Neck Compatiblity Question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 03:25 PM Thread Starter

Neck Compatiblity Question

Hey Folks,

I have a 24 fret, square heel, maple fingerboard EX-series neck that I believe came off a 1993 EX-270.

Question: Which model bodies is this neck compatible with?

I have an old 87 or 88 RG body and it I dont think it fits really, but then again, I dont really know what Im doing.

Does this odd neck fit anything other than the original guitar body it came on?

Not sure of all this square heel compatibility stuff, but it seems to me like this 24 fret EX-series neck is slightly thinner than even the original Wizard necks.

So simply put, my question is can I use this neck on any of the other 24 fret square neck body models or just a 1993 EX270?

Thanks, I'm new here, forgive the cluelessness!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 10:17 PM

Re: Neck Compatiblity Question

I think a 93 EX neck is 19.5mm at the 1st fret, 21.5 at the 12th, and 430mm radius. So not thinner than the original Wizard.

http://ibanez.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_neck_types
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 10:46 PM

Reviews: 120

Well you've got the neck and body. Have you tried putting them together? That would be the quick and easy way to get the answer yourself.
LonePhantom is online  
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-29-2012, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

yeah it's not really a perfect match, it seems. My question there is about how imperfect it it is and how much of an issue that would be. I havent actually bolted it on yet but just slipping it in, it fits differently than the original neck to the RG, there seems to be some gapping. Hmmm, not sure if its significant enough to be a concern, as I said, I'm new at this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 01:28 AM

Reviews: 120

Well if there's a little gap it doesn't mean too much. There's always a chance for slight variation. If the screw holes don't match up you can always fill the neck holes with dowel and re-drill to match the body. Just confirm by measuring if the distance between the nut and bridge on the body is 25.5" to ensure there are no intonation issues.
LonePhantom is online  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-30-2012, 12:17 PM

Reviews: 2

Apparently I answered this in the wrong thread..........one is usually sufficient Multo.

Welcome to Jemsite!!

Tags
ex series , neck , square heel neck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode