Neck Help Please - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Question Neck Help Please

I have an RG770 (cira 1992) and a Xiphos XPT700 (2008 model year) and they both have similar sized necks that I LOVE!! I can easily reach the 24th fret and play solos / scales up to the 22nd fret with ease. I *THINK* both my necks are Wizard II's?? The Xiphos is of course neck-thru while the RG is bolt on. Anywho...

I'm considering a new Ibanez and the Iceman WAS what I was originally attracted to. I tried an Ibanez ICT700 and the neck past the 12th fret felt like a fat baseball bat to me! It was a bit of a struggle just to reach the 22nd fret on the high "e" string!! So my question is, is the STM1 or STM2 Iceman necks (called the STM thru-neck) the same as the (IMO) terrible neck on the ICT700?? If so, what other Ibanez guitars have the thinner necks I like? I'm guessing something with a "Wizard Prestige" or a "Super Wizard Prestige"? There's so many that I am kinda confused ha. The thing is I'm a fan of "odd" shaped guitars and it seems like these later 2 neck styles are not on anything but "standard" shaped Ibanez guitars?

I'm not against a non-Ibanez brand, but all my guitars are Ibanez....I've looked at some dean's, ESP, and Jackson's, but their websites do not give the detailed neck information (Scale/Length, Width at Nut, Width Last Fret, Thickness 1st Fret, Thickness 12th Fret, Radius) like the Ibanez site gives. Does anyone have the info for other brands in some kind of chart? I'd be willing to consider another guitar even though Ibanez is what I played for over 20 years!

Hopefully someone can comment and help me out here!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 03:15 PM

Reviews: 2
Re: Neck Help Please

This is a good question eagle..... Your RG770 is actually an original Wizard. I'll give more info in my next post, but I wanted you to know That your thread has been seen......lol
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 03:19 PM

Reviews: 11

If you're a big fan of the wizard 1 necks, Id loosely recommend the jackson soloists. They seemed to have a similar feel, but thats just comparing my 540s neck to one I played in guitar center for 5 minutes I enjoyed it, seemed to have a similar feel on initial playing.

Of course, I cant speak for the rest of the guitar, my knowledge on jackson/kramer/charvelles are not up to snuff
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 03:26 PM

OK here are some specs:

Original Wizard:
One piece maple, 25.5" scale, 17mm thick @ the 1st fret, 20mm at the 12th fret (although everyone of mine has been closer to 19mm), and the most important part..... 430mm radius on the fretboard

WizardII:
This is what your XPT has. 3-piece maple (most but not all... your XPT may be 5-piece, I don't remember), 19mm @ first fret, 21mm @ 12th, and 400mm radius- the fretboard is a little rounder.

More to come....
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 03:38 PM

The ICT700 also has the 5-piece WizardII up until 2010. I can't find info on the 2011's, but this is the same neck that's on your XPT if the one you tried is pre-2011.

The STM (1 and 2) also has the WizardII up to 2010. This year they went to the Wizard3 (I think the XPT and ICT are also W3's for 2011, but I don't know for sure). Previous to 2010 the W2's were 56mm wide at the 24th fret (same as your 770) but in 2010 the grew by 2mm up to 58mm wide.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 03:45 PM

that's the cliff-notes version of SOME of the Wizard necks.............lol. There are MANY more out there

If you want something that is VERY close to your 770/Wiz neck, you'll want to try the Wizard HP prestige neck.... it's specs are as follows:

25.5" scale, 18mm @first, 20mm @12th, 430mm radius, and prestige fret treatment as an added bonus!!

also note that the HP is 58mm wide, not the 56mm on your 770 neck.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!!

You said "WizardII: This is what your XPT has" AND the ICT700 also has the 5-piece WizardII? I played the ICT700 today at Long and McQuade and the thickness of the neck made upper reach for me near impossible. When I came home and picked up my Xiphos, I was amazed at the difference and how much easier it is for me to play. So the thickness of the ICT700 neck makes me think they are not both Wizard II's...or if they are, the ones that are 3-piece vs 5-piece are different? IF the STM1 neck is identical to my Xiphos, then I'd be comfortable with buying one without needing to play it first (they don't have them in stock locally for me to try).
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 04:04 PM

It kind of depends on the year of the ICT and the STM. If they are 2011's they probably have the Wizard3 which is another animal altogether.......

Gotta love Ibanez for keeping it simple........lol
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 04:09 PM

I also think that the body shape is more your problem than the neck itself...... The IC's in general are a little less comfortable for me, and may be your problem as well.......... I think the body meets the neck at about the 23rd fret in the XPT and about the 21st-22nd on the IC's. The body on the Xiphos give's a little more access to the 24th.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

I think you are right about the body...the body on the ICT does seem to start too early. When I played it and looked at the enormous chunk of wood behind the upper frets I was thinking it would need to be hacked off!! ha! I assume the STM1 has the same problem....thus no new Ibanez for me for now.....sigh....
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 04:49 PM

Have you looked at the Destroyers....... they have the same joint as the Xiphos, and it's a DAMN good looking guitar. It has the WizardIII (22-fret).

BTW... the W3 is a great compromise between the Wizard and WizardII
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 04:54 PM
Banned

Reviews: 98

My old ESP Mirage Deluxe had a neck very similar to an original Ibanez Wizard neck...but good luck finding one for under $700.
You're better off with an old Ibanez with a Wizard

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

The Ibanez destroyer doesn't have a trem....no trem means I ain't interested! I'm addicted to it! hah!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 05:07 PM

Try the old Charvel Model lineup, like mid to late 80's Model 3 3/a 4 . Neck is close to the old Wizard. Guitars are cheap.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-17-2011, 05:16 PM

Hey Dragster... do you know about the Model 6?? which neck profile it had?? I can't find anything on it at all...........

Tags
neck size , wizard prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode