Need help figuring out this finish - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

Need help figuring out this finish

Hey there.
I have an 89' RG550 (Serial No. F937503)
I've been trying to figure out the finish but can't find it anywhere, it also has a matching headstock.
Also the color does have a kind of metallic sparkle to it, very faint, but it's there.
I'd appreciate the help
Here's some pics:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 01:32 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Need help figuring out this finish

Looks to have a very late serial number. It would say you have a early 1990 RG550 in laser blue. I have the same guitar in mint almost unplayed condition. I don't think the laser blue came until 1990. They had racks full of necks and were probably using the last of the necks from '89.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhead52 View Post
Looks to have a very late serial number. It would say you have a early 1990 RG550 in laser blue. I have the same guitar in mint almost unplayed condition. I don't think the laser blue came until 1990. They had racks full of necks and were probably using the last of the necks from '89.
It's not blue though. The color in the first and second picture are the exact color of the guitar. If the light catches the finish the wrong way, colors like this (Teal, Emerald, Turquoise, Aquamarine, etc.) Will appear blue, but I managed to get those pictures that show it's exact color. It has more green than blue in the finish overall. Lazer Blue is straight, nearly electric blue. I know it's not Emerald Green, because that finish was created in 92, and I don't think a 1989 550 neck would be on a 1992 550 body, especially when a huge amount of emerald green 550's had an AANJ. I was thinking maybe it was Light Teal, but it's far too dark. Could it be possible it's maybe Atlantic Blue that's faded? Or maybe an early prototype-ish Emerald Green finish? It's just really confusing. I know the neck wasn't changed because the headstock finish matches exact to the body.

EDIT: Trust me, if you could see it in person, you would not deny that it's not any of the intense blue finishes Ibanez released for the 550. This thing is nearly straight turquoise. Like a dark deep green with a hint of dark blue.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 02:11 PM

Reviews: 2

It's Atlantic Blue......... '89 RG550 AB
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2012, 08:47 PM

Reviews: 1

Good call. I didn't see an '89 catalog but the price list has the odd colors. Atlantic Blue, Heather Pearl, and Five Alarm red.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 09:00 PM

I've got the same color ( atlantic blue?) in an RG550 but with a white pickguard. Bought it in high school, in the fall of '91. Kept it and played it ever since, not a scratch on it. In high school I loved the guitar but thought the color was boring, since my friends guitars had wild paint schemes, but now I love it more than ever because it's very subtle but changes color from turquoise to light blue to dark blue depending on light. Serial # F747998. Does anyone know what year it was made? Thanks!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 09:02 PM

Actually it has a white pickguard, and an all-black head.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 09:12 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilly View Post
I've got the same color ( atlantic blue?) in an RG550 but with a white pickguard. Bought it in high school, in the fall of '91. Kept it and played it ever since, not a scratch on it. In high school I loved the guitar but thought the color was boring, since my friends guitars had wild paint schemes, but now I love it more than ever because it's very subtle but changes color from turquoise to light blue to dark blue depending on light. Serial # F747998. Does anyone know what year it was made? Thanks!
sounds like an '87. I'd love to see pics of it!!!

BTW......Welcome to Jemsite man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 09:32 PM

Thank you for the welcome. I signed up 5 minutes ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jon's Ibanez RG550 2.jpg (21.8 KB, 5 views)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-10-2012, 10:40 PM

OK Looks like a build date of April 1987, 7998th built that month. Thanks!
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilly View Post

Interesting! I have a SN# F742xxx and was thinking that perhaps someone used a body from a later date, but maybe Ibanez did make some RG550s in 1987 with blue bodies??

Here's mine,

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 11:20 AM

Got an update from Bill at the ibanez forum,

"It may have been some sort of spot production. They may have made this finish in the RG550 midyear and did not keep it in the next catalog. Do you think it is close to this "Violet Pearl" in this 1987 RG560 catalog?
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/...at_id=175&year=1988

Here is a Japanese catalog with a few models in that "Violet Pearl". I'm not sure who named this color, but I believe they may have been colorblind.
http://www.ibanez.co.jp/...php?cat_id=58&now=2
"

My guitar is for sure in the Violet Pearl color seen in that second link. And it is cool to know that mine might just be a stock guitar. Now I'll try to figure out if it is actually a 550 or 750, and just what the pickups are.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-25-2013, 09:19 PM

looks alot like my Emerald Green (EG) .. those always look more blue than green

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode