Nearly Naked Telecaster Build - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2015, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

Nearly Naked Telecaster Build

The end of the year usually offers me a little down time. One of the projects that I was able to get to was rebuilding my telecaster. Last year I assembled a tele based on a GFS paulownia body. This year I disassembled the guitar and changed it up a bit.

I went with a 2-piece ash Mighty Mite body. The body weights in at about 5 lbs which is about 3 lbs heavier than the previous one. I used a single coat of tru oil to get a very natural finish. I kept the mint green pickguard which I think offers good contrast to the rosewood fretboard.

Another big change was to use a Seymour Duncan Hot Rails pickup in the bridge, along with the 60's reissue neck pickup, and a toneshaper 5-way wiring kit. I love the bridge pickup. It allows me to play 80's metal and then swap to the neck pickup for great clean sounds. I guess its close to an H-S setup in the super strats. The in between sounds offer a pretty good tele twang.

The neck is a TRO MIJ All Parts telecaster neck. Tuners are chrome staggered locking sperzels.

The bridge is a standard fender ashtray with wilkinson adjustable saddles (to allow for intonation)

Pics

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 11:23 AM

Re: Nearly Naked Telecaster Build

Looks good. One of the members in my Tele army has a pair of Hot Rails' with a 5 way mega switch that splits the rails. I'm putting a SuperDistorion T in another tele with the standard tele neck pickup in another one.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 12:10 PM

yay teles!!!! If there isn't a "show me your tele" thread, there should be one.

OP, are you going to do something with the GFS body now??

Last edited by GUITARMAGEDDON; 01-05-2015 at 01:11 PM.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 12:39 PM

Maybe if you're good I will start one when my most recent Tele gets here and another one gets back from the shop. It's been there since the week before Halloween, I'm starting to get mad
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
yay teles!!!! If there isn't a "show me your tele" thread, there should be one.

OP, are you going to do something with the GFS body now??
went to the bay - currently at 5 tele's with a suhr tele on the way, I think I have reached my limit.

My end of year buy up included a carvin, a suhr tele, an RG550, an RG410, a squire tele, and an RS410. I didn't sell any this year so no more builds until I thin the herd a bit.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 02:03 PM

8 teles here

4 mij 62 custom ri
1 52 ri with a Gibson 57 Classic in the neck and piezo bridge
1 72 deluxe fsr with P90s
1 squire John 5 with Di-Activators
1 Cabronita

The FSR was my end of the year guitar and hopefully the last one I buy for a while. I went a little crazy this year.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 03:08 PM

I've got 3 at the moment.. 2 of which i built.
Padauk HH tele with reverse strat neck
Double cut gold glitter with oversized strat head
a cheap GFS tele that I beat the hell out of.

I've got a Ron Kirn template so no slab of wood that is near my house is safe.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 03:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid View Post
8 teles here

4 mij 62 custom ri
1 52 ri with a Gibson 57 Classic in the neck and piezo bridge
1 72 deluxe fsr with P90s
1 squire John 5 with Di-Activators
1 Cabronita

The FSR was my end of the year guitar and hopefully the last one I buy for a while. I went a little crazy this year.
Nice

Mine are:

G&L ASAT butterscotch blonde with alnico's
MIM Fender Baja body (with twisted tele pickups and 4-way switch) and a warmoth neck
Fujigen tele
Squire Classic Vibe
Partscaster from this thread
Suhr tele custom build - ordered
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
I've got 3 at the moment.. 2 of which i built.
Padauk HH tele with reverse strat neck
Double cut gold glitter with oversized strat head
a cheap GFS tele that I beat the hell out of.

I've got a Ron Kirn template so no slab of wood that is near my house is safe.
I would love to do my own body. The cutting seams easy. Routing the neck pocket is my fear. It's not the shape, its the angle that I worry would be off and make setup rough.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 03:53 PM

I wish I was driven enough to do my own work. I'd love to put bigger frets on my 62 re-issues. My black one is probably my favorite guitar, I just wish the frets were bigger
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-05-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomibanez View Post
I would love to do my own body. The cutting seams easy. Routing the neck pocket is my fear. It's not the shape, its the angle that I worry would be off and make setup rough.
neck pockets are still a bit nerve racking for me.. you just have to measure 50 times and router once. I practice on a piece of scrap first and see if the neck fits.. if not, I make a new neck pocket template.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 12:28 PM

That looks great!

To the OP - you said you used one coat of Tru-Oil. Is that enough to protect the wood?

Reason I ask - I want to do something similar, but with a Strat. I already have the neck and I have a body in my Amazon cart right now. I don't want to paint it - I just want to see the natural color BUT I want to make sure the body is protected. So Tru-Oil is the way to go? And is there a benefit to using more coats?

I'll have to start searching YouTube for instructional videos on how to do this but wasn't sure what kind of finish to search for.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor 777 View Post
That looks great!

To the OP - you said you used one coat of Tru-Oil. Is that enough to protect the wood?

Reason I ask - I want to do something similar, but with a Strat. I already have the neck and I have a body in my Amazon cart right now. I don't want to paint it - I just want to see the natural color BUT I want to make sure the body is protected. So Tru-Oil is the way to go? And is there a benefit to using more coats?

I'll have to start searching YouTube for instructional videos on how to do this but wasn't sure what kind of finish to search for.
from my experience,,If you have a nice grain, the more coats you put on it, the more of a 3-D effect you will get. Its nothing amazing, but you can tell when you look at the body close from different angles. 1 or 2 coats should seal it up nice though if thats what you are after.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That looks great!

I'm not 100% sure. I figure at $90 for the body, I would risk it. At worst the wood could get grungy and then I would need to sand it down and reapply some finish to it.

I finished a warmoth neck with 6 coats of tru-oil, gave it time to dry, and then used car wax to get it to shine. It feels like a sprayed on finish.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
That looks great!

I agree with GUITARMAGEDDON, the more coats you put on the better the build up and shine.

I've put 12 very thin coats on my Telebanez build (http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f21/my...ez-131425.html) and it took a while to completely cure, but I think I could have gotten away with 6-8 coats as well.

tomibanez, the build looks great by the way!

Tags
telecas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode