Neck Finishing - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 04:28 AM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Smile Neck Finishing

I have a new neck to fit to one of my guitars which still needs to be sanded down but can anyone suggest a way to finish the neck.Will spray cans of acrylic laquer be any good or can you suggest a better way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 08:35 AM

Re: Neck Finishing

Tung Oil - or Danish Oil !!!

lacquer sucks (IMO)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Tung Oil - or Danish Oil !!!

lacquer sucks (IMO)
+1 Two coats of Tung Oil and a good rub down with fine wire wool .

Marty...
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 11:41 AM

I just recently finished a project neck and body with tung oil and it's left them silky smooth and looking great. Like Martallica said, two coats and a rub down with some 000 grade steel wool will leave your neck feeling slick.

Rock on!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 12:00 PM
Banned

actually without aging or finish damage or wering out....along like all others like poly, laquer, etc...tung oil wont really "tarnish" or "deteriorate like others.

some will scratch, buff, look thin, etc....but tung oil when applied correctly resists, sweat, acidic solutions, alchohol and lots of other things..i use tung oil on everything, bodies and necks, becasue i see natural wood, no scratches on the body...i can use alchohol and get the surface clean like new without worring about having to buff the finish back out etc....and the tone from tung oil is more NATURAL, and does not have as much of the overtones that you get with tons of other finished....yes some are desirable but not for me

and for the neck, it will feel great

i have a good recipie that i got from carvin
minwax tung oil....they use it and it only exlusively on the bodies and necks they use it on. and it works great, but ive got a rew way i use like for my warmoth i did it on, torres told me this "harder" finishing teq

use regular minwax wich is a blend of 58tung and 40thinner and 2 percetn proprietary and i use this for three coats and on the third i let it dry half way and then use a cloth to rub it in, then i use 0000 steel whool
then i give it one more coat altho this time i mix the minwax with more thinner
and i do this two times and then on the second time i rub in the tung oil half way through dry time...and for the final coat i mix more thinner with the minwax and put it on and leave drythen a do a final steel whool 0000 buff and tis good to go

the more thinner you use as a progressive durring he finish process the harder the surface will dry, and the tung oil finish becomes very hard and does not obsorb as much into the wood, and actually acts as a solid topcoat...you see no wood fiber or lifted spots

sometimes you get that with tung oil

ive done it tons of way, but found the extra thinner helps kep the surface looking super flat and smooth...and the tung oil resists like almost everything, including moisture VERY VERY well...i live it, and ive taken every neck ive owned in the last 10 year and stripped it just to tung oiled it
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Banned

here is exactly the method i used on my warmoth, its been a while, so i didnt know the details, but its here from my thread a few back

minwax tung oil watered down 1 parts spirit to 6 parts minwax...altho minwax is already a 50/50 tung oil/spirit mix...
first coat thick 20 dry time
second coat thick 20 min dry time
third coat thick dry time45 min
foirth coat thin and wipe off at 5 minutes, dry time for 20
then wet sand both body and neck with denatured alcohol and 0000 steel whool
body was finished
then one more coat of tung oil on neck, thin, wipes off after 5 min, dry for 40
one more coat of tung oil on neck, thin wiped off at 5 let dry for 3 days
0000 steel whool till silky smooth

i know it says 50/50 but there s littlesomething else there, i didnt didnt state it in the origional thread
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 01:01 PM

So basically it sounds like you locked a lot of water inside your neck.

wax/oil and water don't mix and wood absorbs water. So the water went in and the wax stayed on the surface trapping the water inside.

Last edited by kotornut; 04-06-2008 at 10:18 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 01:13 PM

ANT5150.
I dont often disagree with people on this board but please ignore the advice above.
buy yourself PURE tung oil and the only tips I can give you to get a really superb silky finish are:
1. I usually stand the tin of tung oil in a bowl of hot water before applying - it goes on easier and in a more uniform coating.
2. 0000 wool is OK but does occasionally leave wool fibres in the neck, ive found that the painters flexible sponge sanders that Oakey sell in B&Q are really great for taking off the 'nib' between coats. Even the rougher grades of flexi sponge sander like 180 can be used, I cant recommend them highly enough.
3. I usually leave at least a day between coats.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2008, 02:06 PM

I use Tru Oil...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2008, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1

Used TUNG oil today on my unfinished neck and the results were brilliant. Thanks for your help. I will post pictures when finished!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Dee

http://www.beafifer.com/boredoctor.htm

Fret Doctor. I spoke with Ed who makes this stuff and he recommended it for neck finishing, much to my surprise.

Tags
neck finish , steel wool , tung oil

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode