Neck alignment. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Neck alignment.

I bought an RG920 from Sweetwater back a while ago, and if you have been there you may know that they have pictures up of the guitar you are to potentially purchase. When I was looking at the photo's head on of mine, I noticed that the sting alignment was near perfect down the finger board (unlike many others I have seen.) Though when I received the guitar I noticed that the strings were drifting to the base side (go figure, there is more tension on this side.)

Nonetheless, this is pretty much my first bolt on neck guitar other than an old cheap Squire (I play a lot of set necks) and I am guessing shipment got rough and knocked it out of alignment?

Last night I loosened the strings, the trem springs, and also put some playing cards under the trem to further loosen the strings. I then slightly loosened the four neck joint bolts and adjusted the neck to where the string alignment was about perfect. I tightened the screws quite a bit after finishing.

Though now every time I pick the guitar up I am "all careful" with it afraid its going to go out again. Is this a common occurrence with bolt on necks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 05:51 AM

Re: Neck alignment.

It should stay put now. Don't worry about it. I don't think i've ever had a neck shift after an initial setup. The rough ride during shipping and the changes in temperature and humidity probably caused it to shift.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 07:43 AM

Re: Neck alignment.

It depends on how loose the neck and body fit together.
I've had a few that just wont stay where I want them.
You can put a thin side shim in to keep it from drifting back.
You will hear a crack noise when it shifts back.
They tend to go back to a position you may or may not like without the shim in some cases.
Keep in mind that you push the high E up and pull the low E down.
As long as the high E is not falling off the fretboard, it is not a big deal.
Sebastian

Tags
alignment , joint , neck alignment , string alignment

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode