Need Help Choosing a Classical - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Need Help Choosing a Classical

Hey guys !
i need some help choosing a good mid-priced classical guitar...i'm looking to spend $500 or less. I'd really rather not have something brand-new. So if there are any old Yamaha models that are good, i'd like to know what they are so i can find them. It doesn't have to be Yamaha, though, just anything that is old and semi-low priced. I'm buying it to use as a back-up for my '76 Yairi, which i'm kinda' scared to take anywhere I'd like to have another Yairi, actually, i LOVE mine ! What about Ovation classicals ? How are they ? I was also debating about getting one of the new Takemini Sante Fe classicals. I would like for it to have a spruce top { natural colour--- blonde-looking } , but cedar is okay, too. Deep, thick tone is essential, too, of course.
Any help would be much appreciated !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-12-2002, 11:33 PM

I love older Yamaha classicals.

I traded for one in 1978 for a mid '60's Teisco Telestar electric. It doesn't have a model or serial # on the soundhole label so I'm not sure how old it is. The label reads: Yamaha - Nippon, Gakki. The Yamaha name on the headstock is written in fancy script letters and there is no sign of the 3 crossed tuning forks anywhere to be found.

Any ideas on how old this one is?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Hi again !!!
i need some opinions, FAST { within 24 hours of this post } !!! I have an opportunity to buy a 70-something Yamaha G100A classical guitar for $50. Does ANYBODY know ANYTHiNG about these guitars ??? If you do, please post everything you know about them ! I need to know if they sound good, most importantly. That's all that matters to me. Please please please help !

Thanks !
Ben
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 09:27 AM
site founder 0% owner

Reviews: 1
you might want to run a websearch and check the harmony-central reviews for this axe. But regardless of opinions, IMHO $50 for a playable classical is a *steal*. I'd consider this a no-brainer if it offers decent tunability, intonation and sound with no defects, lifted bridge, etc. Good luck... glen
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-15-2002, 05:21 PM

Go to www.southwestguitar.com. This is my guitar teachers little business and he will get you what you want at a good price and he will get you a great guitar. Honestly his prices beat Guitar Center and his selction is better. Just a suggestion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode