Need advice on this before i buy it ! Possible Problem ! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Need advice on this before i buy it ! Possible Problem !

Hey guys

Well ive reserved a guitar on this website www.tommyguitars.com , which although never answering their phones , DO have good very good feedback on ****.

So basically ive reserved a pink kramer , lovely 80s guitar , hairspray included.
After receiving a few pics up close , i noticed it has a really rubbish broken headstock repair.
I asked them to put a maple neck on it from the new ones they were advertising as "new arrivals". Done. Pics sent, guitar looks EXCELLENT, even better with the new maple neck!

But then i notice somethign weird. Maybe its because im used to playing ibanezs which are symmetrically build perfect , but the strings dont go over the pole pieces in the neck pickup properly , especially the high e string :

pic1

Upon zooming in with the windows pic viewer thing , i noticed they dont exactly lineup with the back pickup either...

pic2

Also , the strings dont intersect the neck dots perfectly in the centre like on ibanezs..

pic3

Now im wondering , am i being paranoid , or was it like this before the neck got changed meaning it has nothing todo with the neck (ive no pics of it then) , or is it because the pickups arent "F Spaced" ? Its apparently loaded with a Seymour Duncan screamin demon humbucker and a random ESP single coil in the neck - both of which i plan to replace ofcourse...maybe theyre not f spaced?

Or worst of all , is this an amalgamation of loads of different guitars and being sold as factory build, hence the asymmetry?

A lot of worries arise from what seemed a perfect hairmetal guitar! Argh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2009, 10:55 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Need advice on this before i buy it ! Possible Problem !

Strings look close enough. If the guitar is slightly turned in the pix you also get an 'off-center' view of the strings, but most techs can adjust the neck a bit to true things up.
It doesn't look bad to me. F-spaced pickups are a bit wider to accomodate the Floyd Rose trems too.

~j
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-12-2009, 02:34 AM

Re: Need advice on this before i buy it ! Possible Problem !

the pickup isnt a problem but I do worry about the fact that they were willing to sell you a guitar with a repair to the headstock without telling you..
just makes you think what else do you not know ?
I would balance the deal on price paid I think.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode