Need Help Choosing An Ibanez... Need Recommendations! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Cool Need Help Choosing An Ibanez... Need Recommendations!

Hello everyone, this is my first post. Look foward to posting here often.... Now to the questions.

Well, I was impressed with a S470 or S520 but then played a RGT42DXFX (fixed bridge) and was totally blown away by how much faster the neck was (effortless to play), the super low action and how much more versatile it was. Chrunchy rhythms and singing leads. Thats pretty much the extent of my Ibanez experience. Havent played much more than those models.

So I'm looking for a guitar with similar features (playability/versatility) as the RGT42DXFX but more of an upgrade of quality/parts/playability. For example rather than a $600 price range, somewhere around $900 new. I'd appreciate any infomation on what models I should check out. Like I said, I havent played very many Ibanez's but found RGT's to play really nice so would want something similar/better.

Some Side notes:

I'm not too concerned about the stock pickups because I plan to replace them with Dimarzio's anyways. I'm also not too worried about 24 or 22 frets (unless I should be??). A neck through body is a plus. And I would only want a trem if its going to stay in tune with bar usage. Also I would really like some sort of flamed or quilted archtop. However looking at the Ibanez website I see that finishes are limited, which is a bummer so I'm open minded.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 05:47 PM

Re: Need Help Choosing An Ibanez... Need Recommendations!

Yeah the limited color options does kinda suck. But the RGT is very solid. The RGA and RG321MH are pretty similar. I have played an RGA321 and found it to be very welcoming to say the least. And i llike the Gibraltar bridges.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 12:53 AM Thread Starter

Bummer, 54 views and only one reply.

Thanks bigugly for the response. Whats the main difference between RGT and RGA models? How does the Prestige neck on the RGA compare to the Wizard II on the RGT? Is the prestige faster?

Everyone else feel free time chime in with any info! Thanks
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 01:50 AM

I wouldn't say that the Prestige neck is "faster" but it is definitely thinner. Also, RGT models are thru-neck and RGA models have bolt-on necks but they have arched tops. An RGA321 is my dream guitar and I would even take one over a JEM (yeah, that's right...I went there). But you'll just have to go around and start playing different Ibanez guitars because until you do you'll never really know what everyone's talking about on this website.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 08:00 AM

The S2170 prestige has a prestige Wizard II neck. It also has Dimarzio IBZ pups.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 08:30 AM

Reviews: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroyer Of Senses
....played a RGT42DXFX (fixed bridge) and was totally blown away by how much faster the neck was (effortless to play), the super low action...
Don't base your decision on how well one guitar plays over another. Action is very subjective and personal. Also, guitars on hanging on the wall in music store may or may not have been set-up after leaving the factory. Almost any guitar can play as well as another. It's just a matter of getting the guitar set-up with the strings you like and the action you prefer.
Quote:
A neck through body is a plus.
A neck-thru-body will have more sustain and a different feel than bolt-on neck, a neck-thru-body can also not have it's neck angle adjusted (to get the best action possible) and if anything ever goes wrong with the neck (on a neck-thru-body), getting it fixed will be significantly more difficult and expensive when compared to bolt-on neck. I'm not saying either is better than the other. Each has pros and cons and it would behoove you to consider both.
Quote:
And I would only want a trem if its going to stay in tune with bar usage.
Any Ibanez Edge that is set-up properly will stay in tune very well.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-31-2006, 09:25 PM

'faster' is really a personal performance. i find the RGT42 appealing but the finished neck feels sticky after prolonged playing.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germX
'faster' is really a personal performance. i find the RGT42 appealing but the finished neck feels sticky after prolonged playing.
I agree. My favorite guitar to play at the moment is my RG321MHMOL. I love the simplicity and the feel of it and mine resonates better than any of my other guitars. I'm still debating what kind of pickups I want to put in it but I'm also going to go ahead and change the nut to bone. But man, I can fly up and down this guitar like no other.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 03:34 AM

For your requirements of an archtop and fixed bridge and $900, the RGA121 would most closely meet your needs. It's not a neck through though but it has the AANJ so it's close in feel.

The Prestige RGT (neck through) models are $1450 or more. And the Prestige RGT necks don't have the white binding on the fingerboard and headstock like the RGT42 does if you like that.

The Wizard II on the RGT42 is the same specs as the Prestige neck but is about 1mm thicker.

You'll have to try a Prestige neck to see if you like it. Like toneboy said, you can't really judge fairly in a guitar store from guitar to guitar because most guitars don't get a proper setup. I've seen $2000 Jackson SL2H guitars with their action so high you could limbo under it and the same with JEMs, etc. And you can pick up a $300 and it "plays" better because someone set it up or it was better set up at the factory. Also, a fixed bridge guitar is more likely to be set up better from the factory; less adjustments and opportunities for someone in a store to screw up.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyconxero
I agree. My favorite guitar to play at the moment is my RG321MHMOL. I love the simplicity and the feel of it and mine resonates better than any of my other guitars. I'm still debating what kind of pickups I want to put in it but I'm also going to go ahead and change the nut to bone. But man, I can fly up and down this guitar like no other.
hey man, i own the RG321 too... this guitar is a lesson in simplicity & good tones. invest in your favourite pickups in there & you're made.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-01-2006, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies so far! I'll have to try and get my hands on a Ibanez with a Prestige neck to see how I like it compared to the Wizard II.

What are your guys' thoughts on RG550 and RG520 models? I know they are no longer made but I hear they are some of the better Ibanez guitars. What is the difference between the maple fretboard on the 550 and the rosewood (i think its rosewood) on the 520?
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 05:55 AM

It's...the difference between maple and rosewood. It has a different feel and a different tone. A lot of people prefer maple fingerboards but alas Ibanez doesn't make any guitars with them anymore except for the PGM. But you really can't go wrong with an RG5xx guitar as long as it's been well-maintained.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

How would you describe the tonal differences between maple and rosewood? Is maple brighter, darker, ect.? Out of the RG520, RG550, and RG570 which would be the best choice? How would either of those compare to a RG42DXFX(fixed bridge)? I really loved the feel of the RG42DXFX so I want something that plays as well or better than it.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-02-2006, 11:32 PM

I don't think there are any major differences between the RG520, 550, and 570 except that the 520 has dual humbuckers while the 550 and 570 have an H-S-H pickup config. Also, it is possible to find 550s with maple fingerboards. As far as tone goes, I would say that maple is brighter than rosewood and it really makes your notes pop off the fingerboard. What I've noticed from the few guitars that I've run into with maple fingerboards is that you tend to get a very twangy sound out of the guitar.

Now if you LOVED the feel of the RGT42DXFX then maybe you should just buy that guitar. The RG5xx series guitars all have floating trems and their necks are CONSIDERABLY thinner than the RGT42DXFX. Whether or not you would like this or not you may not know until you actually play one. I got to play someone's RG520 recently and the neck was crazy thin to me. It had that cool-looking skunk stripe down the neck which I can only assume was to strengthen it but how then it was kind of bothered me. I could still play the guitar, but it wasn't quite as inviting as my RGs with Wizard II necks which feel a tad bit rounder and thus more comfortable on the hands IMO. With that being said, I believe the current Prestige line is slightly thicker than these older models but still not quite as comfortable as a Wizard II. I think that the JEM neck profile is about as perfect as you can get as far as necks go and I would really love to have one.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-03-2006, 08:40 AM

A prestige wizard II neck will be the same dimensions as a standard wizard II neck. Same goes for wizard I. Here are the dimensions from the Ibanez website.

Wizard II 5pc. Prestige - dimensions

Scale 648mm/25.5"
a : Width at Nut 43mm
b : Width at Last Fret 56mm
c : Thickness at 1st 19mm
d : Thickness at 12th 21mm
Radius 400mmR

Wizard II 3pc. - dimensions

Scale 648mm/25.5"
b : Width at Last Fret 56mm
c : Thickness at 1st 19mm
d : Thickness at 12th 21mm
Radius 400mmR

Wizard I 5pc. Prestige - dimensions

Scale 648mm/25.5"
b : Width at Last Fret 58mm
c : Thickness at 1st 18mm
d : Thickness at 12th 20mm
Radius 430mmR

Wizard I 3pc. - dimensions

Scale 648mm/25.5"
b : Width at Last Fret 58mm
c : Thickness at 1st 18mm
d : Thickness at 12th 20mm
Radius 430mmR

Basically the same but differant. 5pc. instead of 3pc., More attention to detail/finish, Heel on back of neck @ nut. Couple of other things.

Wizard I is thinner than Wizard II. Wizard II feels flatter and thicker on the back compared to the Wizard I (my expieriance).

Wizard I is about the thinnest neck I have played on any guitar. It is fast for me.

Wizard II is thin...but a little more average thickness (nothing like a strat).

I felt a little faster on wizard I. I felt a little cleaner on wizard II

Hope that helps.

Tags
dimarzio ibz , fixed bridge , fixed bridge guitar , floating trems , ibanez guitars , jem neck , jem neck profile , maple fingerboard , maple fingerboards , maple fret , maple fretboard , music store , neck angle , prestige wizard

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode