Need advice on what guitar to get.... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

Need advice on what guitar to get....

Some of you might have seen the thread on the 540r I was looking at these days. Since that fell apart, I decided to look for something else. First of all, I can't afford anything prestige as it is way out of my range right now, and out of my credit limit too

Normally, I would try and get something brand new, but I'm finding the current non-prestige models to be a bit boring. Ideally I would want the S620EXFB. But that's not available here in Brazil, so I've been checking the used stuff to see what I can find. I saw a couple of good deals:

Ibanez S470DXQM in Transparent Black - 2006 model, seems to be in really good shape, and the price is good too. Doing the proper conversions it's going for $450.

Ibanez RG370DX in Jewel Blue + Ibanez GRX40 in Red - This is a bit of a crazy deal. Both guitars are going for about $300 in total. I am thinking of getting this just for the double guitar factor, even though I already have a Fender Stratocaster...but I could use the GRX for crazy experiments, or even do a different tuning or something.

And then of course, there are several other RGs ranging from the 270 to the 470 series in good prices too. There are a few other S series guitars, but none that really caught my interest, reason below.

My main dilemma though is that while the S470 in question is really beautiful, it comes with 22 frets only of course. I'm mainly a Satiani guy, but after spending several years with a 21-fret Strat, something with a bigger range would be nice. On the other hand though, the RG isn't as nice looking, and the Edge III bridge worries me a lot more than the ZR. Pickups will eventually be changed.

So, what do you guys reckon? I guess I could save money and get a higher end guitar all that stuff, but it would take far too long to get to that point, and I really want another guitar, at least this year. So, help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 02:10 PM

Re: Need advice on what guitar to get....

Keep looking.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino View Post
Keep looking.
Wow, nice way to bring my hopes down (J/K)

Well, I realize these aren't exactly fantastic guitars, but I really didn't want to spend more than $500. I did see a S1540, Edge Pro bridge, Flame Maple top, transparent green burst with gold hardware for about $700. Would that be worth it?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 03:18 PM

I would look for a used RG550, 560, or 570. You should be able to pick one up for a few hundred.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

What about the S1540 I mentioned? If you tell me that's a good price I would consider it. And that one is prestige.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 03:31 PM

I agree with dimarzio look for a used RG-550 RG570,or like a RG 770 or 750 something with a real edge trem, original egde lo-pro edge or edge pro. Good luck!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 03:38 PM

Agree with Dimarzio and Corpraider. You'll be able to get a 550 or a 570 etc for the kind of money you're talking. There are loads of them out there.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper-sfm View Post
What about the S1540 I mentioned? If you tell me that's a good price I would consider it. And that one is prestige.
Sorry Viper, I don't have experience with the S1540.

I wouldn't worry so much about the prestige label, but rather just find something made in Japan. If you have 500 to spend you can pickup an RG550/70 and pay a pro to setup it up nice (fret level, etc). Then you'll have a high quality guitar IMO.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

How about a 93' RG770dx SN: F310564? Still inquiring about conditions and etc...but the price is good I think $570,00.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
How about a 93' RG770dx SN: F310564? Still inquiring about conditions and etc...but the price is good I think $570,00.

Now that's more like it. The 770 is a great guitar imo. I don't know what price they are fetching in the States as I'm from the other side of the pond but that seems like a good price to me. Can you get any other info/pics mate?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

The pics he has uploaded are very bad quality. He said the guitar hardware has some obvious signs of use, which is expected for a 93' guitar. There is a small chip on the side, and the color is a bit faded, but apart from that the paint is in great condition. The guitar is in Lazer Blue. There is an extra switch that was added to change the phase of the pickups. Apart from that the guitar is all original.

Last edited by Viper-sfm; 09-09-2009 at 08:03 PM.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Ok, the color is very faded...not so sure about this one anymore either. Guess I gotta keep looking...
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 09:29 PM

If you like the Radius, you should maybe try to get an older Saber/540-S. I really like the 2 that I have. Very versatile and comfortable guitar, and if you get an older one it will have the original Edge trem. I know most around here would probably disagree, but I just never really liked the look/feel of the RG. I always preferred the S and R series.

Good luck on your quest!
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-09-2009, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

In an ideal world what I would like to get is a JS1200. But that is way too expensive here in Brasil to consider it. I'd need a good raise and a few months of saving to get it.

A thought that crossed my mind is to just get a JS100 and upgrade it. That would probably be expensive in the long run, but at least the cost wouldn't be all at once.

Anyway, I'll keep looking. Buying guitars here in Brasil sucks. Even the models we get from Ibanez are not as nice as in the US. If it weren't for the import fees, I'd get stuff from Rich or someway else in the US.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-10-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
In an ideal world what I would like to get is a JS1200. But that is way too expensive here in Brasil to consider it. I'd need a good raise and a few months of saving to get it.

A thought that crossed my mind is to just get a JS100 and upgrade it. That would probably be expensive in the long run, but at least the cost wouldn't be all at once.

Anyway, I'll keep looking. Buying guitars here in Brasil sucks. Even the models we get from Ibanez are not as nice as in the US. If it weren't for the import fees, I'd get stuff from Rich or someway else in the US.
Don't do that. That S prestige sounds like a good deal if it's in good shape, but those (even the prestige) are Korean.

Wait, Edge pro? If it's one of the Japan models you might be good. Some people don't like the s guitars so make sure you are comfortable with that body shape and neck profile.

Last edited by Dino; 09-10-2009 at 01:49 AM. Reason: wait!

Tags
advice ibanez rg s

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode