Neck/fret board binding? what for? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Neck/fret board binding? what for?

Just wondering, what is the point of having binding on the Fret/neck of the guitar.
Is that the white thing u get on the side of the neck where the fret board meets? hehe
Is it just for the look?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 07:01 AM

Probably, I don't really know what the use id either, other than to make things look better... If it's there for a purpose, I could use some enlightenment as well...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 08:39 AM

my new RG421 has it, and it doesn't make it feel any different than my old 470 WizardII that didn't have the binding, so my answer would be that it is just for looks.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 08:45 AM

Just looks. *But lotsa stuff is just there for looks..
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

Well you know what? My Ibanez EX360 got binding on it too HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

As far as I know, guitars with binding on the neck cos more to refret!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-07-2002, 12:36 PM

Probably not as much use as a mummy's bindings...
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 01:31 AM

A properly fretted bound neck feels smoother, because the fret ends are cut back by a small margin.. You also don't feel the fret-tang cuts on the edge of the board..

It seems more pronounced an effect on rosewood boards, because the binding is much smoother than rosewood, while ebony and maple are smooth to begin with..

Les Pauls, and Rhoads' old Jacksons, have the binding come up over the fret ends, so you don't feel the fret at all..

I prefer a bound fretboard, like the one on my RG750, it just plays smoother to me.. Down the road, if I ever have a re-fret done to my 7620 and 570, I'll have binding put on them as well..

It does have a visual appeal, as well.. :biggrin:
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 07:04 AM

IMO, it only feels smoother compared to non-bound boards with slightly spotty fretwork (meaning most of them). *If the tangs & ends are filed smooth, there's no roughness to my hand. *In fact, my bound SC620 is rougher than my unbound Radius; I think the board has slightly shrunk on the 620, leaving little "uncomfy" ends.

This doesn't apply to binding that covers the fret ends; THAT is nice... *but then, when refretting it's either mondo expensive or you lose the nibs...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 07:10 AM Thread Starter

My Jackson Professional USA *custom shop 1985 San dimas have binding on it and it doesn't feel anywhere as smooth as my ibanezes without binding!!!! It's just for looks I think!!
It's the way the frets are, so the binding makes no differences.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2002, 06:31 PM

All dependant on how it's installed and what the fretboard wood is.

99.9% of fretboard binding is Ivoroid which is quite smooth, but if the join is below par you'll feel it (it's nice to work with though as it smells of mint when cut and sanded)
The differences bettwen the fretting are that the tang of the fret on a non bound board goes right up to the edge of the board, so if not filed down accurately you can occasionally feel it, where as with a bound board it is nipped and hammered into the wood so the binding covers it and offers a consistent smooth edge.

To be honest, even if there was a slight difference in the fret finishing you probably wouldn't feel it anyway.
I'd say it's mainly there for looks and if you've ever seen a board bound with Tahitian Abalone then it is 100% worth the hassle....gorgeous!

Steve
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2002, 08:13 AM

Binding isn't just for aesthetics. *Binding can prevent the gain or loss of moisture by the fingerboard. *Apparently ebony is the worst for this and the subsequent expansion and shrinkage (respectively) can cause sharp fret ends to protrude and feel rough and even lift. My local luthier of 40 years experience says he often gets Gibbo 335's (?) in with exactly this problem and he simply dresses the frets and binds them! *A cheaper but less efficient alternative is to apply several layers of polyurethane to the edge of the fingerboard thus sealing it off to moisture changes.Binding looks nicer though-it sort of 'defines' the edge of the guitar-where guitar ends and space begins!

My J Custom has an ebony fingerboard and a beautiful flame maple binding which looks lovely!

Anil

Tags
custom shop , ebony fingerboard , flame maple , flame maple binding , fret board , fretboard wood , les paul , les pauls , local luthier , maple binding , rosewood board , rosewood boards

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode