Neck- Headstock Joint on USRG - What is it? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Neck- Headstock Joint on USRG - What is it?

Hey I was watching the pics of Jimi D's USRG10 and noticed the strange neck-headstock joint. It seems like a bronze *conection or something. Is that a tension free neck? By the way, its the coolest Ibanez hardtail I've seen (besides the PGM90th)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 07:39 PM

Neck- Headstock Joint on USRG

It is a tension free neck joint created by Dave Bunker who now owns Bunker guitars and used to run PBC Guitar Technologies. PBC built the USRG series.

You can find out more here:

http://www.bunker-guitars.com/tf_neck.html

And here:

http://www.bunker-guitars.com/Biography.html

Rick
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-15-2001, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the quick reply! this system seems like a great idea. Is it actually a noticeable improvement in neck stability? or is it one of those cool inventions that actually are semiuseless and do not justify paying for patents?
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-16-2001, 09:07 PM

I can't comment on the performance. I have picked up a few USRGs in stores, but I have never owned one. Hopefully someone with firsthand knowledge will chime in.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 12:51 PM

I live in an area where we experience true extremes in climate - HOT, WET summers (we got way over 110 F a couple times this summer) and COLD, DRY winters (-40 to -50 F anyone?) and in this kind of environment you get used to tweaking your truss rod to keep things stable - in fact, I have a number of friends who don't use their truss rod covers because they hate being bothered with removing and replacing them every time they make an adjustment. I've adjusted the PBC neck on my USRG twice since getting it, merely to set it up to my preference. It hasn't moved since. That's stable!! :thumbsup:
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-17-2001, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

that's great! i have to say it: envy corrodes me!!
that's the thing i don't get about marketing: people will be happy to pay extra for a useless animal named hole in their guitar, but i guess if their charged more for useful *technologies like these, the response wouldn't be so good.
there are important advances in materials technologies that would be great, i'm not saying lets make a carbon guitar, but for instance, there are polymers that can make the edges of tremolos and saddles virtually last forever
(excuse me for the jem comment, i love them! and if i saw a samick guitar made of plastic with one string with vai's name, i would get it, i'm just saying you can actually make improvements without making a guitar that seems out of the jetsons)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 11:30 AM

Reviews: 2

I bought a USRG 30 in march and I've had it in outside in 40 degree weather in the back of my truck for an hour ride and I didn't have to adjust it. VERY SOLID. Now it's almost september and I haven't had to touch the neck with any kind of tool other than to change strings! I love it. Wish I had another one with different pickups. Would be cool for covering all the bases. Two USRG's and a hell of a loud amp. What more could you ask for?

Tags
guitar tech , neck joint , truss rod , truss rod cover , truss rod covers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode