Need help in choosing guitar. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 01:50 AM Thread Starter

Need help in choosing guitar.

Hi ya,
Actually Im looking for a guitar that is suitable for playing Eric Johnson, Eric Clapton, Joe Satriani styles. Right now Im thinking of a agile H-H strat copy, and planning to install a PAF pro on the neck, and paf tonezone on the bridge and with coil split, will this be alright for the kind of music Im looking for? Or is there any better choice? I prefer guitars with pickguards. I will love to have a js1200 but (no offence) from what I see from pictures posted on JS1200 CA, it doesnt look really well(or it look better in real life?). I find the coil split function in JS1200 is really attractive. And if I will to get a decent home pratice amp, will marshall MG-15 mircostack II do the job?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 11:15 AM

Re: Need help in choosing guitar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReWolf
Hi ya,
Actually Im looking for a guitar that is suitable for playing Eric Johnson, Eric Clapton, Joe Satriani styles. Right now Im thinking of a agile H-H strat copy, and planning to install a PAF pro on the neck, and paf tonezone on the bridge and with coil split, will this be alright for the kind of music Im looking for? Or is there any better choice? I prefer guitars with pickguards. I will love to have a js1200 but (no offence) from what I see from pictures posted on JS1200 CA, it doesnt look really well(or it look better in real life?). I find the coil split function in JS1200 is really attractive. And if I will to get a decent home pratice amp, will marshall MG-15 mircostack II do the job?
Well first off clapton and jonhnson use strats with single coil pickups and alder body's and satch uses basswood with humbuckers.Mabe a HSS guitar might be able to help you cover the two different styles.....
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReWolf
Hi ya,
coil splitting is an awesome, awesome feature, but for actually nailing the clapton/johnson tones, i think you may have to have an actually single coil, probbaly like lace sensors or something (i'm not sure what pickups they use).
what you could do.. is get a guitar.. have a custom pickguard made for HHS. you'll have a true single in the neck position and tow hums in the Mid and bridge. coil tap the hums. could be fairly versatile for what you wanna do.

i don't recommend a microstack. get a small combo that is good. i think there is a lot of hype behind the microstack
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 11:45 AM

Hey bro

I don't know what your $$$ are exactly on spending
for a geetar.

For a cheaper soloution but maximun performance, have you
ever thought of trying an older Kramer?
One with an original Floyd Rose.

They sport the older Stratocaster bodies and there are old pacers with pick gaurds.
Think EVH 80's

They truly rock especially for whatever you can throw at them.......

Just a thought.

Good luck with your quest.
Squeeg
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 12:01 PM

The JS1200CA looks absolutely fantastic in the flesh - pictures don't do the finish justice.

As for the practice amp - the Marshall ministack is meant to be pretty crap. I used to have an MG15 it was OK.

For home use I'd recommend a POD into your computer speakers or into your stereo system. Fantasic range of tones and effects - great fun at home
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratosqueeg

What do all those controls do on that red one? Looks crazy.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 04:32 PM

Hi
actually, it's pretty amazing, here is how it works:
1) do I want clean or distorted or BLENDED dist+clean ? use 3 position switch
2 )how loud do I want the distortion compared to the clean? each clean and dist have their own volume for perfect blend.
3) how much distortion gain and attack do I want ? crank the seperate dist gain/comp knob
4) how much distortion do I want for EACH string (adjust each string from the back plate = thank you analog hexaphonic distortion with 6 handwired distortion boxes hidden in the electronics, bye bye crappy lifeless tone roland vg8
5) do I want mono out (1 amp) -> then each pan knob (6 , 1 per string), becomes each string's individual volume
6) do I want stereo out (2 amps) -> then each pan knob adjust the position of each string in the stereo space. use the rare splitter box it comes with to send left and right to different amps.
7) adjust master volume for overall loudness
adjust master tone knob for overall tone
9) sound like EVH on Top Jimmy
10) play like EVH and don't forget to use the Floyd.

cheers

In all honesty it's pretty cool and different!

The old guitar player for Bob Dylan invented it and because he
is good friends with Eddie, voila a guitar for Eddie to use circa 80's.

Steve Ripley is the inventor.
He is a really cool guy!

Squeegy
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Is there a whole series similar to that red guitar or just the one? It's very intruiging.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Hi
actually, it's pretty amazing, here is how it works:
1) do I want clean or distorted or BLENDED dist+clean ? use 3 position switch
2 )how loud do I want the distortion compared to the clean? each clean and dist have their own volume for perfect blend.
3) how much distortion gain and attack do I want ? crank the seperate dist gain/comp knob
4) how much distortion do I want for EACH string (adjust each string from the back plate = thank you analog hexaphonic distortion with 6 handwired distortion boxes hidden in the electronics, bye bye crappy lifeless tone roland vg8
5) do I want mono out (1 amp) -> then each pan knob (6 , 1 per string), becomes each string's individual volume
6) do I want stereo out (2 amps) -> then each pan knob adjust the position of each string in the stereo space. use the rare splitter box it comes with to send left and right to different amps.
7) adjust master volume for overall loudness
adjust master tone knob for overall tone
9) sound like EVH on Top Jimmy
10) play like EVH and don't forget to use the Floyd.

cheers

In all honesty it's pretty cool and different!

The old guitar player for Bob Dylan invented it and because he
is good friends with Eddie, voila a guitar for Eddie to use circa 80's.

Steve Ripley is the inventor.
He is a really cool guy!

Squeegy
Wow! I'd just get completely lost though, I think i'll stick to my volume and tone!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 07:48 PM

JS, EC and EJ all use valve amps - something like a Marshall JCM800 50 watt combo is a much better option if you can find one - loud enough to gig with and seriously good tone when you add a decent overdrive pedal in front of it - I'd think you'd pick one up in the States for peanuts? You are probably chasing the impossible, guitarwise, trying to get the tones of all three with one guitar, besides, it's much more fun finding your own signature tone!
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 08:12 PM

Those are some pretty different tones to be seeking dude. Clapton is a total single coil man - most all of his recognized music is on a strat. Satch is different, he has a much more modern, heavy sound. You're chasing after a do-it-all guitar, which is kind of difficult. If you want both, then i suggest a guitar with a true single coil rather than a coil-tap. Clapton used Lace Sensor Golds in his strats for a quite some time, then Vintage Noiseless. Satch has a Dimarzio PAF Joe. Picking up an old RG and dropping the stock pickups for these might be a good option.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 08:26 PM

I just bought a Carvin DC127, used. It was very cheap, but it's a very nice guitar and the neck is perfect. The coil switching is also very useful, and I would recommend you one.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 10:39 PM

Quote:

nice knob
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-22-2006, 10:55 PM

That knob is pretty funny. Should get a tone and have one on 3 and the other on 4
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 01-23-2006, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTart
Those are some pretty different tones to be seeking dude. Clapton is a total single coil man - most all of his recognized music is on a strat. Satch is different, he has a much more modern, heavy sound. You're chasing after a do-it-all guitar, which is kind of difficult. If you want both, then i suggest a guitar with a true single coil rather than a coil-tap. Clapton used Lace Sensor Golds in his strats for a quite some time, then Vintage Noiseless. Satch has a Dimarzio PAF Joe. Picking up an old RG and dropping the stock pickups for these might be a good option.
how about eric johnson tones? That my main focus now actually. Actually I had a s series with lo pro passed down by my father, maybe that can play satriani stuff easily

Tags
alder body , coil pickup , coil split , coil splitting , coil tap , custom pickguard , dimarzio paf , dimarzio paf joe , eric clapton , eric johnson , floyd rose , joe satriani , lace sensor , lace sensors , master tone , neck position , neck pup , overdrive pedal , paf joe , paf pro , practice amp , stevie ray , valve amps

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode