Neck replacement! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Reviews: 1
Neck replacement!

Hello!

I've just put a JPM neck on my RG2020X, and it's now the greatest guitar in the world (lol) but then I started to wonder,
Is it possible to order the neck new from Ibanez now since Mr. Petrucci no longer endorse Ibanez?

It's not that I need another one, but I was just thinking :-)

thanks Tony
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 08:04 PM

Ibanez will not sell anyone any kind of neck unless it is accompanied with the broken neck from the guitar and even then they may not replace it with the exact same neck in return
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 08:45 PM

That must look amazing; do you think that you could post a pic or two of the guitar with the bound neck; to me nothing looks better on an RG than a bound neck w/ offset dots, if Ibanez sold replacement JPM style necks I would probably have a cache of them.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-24-2003, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soloist
That must look amazing; do you think that you could post a pic or two of the guitar with the bound neck; to me nothing looks better on an RG than a bound neck w/ offset dots, if Ibanez sold replacement JPM style necks I would probably have a cache of them.
Ditto!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead785
Ibanez will not sell anyone any kind of neck unless it is accompanied with the broken neck from the guitar and even then they may not replace it with the exact same neck in return
Very strange. My neck was never played, I had to drill the holes for the tuner screws, and the string retainer bar, so they must have sold a spare neck somewhere.
I bought it on ebay though, so I don't know where it comes from.

Pics! I have to borrow a digital camera, so hang on patient.

Tony
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead785
I've heard that too, but about 10 years ago I was in a guitar shop and a box full of assorted Ibanez necks arrived, all unused. The shop wasn't an Ibanez dealer, just a very small backstreet type shop.

I wish I'd bought a few back then! I particularly remember them having a few 777DY necks...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 11:47 AM
Vendor

The rules weren't always so tight, and even today, many distributors don't follow them that tightly either. The rule is the rule [now] but that doesn't mean it's not broken.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-26-2003, 11:33 PM

I have to jump in here and ask why the hell you would take the 2020x 3 piece neck out? Was there something wrong with it?

THe neck on the 2020x has no scarf joint, hasa lovely profile, and oyu can add more dot inlays on the board easily.My feelings are really hurt over here
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 12:39 AM

Two things, neck/headstock binding and offset dots. The JPM and RG2020X necks have almost identical profiles and I have never heard any tonal differences between scarf jointed and non-scarf jointed guitars therefore the scarf joint factor to me is void. I know it is just a superficial cosmetic detail, I just feel that it really makes an RG look classy.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Secondino
I have to jump in here and ask why the hell you would take the 2020x 3 piece neck out? Was there something wrong with it?
There was nothing wrong with the neck, but i like the feel of the JPM neck better. It's slimmer and has a 42mm nut compared to RG/Jem's 43mm.
This is important to me because of my small hands, but it doesn't have to be right to everybody.

I love my guitar even more than my JPM now, because of three things:
1. Piezo (of course)
2. Volume knob fits my pinky (always liked the placement on RG/Jem)
3. 5 way pickup selector for two humbuckers. All 5 is useful, compared to the RG/Jem HSH setup, you'll never need the middle position.

Tony
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 08:39 AM

whats happening with the old neck ;-)

Rob
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK
Well, it's taking a break now, I don't know what I'm gonna do with it.
It's in perfect shape, no wear and no scars. Maybe I'll put it up for sale.

Tony
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 12:35 PM

i've got a question about it, could it fit a non RG, and moreover 22 fret guitar?
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony777
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem7RB MK
Well, it's taking a break now, I don't know what I'm gonna do with it.
It's in perfect shape, no wear and no scars. Maybe I'll put it up for sale.

Tony
Can i have first refusal if you decide to flog it :-) Perdy please ;-)

Rob
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2003, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam669
i've got a question about it, could it fit a non RG, and moreover 22 fret guitar?
Yes it will fit wioth some jiggery pokery,moreover,it's a lot of work,I've just picked up a JS1000 neck that would fit a treat ;-)

Rob

Tags
dot inlay , dot inlays , fret guitar , guitar shop , headstock binding , ibanez dealer , ibanez neck , ibanez necks , jpm neck , retainer bar , scarf joint

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode