Neck Lip overhang removal? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 99
Question Neck Lip overhang removal?

Hey! on my project guitar. the neck I have is amazing but at the bottom. the fret board over hangs about 1/3 of an inch past the heel of the neck and I need need it removed because It overhangs in the humbucker cavity and I cant get my pups in w/o taking the neck off. I installed the first set of pups with the neck of but now that I'm replacing them, I need to get them out and get the new ones in and I really dont want to remove the neck again.

Anyway. suggestions on removing the lip? should I file it off? some how cut it off? all help is appreciated!


AustinPlaysGuitar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 11:53 AM
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Oxford, UK
Posts: 2,779
Re: Neck Lip overhang removal?

Assuming that the dimensions of that guitar are accurate to Ibanez, it looks like you've set the neck into the body slightly too far. Hard to be sure from the angle that this pic was taken mind you.
Algiman is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 99
Re: Neck Lip overhang removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Algiman View Post
Assuming that the dimensions of that guitar are accurate to Ibanez, it looks like you've set the neck into the body slightly too far. Hard to be sure from the angle that this pic was taken mind you.
the dimensions are Ibanez but the neck is set correctly its just then length of the fret board. I believe early 90's Ibanez bodies had the fretborad flesh with the heel or I was something like that and I didnt know that until after getting it :\ and sorry about the picture. its then only one I have that shoes the fretboard up close
AustinPlaysGuitar is offline  
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 12:25 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Italia
Posts: 4,725
Re: Neck Lip overhang removal?

dislexic today?

anyway, i think the only thing you can do is sewing it out. if you don't have a sewing machine at home, take it to a luthier, he wouldn't charge you more than a coffee.

and... it's me, or the last 3 frets are all the same distance?
nuno is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 99
Re: Neck Lip overhang removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno View Post
dislexic today?

anyway, i think the only thing you can do is sewing it out. if you don't have a sewing machine at home, take it to a luthier, he wouldn't charge you more than a coffee.

and... it's me, or the last 3 frets are all the same distance?
sew it? what do you mean? and in the pic the distance looks really close but thay are bigger lol
AustinPlaysGuitar is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 12:40 PM
Moderator
 
jim777's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Blackwood, NJ
Posts: 9,600
Re: Neck Lip overhang removal?

You should be able to dremel it off, but be careful or it will come out looking terrible. A file would take longer but would give you a straighter line. Maybe a bit of both Don't take it off all the way to the fret though, just take off what you need to and no more.
jim777 is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 12:41 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 99
Re: Neck Lip overhang removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
You should be able to dremel it off, but be careful or it will come out looking terrible. A file would take longer but would give you a straighter line. Maybe a bit of both Don't take it off all the way to the fret though, just take off what you need to and no more.
thats what I figure. thanks! I'm still in the dark about sewing it?
AustinPlaysGuitar is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 12:44 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Posts: 653
Re: Neck Lip overhang removal?

I think he means sawing

In any event, the neck seems to be a little skewd in relation to the body cavities...make sure the frets are a perfect 90 degrees to the pickups. Also, measure from the nut to point where the strings touch on the bridge. It should be very close to 25.5" or 648mm.

I think the best would to bring it to a Luthier so he can check those things for you.
Viper-sfm is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 99
Re: Neck Lip overhang removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-sfm View Post
I think he means sawing

In any event, the neck seems to be a little skewd in relation to the body cavities...make sure the frets are a perfect 90 degrees to the pickups. Also, measure from the nut to point where the strings touch on the bridge. It should be very close to 25.5" or 648mm.

I think the best would to bring it to a Luthier so he can check those things for you.
yeah its a little off because its not screwed in yet, its just resting on the body in that pic so it leaned a bit :]
AustinPlaysGuitar is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 12:56 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Rio de Janeiro, Brasil
Posts: 653
Re: Neck Lip overhang removal?

Ah, ok. In that case, put it in the right spot and measure the thing I said before. If it checks out, then you are set....if not, then it'll need readjustments.
Viper-sfm is offline  
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 10:44 PM
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Midwest where it's hot
Posts: 216
Re: Neck Lip overhang removal?

Hey look, he has the new '09 Jem prototype, hard tail. LOL
indeedido is offline  
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-20-2008, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 99
Re: Neck Lip overhang removal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indeedido View Post
Hey look, he has the new '09 Jem prototype, hard tail. LOL
AustinPlaysGuitar is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Old style RG neck with overhang question. john1880 Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 3 08-04-2006 12:14 AM
Inlay removal - 7621 neck Bluestreak Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 9 05-04-2005 08:58 PM
USRG30 neck removal gkelm Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 4 09-26-2003 09:29 PM
Pot wax removal Zeek Pickups & wiring 2 11-03-2002 09:23 AM
inlay removal for neck blackout shawn Tech: Setup, Repairs and Mods 2 06-05-2002 01:13 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome