neck pocket question - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

neck pocket question

sorry if this has been asked before..but whats the difference between a neck pocket that is painted and one that is not( so that the neck and the neck pocket would have direct wood to wood contact) instead of paint to wood contact...i heard that if there is no paint within the neck pocket that the resonance can transfer better and would result a more resonant sound...is this true? or whats the difference...i have the neck off my 350 right now and was wondering if i should sand down the inside neck pocket if there will be an advantage i would like. thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 10:07 PM

Reviews: 18
Re: neck pocket question

The pocket on your guitar should be bare to begin with. Although the wood to wood contact can affect resonance to a degree (because there are other variables as well), it won't limit the ability of the guitar so emit a sound. If you're wondering what other factors those may be, we're talking about wood type and also the way the wood was cut. Just because a guitar is made out of a certain wood, it doesn't mean that it is all the same.

Jimmy
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Dee

Chritar, it's just a very minor thing. A cleaner contact in this area is better, but if you can hear a difference (supposing the paint isn't very thick) then you have golden ears. Also, if the contact is better and the neck fits snug the way it is, you'd probably be best to leave it alone because a sloppy neck pocket is less desirable than a painted snug one, IMO. Obviously you don't want it too tight, though. Do you think it's somehow limiting the contact right now?

Here's the one on my RG550. I consider it clean.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 07:17 AM

At least one Ibanez guitar I know of, the JS700, has so much thick paint and lacquer on the neck heel (that is, on the neck itself, not the neck pocket on the body) that sanding it off leaves you with 1mm or more of void on either side of the neck pocket. Therefore, if you want to sand off the neck for a smooth, natural feel you had best leave the paint in the heel or you'll have lots of slop. That would defeat any advantages derived from more wood-to-wood contact between the neck and body. Moral: if you're going for more woody contact, the paint to be removed had better be very thin.
Bert
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 07:50 AM
Dee

Agreed. That was what I was saying too, stratoskier. Leave the sides alone, sand only the bolted area.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee View Post
wow, look how the neck pocket's changed in time. in the golden era there was kind of a "bump" between the neck and the pickup, with the fretboard "tongue" laying over it:

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 03:51 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the replies.. i dont think i will sand it because its a decent layer of paint, and i dont want it to be loose. its fine how it is now but i was just lookin for that slight suttle nuance of an improvement, but i dont think itd do much anyways.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2007, 07:55 PM
Dee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuno View Post
wow, look how the neck pocket's changed in time. in the golden era there was kind of a "bump" between the neck and the pickup, with the fretboard "tongue" laying over it:
Yeah, there's a huge contact area on these 20th's. I was surprised when I first took the neck off. I think it makes it feel slightly more rigid, actually.

A pic of the end of the neck:

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 04:24 AM

thanks Dee! great pics! i like these kind of "un-invasive" improvements on the RG20th!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2007, 06:56 AM

Reviews: 18

I'm surprised you had the guts to take the neck off that rg20th Dee. I like it nonetheless, great way to state your point

Jimmy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode