Neck question: RG 1570 vs ESP M-II - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

Neck question: RG 1570 vs ESP M-II

Does anyone know how close (in feel) are the necks of RG 1570 and ESP M-II (particularly a bolt-on version, as it's supposed to be flatter than the NTB)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 04:09 AM

Re: Neck question: RG 1570 vs ESP M-II

The M-II is a little flatter imo.

However, the cost of an M-II versus the cost of the 1570 means the 1570 is WAY better bang for the buck than the M-II. M-II isn't a bad guitar, really nice actually, but not worth the money when compared to cheaper Ibanezes.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 04:45 AM

it depends on what year is the M-II?
The 1570 will always be the same 430mm.
meanwhile current M-II is 305mm, and some old ones had 400mm ( If I'm not mistaken).
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
it depends on what year is the M-II?
The 1570 will always be the same 430mm.
meanwhile current M-II is 305mm, and some old ones had 400mm ( If I'm not mistaken).
I'm sorry, but I meant the back of the neck. As for years, 2003-2010.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 05:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
The M-II is a little flatter imo.
Do you mean the fretboard is flatter of the back of the neck? Because I need to know about the back of the neck.

Quote:
However, the cost of an M-II versus the cost of the 1570 means the 1570 is WAY better bang for the buck than the M-II. M-II isn't a bad guitar, really nice actually, but not worth the money when compared to cheaper Ibanezes.
Why is Ibanez cheaper than ESP? Is it because of the woods used?
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andriusd View Post

Why is Ibanez cheaper than ESP? Is it because of the woods used?
He's talking about the price of ESP in JAPAN compared to Ibanez.
ESP that sold in Japan is made by their custom shop division. so anything 'custom' must be so expensive compared to regular production.

meanwhile the ESP that export outside Japan, is regular production.

in some case, I found ESP is better buying than Ibanez, I'm not say 'cheaper'.
and I'm talking about the export version of ESP that still carries the ESP logo on the headstock, not LTD.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 05:27 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I meant the back of the neck. As for years, 2003-2010.
I honestly can't remember the shape of the neck on those bolt on M-II.
My current neck thru M-II ( M-II CTM), shaped is more like soft V to me.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 05:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I honestly can't remember the shape of the neck on those bolt on M-II.
My current neck thru M-II ( M-II CTM), shaped is more like soft V to me.
Is this that expensive (over 300,000 Yen) custom one? Or a Standard series?
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
That's the custom shop one for sure, the E-II lineup is what the Standard once was. I checked the bolt-on M-II price from 2012 (around $1600) and the price of an RG1570 ($1050 or so) and to me the difference is hard to explain. (Both US prices, but similar in Europe at the time)

The Ibanez is a better deal IMO, even though I'm a huge fan of ESPs*, when it comes to comparable products. Not sure about the value of guitars made after 2008 though.

*I have a '11 Original Series M-II CTM coming in soon - it'll be interesting to see how it compares to my '06 J Custom and '08 Jackson SL2H in terms of building quality and such. I don't think anything can top the JC though
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akosunen View Post
That's the custom shop one for sure, the E-II lineup is what the Standard once was. I checked the bolt-on M-II price from 2012 (around $1600) and the price of an RG1570 ($1050 or so) and to me the difference is hard to explain. (Both US prices, but similar in Europe at the time)

The Ibanez is a better deal IMO, even though I'm a huge fan of ESPs*, when it comes to comparable products. Not sure about the value of guitars made after 2008 though.

*I have a '11 Original Series M-II CTM coming in soon - it'll be interesting to see how it compares to my '06 J Custom and '08 Jackson SL2H in terms of building quality and such. I don't think anything can top the JC though
I have a story (it may not be applicable to you but something to think about):

I met the guitarist from a band that has been playing live houses for around 15 years over here last night and asked him why he was using an ESP. He said he was originally a Jackson player, but for a couple years over here, there was no way to order a Jackson custom shop model so he decided to go with an ESP custom model (plus the waiting time was about 1/3 of the wait for a Jackson as well). He said that it had a few factory errors and while it is a decent guitar, he would much rather have a Jackson. One of the biggest things he disliked about his ESP was that acoustically, the notes didn't ring out well. It's a fairly bland guitar in his opinion.

That's NOT to say all ESP guitars are bad. I really like the shape and design of the M-II (don't like the choice of pups). If I had the money for one, I'd definitely jump on one. However, they are INSANELY expensive here AND even the E-II line is priced in the J custom range. At that price, i'd save a for a couple more months and just buy another Carvin JB200, or find some really sweet Japan market Ibanezes (my 685 only costing me 550 USD, and my 580 only costing 200 USD with trade-ins).
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 06:50 AM

Quote:
He's talking about the price of ESP in JAPAN compared to Ibanez.
ESP that sold in Japan is made by their custom shop division. so anything 'custom' must be so expensive compared to regular production.

meanwhile the ESP that export outside Japan, is regular production.

in some case, I found ESP is better buying than Ibanez, I'm not say 'cheaper'.
and I'm talking about the export version of ESP that still carries the ESP logo on the headstock, not LTD.
The M-II DX is only like 20,000-30,000 yen cheaper btw.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
yes, mine is standard series.
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
The M-II DX is only like 20,000-30,000 yen cheaper btw.
Same with the SS ( Standard Series) M-II bolt on is maybe around 200-300 bucks cheaper compared to the neck thru.

Again, I'm comparing it with dollar to dollar , for example :
The SS M-II bolt on with duncans is around 1100-1300 here.
with the same 1100/1300, you can get ibanez RG 655.
the M-II is equipped with original floyd rose, CTS pots, CRL switch, switchcraft jack.
Well Ibanez..... ? you know.

not saying the parts in Ibanez is inferior than ESP, but I'd guess you got the point.
and the built quality of the SS ESP is not bad after all.

yes, you may get lemon among those too, but don't we also sometimes got lemon with ibanez?
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
yes, mine is standard series.
Never would have thought that a Standard series M-II could have a (soft) V-shaped neck. I am looking for a flatter feeling (on the back) neck. I assume that soft V shape on your M-II has something to do with the CTM thing?
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-24-2014, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Same with the SS ( Standard Series) M-II bolt on is maybe around 200-300 bucks cheaper compared to the neck thru.

Again, I'm comparing it with dollar to dollar , for example :
The SS M-II bolt on with duncans is around 1100-1300 here.
with the same 1100/1300, you can get ibanez RG 655.
the M-II is equipped with original floyd rose, CTS pots, CRL switch, switchcraft jack.
Well Ibanez..... ? you know.

not saying the parts in Ibanez is inferior than ESP, but I'd guess you got the point.
and the built quality of the SS ESP is not bad after all.

yes, you may get lemon among those too, but don't we also sometimes got lemon with ibanez?
I can't figure out for the life of me why ESP is so expensive here. Had I been in the US, I probably would have bought an M-II because of my Timo Tolkki fanboyism Ibanez is so competitively priced here yet they put no effort in the Japanese market, and ESP are ripoffs yet everyone uses em. Go figure

Also, I've never seen a standard series ESP here. I guess all of them come out of Korea (grassroots, edwards, LTD) or the Custom shop only.

I haven't actually had a lemon with my Ibbies (YET, even my Indo 350 isn't horrible).

Tags
1570 esp

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode