand as the flourescent ones I had avoided 10 years earlier. *I loved it and found the looks perfect. *Funny how your perspective changes.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 02:38 AM

Well, if you are comparing PRS pickups to shred pickups, then you could say they sound great. *It seems to me that a great pickup has a completely balanced tone that is very warm, and has subtle nuances that give it its own identity. *Pickups like this usually have low resistance and low output, but the actual *tone* of the pickup is unattainable by anything else. *Some examples being a vintage strat pickup or an original PAF. *I've played through some of these and also some replicas, and they all have a certain characteristic and desirable squeal (and I don't mean harmonics) that pickups like the Evo's don't have.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-30-2001, 04:32 PM

I HATE that type of pickup. *I'm sure everyone would say of their pickups "it has tone and definition, and the kind of sound that blah blah blah.." I think the case could be made for most pickups that way.

In my case, the PRS I tried, I wanted to do a number of things.
* I wanted a lead tone that cut through my rhythm guitarist's mix.
* I wanted enough output to sustain long tapping runs
* I wanted artificial harmonics to be easily attained.

None of these things are possible on my PRS Custom 24. *There's something to be said for every type of gear I suppose but I personally can't stomach that weak-ass sound. *It's very Cat Stevens...
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 12:30 AM

To each his own I guess.
I love it when people get all down on PRS like its going to hurt them to say its a decent guitar.
I myself have many many Ibanez guitars, but play my PRS custome 24 constantly.
I found the neck to be a very easy fit, and actually a little thin for me.
The pickups are fine, and after all you can change them. Im sure with the nice wood they put in these guitars you can find some Dimarzios to complement them.
Getting use to a guitar is a big factor to. Harmonics are not hard at all once you play it for a bit. Were not talking months, but like a day. There is just a little bit of a sweet spot to find. Besides that should tell you that the sound will always be smooth. It wont just jump out and squell if your trying to play.
give a PRS a chance Its not hurting you....
well i hope not....
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-02-2001, 12:50 AM

For the cost of one PRS Singlecut, you could get an RG3120, and a 7620, and still have money left over. *Apples to oranges? *Yes. *But 2 great guitars for one. *I like PRS's, but man, the cost issue is insanely in Ibanez' court, at least for me. *My $.02. *
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2001, 12:32 PM

i got my PRS CE22 in 1994 and i have loved it...
however, in 1995 PRS started to change the woods and the options of the guitars...i know that they began using the Dragon II pickups which i personally don't like (mine has Dragon I's) and the 5way switch could be replaced with the rotary.

i personally like the rotary switch. *i'm sure i'm the only one out there, but it is a great thing for me. it took me a while to get used to it, but after all of these years i can switch to the sound i want to with ease.

i have the wide-thin neck and think it is great.

i was at Elderly instruments last thursday and i played some of the newer PRS's and i just didn't like them as much as my lovely CE22...

i just feel that PRS has gotten a littel overblown, but the instruments are still amazing...like all guitars you just have to find the RIGHT one...

-c l i f t o n
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 03:23 PM

Hi All,
* * * * * * * * * * * * * *Sorry this is kinda late, but I stumbled onto this thread and HAD to say something.
* * * * * * * * * * * *Now please hear me out,as I know that in some states I could be Lynched or tarred and feathered for this, and some of you may want to as well. Or just laugh like most people do. As far as I know, I don't THINK I broke any laws, but You be the judge.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * Here goes: I bought an '88 PRS,( I think at the time there were no "customs, standards, etc, They just *called 'em all PRS's.), And I DID shave down the NECK!
* * * * * * * * * * * * *Before YOU go lighting your torches,
I shoud point out that it was ALREADY modded ,and pretty beat, when I got it.People said "jeez, it's a PRS,
you JUST DON'T DO THAT!" to which I replied, "if You spent $1,000 on a suit, You'd want it to fit perfectly, right? And if it didn't, You'd go to a tailor to MAKE it fit, right? Thats all I'm doing: TAILORING the guitar to fit me."
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Now the sad part. I didn't oil the neck enough while sanding, and a big chunk came out, exposing the truss rod. Ugghhh.Because of the way the wood came off, glueing it back on was not an option.
In desperation, I put some wood putty over the gap,and it's playable, but I don't know for how long. The neck is cracking, and its spreading. I put some clear coat poly on to seal it, but it doesn't really help enough.
* * * * * * * * * * *Now, Nobody wants to to touch it, including prs.Actually, I DID find one person who *said he could fix it, but wouldn't give me even a ball park estimate on price,and I didn't feel like shipping it out of
state,out of fear of not getting it back.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Incidently, this guy has the same first name as the lead guitarist(aHEM) from Van Halen, and shares a last name with a certain kind of candle used on holidays like, oh, I don't know, maybe um,.....INDEPENDANCE DAY.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * So, here I am, with my messed up PRS, which fits my hand very nicely now, thank you, and no one will touch it.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *What I was thinking, though, is some sort of "skunk stripe", like on a Fender, or DBK.
This would seem logical to me, but, alas, I just don't have that much technical skill, not to mention tools and equipment.
* * * * * * * * * * * If anyone has any suggestions, or would like to take a crack(:sarcasm at it, I would greatly appreciate it. (Sebastion, Rich, are You reading this?:innocent.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * "
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 03:33 PM
Vendor

PRS wouldn't take it and remove the old neck?! That's sad. It would take a pretty competent luthier to rout the back of the neck and install a skunk stripe.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-03-2001, 06:42 PM

At this point, maybe you should consider a brand new neck built to your specs? *They say a properly glued joint is stronger than solid wood. *Maybe you could get someone like Brian Calvert to build you a neck and then have a luthier you trust (such as Dan Erlewine) set it correctly and glue it.

Tags
brian calvert , clear coat , dan erlewine , floyd rose , guitar mag , ibanez guitars , neck pickup , neck shape , truss rod , van halen , vintage strat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode