Need Fender Strat with Floyd Rose recommendation.. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 03:43 PM Thread Starter

Need Fender Strat with Floyd Rose recommendation..

..can someone give me some recommendations as to what Strat I might be looking for with a Floyd Rose? I've been waiting for the Charvel Pro Mods to come up and can't stand the way Charvel is doing things so now I'm thinking a Fender Strat.

I like playing 80's hair metal so looking for the capability of an Ibanez (have a RG370 and RG350) but with a Strat look and feel.

thanks in advance..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 03:49 PM

Re: Need Fender Strat with Floyd Rose recommendation..

Well the Fender Balcktop HH might be what you are looking for.. floyd and all. I'm not a fan of those knobs on a guitar though
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 03:51 PM

If you want something strat like, rather than strictly a Fender, I'd go for a G&L (still a Fender you could argue!) The Invader series are brilliant:
http://www.glguitars.com/instruments...ader/index.asp
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 03:52 PM

also the Adrian Smith Jacksons.. those are going for 499 now!

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-13-2013, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUITARMAGEDDON View Post
also the Adrian Smith Jacksons.. those are going for 499 now!

+1. Good call. Def worth considering.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 05:55 AM

How(e) about a Fender HM? Great guitars and with all the Fender sounds plus a humbucker in the bridge and a Kahler whammy.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2013, 05:52 PM

Reviews: 120

I was going to say Charvel Pro Mod, what have you got against them though?

EVH Striped series too.

And of course the Jackson Adrian Smith SDX, bargain of the century for sure!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 03:22 AM

Another option would be to pick up one of the late 80s Japanese hotrod Strats with a Kahler Steeler licensed Floyd. I have an 89 Olympic white with a rosewood board, and it's hands down he nicest Strat I've ever played. They can typically be had pretty inexpensively. Also, the Steeler may be the best Floyd I've ever owned, just a crazygood tremolo.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 10:27 AM

Reviews: 6

if you can find one and want to spend the money fender made a strat called an hrr (hard rock reissue)...they had a 50's and a 60's style strat with dimarzios and a humbucker in the bridge...they were made in japan and are absolutely excellent players...kinda rare though...d.m.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 10:50 AM

Reviews: 5

Of course, Fender still sells a standard strat with an original floyd rose. Not only are they pretty affordable, but you get the traditional strat shape and nice fender single coils in the neck and middle.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-15-2013, 11:15 AM

Reviews: 15

Forget a strat. Go with one of these "super strats", it doesn't get more 80s than a Kramer Pacer:

Check out my initial review on this forum. I also submitted a review in the reviewers area that is awaiting approval. In short, this guitar is fantastic.

http://www.jemsite.com/forums/f19/kr...0s-128893.html

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitycane View Post
..can someone give me some recommendations as to what Strat I might be looking for with a Floyd Rose? I've been waiting for the Charvel Pro Mods to come up and can't stand the way Charvel is doing things so now I'm thinking a Fender Strat.

I like playing 80's hair metal so looking for the capability of an Ibanez (have a RG370 and RG350) but with a Strat look and feel.

thanks in advance..
Man, I remember trying out Floyded Stats in the late 80s and early 90s and not being that impressed. However, back in January I went to the US for NAMM, a tour of Suhr and to visit my favorite shop Wild West guitars...... Now I spent two full days at WWG fully expecting to bring a PRS or a Suhr home..... But they also have a bit of a niche in Floyded Fenders doing custom runs and stuff. Over that whole week the guitar I could not leave without was a Floyded Fender!

Totally not what I was looking for but it played and sounded phenomenal....

That said it is right at the top end it is a Custom Shop 1960 Ultimate Relic by Jason Smith. But it has reignited my love to crank out a bit of 80's hair rock!!

That said, it is a pricey guitar, but it leads me to some sense in advice...... Perhaps the best way is to get the 80's vibe is do what those guys did in the 80s (and what inspired Jason with this build)...... Find the best playing, cheapest USA Fender Strat you can, and have a great guitar tech install a Floyd and your gave 'bucker and set her up ready to rip!!!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 07:33 AM

Reviews: 120

Or hit Warmoth, Musikraft, etc.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycitycane View Post

thanks in advance..
Just get the Charvel, nothing else is even close to it in the current market for the price.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-16-2013, 08:46 AM

Reviews: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by IbanezNorthwest View Post
Man, I remember trying out Floyded Stats in the late 80s and early 90s and not being that impressed. However, back in January I went to the US for NAMM, a tour of Suhr and to visit my favorite shop Wild West guitars...... Now I spent two full days at WWG fully expecting to bring a PRS or a Suhr home..... But they also have a bit of a niche in Floyded Fenders doing custom runs and stuff. Over that whole week the guitar I could not leave without was a Floyded Fender!

Totally not what I was looking for but it played and sounded phenomenal....

That said it is right at the top end it is a Custom Shop 1960 Ultimate Relic by Jason Smith. But it has reignited my love to crank out a bit of 80's hair rock!!

That said, it is a pricey guitar, but it leads me to some sense in advice...... Perhaps the best way is to get the 80's vibe is do what those guys did in the 80s (and what inspired Jason with this build)...... Find the best playing, cheapest USA Fender Strat you can, and have a great guitar tech install a Floyd and your gave 'bucker and set her up ready to rip!!!
Never understood why someone would pay large amounts of money for a beat up guitar.....

Jimmy

Tags
fender stratocaster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode