Need advice about possible NGD - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

Need advice about possible NGD

I go t on yahoo japan auctions a few mins ago and found this:

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e142069560

BEAUTIFUL guitar. I REALLY want a 770 and especially in this color. However, I went to a known used goods shop here (the same place I got my 550 and 560) and found this:

http://komehyo.jp/disp/CSfGoodsPage_...OODS_NO=358635

I want a JB200C soooo badly. I plan on going to try it out tomorrow.

So here's my dilemma:

I can go and actually play the JB200 because this store is here in Nagoya (and I'll be down in the area near this store tomorrow as well). I cant try out the 770 AND the volume/tone knobs are missing AND the pickguard is clear, not stock.

If you were in this situation, what would anyone here do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 06:29 AM

Re: Need advice about possible NGD

If the JB200 looks, feels and sounds great I would probably take it. Carvin makes great instruments. I like the 770 but in this case I would lean toward the Carvin.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

That's what I was thinking. According to the description on the site, the JB200 is in near mint condition, very little wear. I'll check it out tomorrow but being that I already have both an RG550 and 560, and outside of the 560 all of my guitars are HSH, this would be a nice change.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 09:36 AM

Carvin, hands down. That one in particular is very nice. Go for it dude.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS RG View Post
Carvin, hands down. That one in particular is very nice. Go for it dude.
Ever since my mother brought up carvin, then reading posts on here from other jemsiters about carvins, I really looked into the JB200. With a phase out switch, coil tap, active mode and passive mode, it's just the most versatile guitar I could ever ask for.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatiasTolkki View Post
I go t on yahoo japan auctions a few mins ago and found this:

http://page5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/e142069560

BEAUTIFUL guitar. I REALLY want a 770 and especially in this color. However, I went to a known used goods shop here (the same place I got my 550 and 560) and found this:

I cant try out the 770 AND the volume/tone knobs are missing AND the pickguard is clear, not stock.

If you were in this situation, what would anyone here do?
I'd go for the 770dx which is supposed to have that clear pick guard. They were 'the' guitar to have in the early 90s if you didn't have a JEM. I always wanted the red one, and felt really pleased when I picked one up about 10 years ago. It's been a mainstay ever since I got it
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Ever since my mother brought up carvin, then reading posts on here from other jemsiters about carvins, I really looked into the JB200. With a phase out switch, coil tap, active mode and passive mode, it's just the most versatile guitar I could ever ask for.
I have a Carvin ST300 with the Becker profile neck. I opted to have just a single humbucker and volume (with single coil split on pull up). I would never use all of the those other controls. The neck is definitely different from an Ibanez wizard. Not as flat on the bottom. The thing I like about it is the upper fret access. It is way different then a bolt on. After buying the guitar I sould my MIK RG neck through. The carvin was just better. However, I would not sell my Ibanez RG bolt necks. They are just different.

Here's my Carvin. If you have any carvin questions just PM me.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Not only that, but the neck/body is extremely well made and precise.
It's a grown-up's guitar and a workhorse. Very good tone by itself.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Well after doing some deep thinking about this, I'm going to go try out the JB tomorrow and see if it fits me. If it's a good fit, I'm going to get a new one in a few months. I think having that sense of security knowing that I am the guitar's only daddy and that the guitar doesn't have any maintenance issues (like my 550 and the stupid 5 way selector issue) it's better that I go the route of a brand new guitar. Cost me a lot more, but I think I'll be able to afford it around April or May or so.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 11:12 AM

Reviews: 2

The only thing the 770 needs is the blue knobs.

There's a MASSIVE difference in price between these two guitars. If you can afford the Becker, why not pony up the few extra Yen and get both?

I am correct that 13,000 Yen converts to $125 USD, right?
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 11:13 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Well after doing some deep thinking about this, I'm going to go try out the JB tomorrow and see if it fits me. If it's a good fit, I'm going to get a new one in a few months. I think having that sense of security knowing that I am the guitar's only daddy and that the guitar doesn't have any maintenance issues (like my 550 and the stupid 5 way selector issue) it's better that I go the route of a brand new guitar. Cost me a lot more, but I think I'll be able to afford it around April or May or so.
There are no stupid issues........ just things you need to fix.....
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
The only thing the 770 needs is the blue knobs.

There's a MASSIVE difference in price between these two guitars. If you can afford the Becker, why not pony up the few extra Yen and get both?

I am correct that 13,000 Yen converts to $125 USD, right?
Yeah but I cant afford the becker this second and holy crap that auction shot up in price quick Last I checked it was still around 2500 yen or so
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 11:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
There are no stupid issues........ just things you need to fix.....
Well cant even attempt to fix things on my own till i clean up my apartment and make some space for a small table to do soldering and stuff. I really wanna learn how to do it myself so I can do it in my free time and not have to rely on shops all the time. Just dont have space yet Will have space next week
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Well cant even attempt to fix things on my own till i clean up my apartment and make some space for a small table to do soldering and stuff. I really wanna learn how to do it myself so I can do it in my free time and not have to rely on shops all the time. Just dont have space yet Will have space next week
There is nothing to it. It's not welding where you actually have to devote time to learning technique. It's soldering.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 12-21-2013, 12:51 PM

Reviews: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS RG View Post
There is nothing to it. It's not welding where you actually have to devote time to learning technique. It's soldering.
What you said......
It's not that hard, just make good, clean connections. Solder-wick is your best friend

Tags
jb200c , rg770

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode