Need help EMG's in Prestige - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 10:36 AM Thread Starter

Need help EMG's in Prestige

Hey everyone, I bought my first Ibanez guitar a few weeks back now. Its a Prestige RG 652k and its stock pups are Tone Zone in the bridge and Air Norton in the neck. First I guess I should probably mention I'm more of a metal head then anything, Also I tend to be an active pickup guy. This Tone Zone just is not working for me basically no mater what I do. My current setup is a Peavey 1x12 Green Back Celestion Cab with a Peavey 6505Mh and I'm running a TS9 as a constant clean boost. I'm actually a little confused about whether or not I'm using that correctly. Anyway I have a decent setup for metal and nothing I do is working so heres my problem

I have heard sometimes to fit EMG's in Ibanez guitars you have to route the pickup tabs sometimes for the depth of the cavity sometimes for the pickup tabs sometimes for both. This is my guitar http://www.ibanez.com/products/u_eg_...297&color=CL01

I know I am going to have to file down the plastic tabs on the pickups because mine are the rounded triangle ones and the EMG's are the rectangle. Are there any other fore-see-able issues with this project. Also is it possible to file enough off those EMG's without the tabs breaking?

Thanks for any and all help in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 03:11 PM

Re: Need help EMG's in Prestige

Yeah you'd probably need to rout the pick up's cavity and see if there is space in the control cavity for the battery, honestly i would try to find a passive pick up more to my liking first.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 05:15 PM

The Tone Zone itself is a very bass and mid heavy pickup, so it doesn't always lend itself to getting really heavy tones that want a really tight bass and scooped mid response.

If I were you I'd look at the other passive pickup options out there before having to hack into a guitar to fit actives. I know Dimarzio do a passive model that's specifically designed to sound like and have a similar response to active pickups, perhaps that is exactly the thing you need for this guitar?

*just to add - I never really play metal, but I haven't ever been able to get along with The Tone Zone either. Some people think it's the best thing since sliced bread, others not so much...
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-27-2016, 07:46 PM Thread Starter

Really appreciate the replies so far. Well I called EMG and they seem'd to think it could be done by filing the pickup tabs and I would NOT have to rout the cavity at all, I'm not entirely convinced tho so I thought I would get some feed back here. Also due to the rounded triangle pickup tabs on the guitar I am entirely limited to Damarzio's correct? Can I get that really heavy Master of Puppets sound without an EMG 81 in the bridge? And please recommendations on passives for that job if so. I love Lamb of God and there super heavy sound and I know Mark Morton uses dominions but from my understanding they are very mid heavy so would that pickup only lend itself to a Lamb of God-ish sound or could I scope the mids and get a Master of Puppets sound out of it? Your thoughts are much appreciated thank you so much. Not to repeat myself but please recommendations for passives if you guys think theres a passive out there that will work for me.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Bump :\
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 11:49 AM

In terms of what (passive) pickups you could choose from for the sound you want, I'm sorry but I really can't help you, I just never really play that type of music so I've never bought or played that type of pickup.

In terms of what passive pickups you could choose that fit your guitar without modification (either to the pickup or the guitar) - most dimarzios will fit, not sure about other manufacturers.

However Seymour Duncan do an active set with triangular tabs - called Blackouts - that might be what you're after if you really want active pickups that fit the guitar.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 11:50 AM

You could probably mount a battery somewhere in the switch/pot cavity too.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Oh wow duncan can do the triangular tabs for an ibanez?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 01:44 PM

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Lemme ask you this, I just called Seymour Duncan he thought that even tho the tabs are a match the base plate wouldn't fit? What are you thoughts?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-28-2016, 06:06 PM

Reviews: 15

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned other SD pickups like the Distortion, JB, or even the Black Winters. Unless you got a real woody to have actives, I'd check those out.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-29-2016, 08:59 PM

I used EMGs many years ago and haven't used them since. Not much of a fan, myself. I do play the heavier stuff but I get great results from some lower output humbuckers and I let my amp do more of the work for me.

I am betting you will have to route out things. They look like a thicker pickup and depending upon how your bridge sits in the guitar now, you may have an issue with keeping the pickup from touching the strings. I'm also wondering about the corner routes and if the pickups will even fit into the stock holes...I'm talking about the corners. Post a pic if you get it to work!

Last edited by PBGas; 07-29-2016 at 09:04 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-30-2016, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I'm about to start a new forum and take before pic's and explain the project. I called EMG and spoke with Rob Turner actually, and I've been on and off the phone with Ibanez/Hoshino and both partys seem to think worst case I'll have to file the dog ears on the pickups. Both said the pickup cavity itself should have far more then enough space. I've compared the dimensions of my current pickup (Dimarzio Tone Zone) to the EMG's and and the EMG is actually slightly smaller. The tabs are the wrong shape tho and I do think I will be modifying the tabs on it but! I did find this in my pursuit for information. http://bulk-share.slickpic.com/album...p/DSC_0452.jpg same exact pickup cavity, same rounded triangle dog ear tabs. its an RG8320 so between the measurements I've taken and this I'm hoping I've planed ahead for any possible variable. Wish me luck tho guys I ordered the EMGs and they'll be in soon.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-31-2016, 02:50 PM

dimarzio d activators and bare knuckle miracle man sound like emgs
either will give you the sound of master of puppets(provided you have a nice amp)

and no routing will be needed
give em a try
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Yeah I have a 6505Mh and a 1x12 green back celestation speaker cab. Its pretty nice for what I'm doing.. I'll be investing in a mark 5:25 soon, really blown away with that amp. Anyway thank you for the passive pickup suggestion, if you had caught me a few days earlier I would have probably gone that route but to be honest I love active pickups I really am a hardcore EMG fan. Also as far as modifications go.. I'm not modifying the guitar I bought a dremmil (Spelling?) to modify the EMG pickups, which I had already bought prior to your post but thats ok this is the first time I'll have done something like this and it should be exciting and fun. I've never swapped pickups but I'm usually pretty good with stuff like this and I'm happy I'm learning to do it for myself rather then pay money like I have in the past. Any who, like I said in the above post I'm going to start a new thread and I'll post up some pics and generally outline exactly what I'm doing, what I'm modifying, and yada yada. Thanks for all the posts guys, wish me luck! Hope all goes well!

Tags
emg , pickups , prestige , rg 652k

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode