Need a change... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Need a change...

Much as I love Jems/ UVs, i do need a change. Something more, well, middle aged...

In terms of LPs/J Customs, I would welcome any views on what's hot and what's not for say less than £800 (used of course),

Let me know what you think folks

Ian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 03:26 PM

Re: Need a change...

Ever considered a JS?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 03:32 PM

LOL I was middle-aged when I made the switch to Jems and RGs!
I think the JS advice is great....but I'd look at all options especially the usual suspects like Fender, Gibson, PRS.

Best of luck!
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 03:35 PM Thread Starter

Not really, any particular models rated above the others for playability/ reliablity/ Sound?
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 03:37 PM

Yeh, PRS are very nice For £800, you could pick up a nice CE. J-Custom wise, you'd be able to get something like a RG8570. Now if you are interested in a J-C, shoot me a PM
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyamarillo View Post
Not really, any particular models rated above the others for playability/ reliablity/ Sound?
I'd say the JS1, 900, 1000 and 1200 are all on a par with each other. If you prefer a fixed bridge, then a JS2000 would be a nice guitar.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyamarillo View Post
Seeing as sound and playability are subject to each persons opinion, I cant see how one would rate higher than another.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Fair point, just trying to flush out if any are generally talked about in less favourable terms / anecdotally regarded as less desirable..we've all got ears and fingers.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 05:08 PM

A JS is still very close to a Jem.
I suggest you try some Gibsons or PRSes. Glued necks and mahogany bodies are an entirely different experience. Very addictive in my case.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2008, 07:30 PM

Well I still quite like The old Ibby copies.
problem is that gibson, prs, and fender are all overpriced in the europe.

Tokai has some really fantastic gibson and fender style copies.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:36 AM

Well, PRS has the SE series, which is pretty cheap, and good quality.
And Gibson's Studio series isn't that expensive anymore either, with the low dollar.
And ofcourse there's Ibanez and Yamaha 'Les Paul/PRS-ish' models, like the Artist.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 11:48 AM

Edwards
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:09 PM

Look for an old Ibanez Artist, or play a few semi-hollows.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 01:20 PM

[QUOTE=Scali;829942]A JS is still very close to a Jem.
QUOTE]

not really. neck is completely different, lower output pickups that sound completely different and a different body style. only thing i would say is similar about these guitars is that they are superstrats and made by ibanez.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rastachild View Post
not really. neck is completely different, lower output pickups that sound completely different and a different body style. only thing i would say is similar about these guitars is that they are superstrats and made by ibanez.
Yea right... You forget that most of them are basswood bodies with bolt-on maple neck and rosewood fretboard, have a 25.5" scale... and they use the same hardware.
In fact, if I'm not mistaken, they both used DiMarzio PAF Pro pickups at one point.
So tonally they're very similar, and even playing-wise they're not that far apart... The body style, neck-shape and pickups are about the only difference... although the body style is clearly a close relative to the Strat in both cases.

A Les Paul is completely different in virtually every way. Different scale, different hardware, different type of wood, different construction, different body shape...

Bottom line is, a JS is MUCH closer to a Jem than a Les Paul-type guitar is. Even a Strat is quite different, because of the wood and pickup types.
So if you're looking for something different than a Jem, I don't think the JS is the right place to look. The JS is about the closest you can get to a Jem, apart from an RG.

Tags
basswood bodies , body shape , dimarzio paf , hollow body , output pickup , paf pro pickups , pro pickups , prs guitar , prs guitars

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode