is this neck ok for my RG - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 08:26 AM Thread Starter

is this neck ok for my RG

hi everybody

second post here .... first question ... :-)

here it is ... i have an ibanez old type body (square heel joint) and i found out on eby the neck linked above (**** link)

http://cgi.****.it/GUITAR-NECK-PROJE...3%3A1|294%3A50

is that suitable for my rg body?
i know that it's a 22 frets .. but this would not be aproblem .... the fact is: the joint is the same? the seller said me yes ... but i'm not so sure ... what do u think 'bout?

thanks a lot to everyone who will help me .... and sorry 4 my horrible english ... :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 08:35 AM

Re: is this neck ok for my RG

you'd have to make sure the screws line up exactly, not just the shape.

why not save yourself the trouble and get a real RG square heel neck and save yourself any doubt?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 08:48 AM

I would not recommend it, different number of frets means it will not fit against the neck pickup (where fret 24 should be) and shine is a cheap make anyway!
Jim
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2009, 08:55 AM

Scale length?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 11:09 PM

you could always drill new holes. but looks like a **** neck to me.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 03:55 AM

Reviews: 34

It is possible that it would fit, although I am not sure.

It would be a downgrade from any Ibanez neck, particularly the square heel types.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 11:01 AM

Putting a 22 fret neck on a body meant for 24 frets will result in the guitar being unable to intonate properly, unless by some miracle the 22nd fret just happens to end up where the 22nd fret would be on an original neck, but this is so unlikely as to not be worth considering.

You'll really want to get an actual Ibanez neck, it's the only way to be sure that everything will line up properly.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 01:43 PM

Actually, as long as it's the same scale (25.5") it probably will work. He mentions he has an older square heel joint body, and on those the 23rd and 24th frets were extended off the neck, so you can actually use a strat neck on those bodies if you wanted to and set it up nicely. There is just a small gap on the body where the fretboard extension would rest.

I do completely agree that it's a downgrade, but maybe that the best he can get right now.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpenguins View Post
Actually, as long as it's the same scale (25.5") it probably will work. He mentions he has an older square heel joint body, and on those the 23rd and 24th frets were extended off the neck, so you can actually use a strat neck on those bodies if you wanted to and set it up nicely. There is just a small gap on the body where the fretboard extension would rest.

I do completely agree that it's a downgrade, but maybe that the best he can get right now.
I agree that it will likely attach to the body, but the 22nd fret needs to end up as close as possible to where it would be on the orignal neck. If it's too far off then the neck is worthless and there's no way to know until you try it, at which point the money is already spent. But hey, it's not my money I guess.

Tags
neck for square heel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode