Need help finding sweet tones on the RG 655 - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 03:20 AM Thread Starter

Need help finding sweet tones on the RG 655

Hey everyone, I just picked myself up my first Ibanez guitar and woah if you haven't had a chance to play the prestige 655 yet well i it really is so easy to play and incredibly resonant.

However i was hoping somone could help show me the ropes when it comes to getting some sick tones from this guitar. Having this 5-way switch is something im totally not used to and although it's really daunting at the moment, I'm pretty excited to delve in and figure this **** out.

I've barely had a chance to play this beauty yet but already i've fallen in love with how sparkly the single coil tones are. and loving the funky as hell sound i'm getting from having the pick selection thats closest to the strings (sorry i' not really sure how to word the options)

But surprisingly the tones i'm struggling to find here (which i'm sure is due to my inaptitude and lack of practice time and not the guitar) are the crunchy rock n roll sounds and the nasty metal tones that wake up my neighbours when i pick squeal. So any advice to get them would be sick. And also how do i get the best shredding tones?

Actually I'm very interested in every tone at the moment, im loving fusion music the now, and i know if i can learn the ropes here with this new guitar , well it'll be all groovy.

so any input would be greatly appreciated as far as amp settings and pick up selections the tone nobs or relevant links and all that good stuff.

Thankyou so much for taking the time i really do try to play a little bit of everything so whatever you're sound is i'd love to know how you get it.

Also off topic but it does have me a little worried, the whammy bar has been creaking alot is this to be expected?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 08:15 PM

Re: Need help finding sweet tones on the RG 655

A little wax based lip balm on the bar will stop the creaking. I lowered the bass side of both the AN &TZ about 3mm lower on the base side then raised the pole pieces to match the neck curve profile. For my playing technique this offers pleasing tones. Don't be afraid to turn the pick up screws, you can always turn them back to where you started. At the end of it all there is no real right or wrong, as Yngwie said in an interview, if it sounds good it is good.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 10:47 AM

What amp are you playing? regarding the shredding tones i spent about 65% of my leads on the neck pick up and the other 35% on the bridge, position 2 and 4 are great for cleans and i sometimes use position 3 for a single coil clean sound with just a little break up, the HSH configuration with the 5 way switch can give you a lot of tonal options.
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 11:30 AM

I use bias fx for the iPad through headphones. I'm not a big metal tone guy, i think the whole ibby's are for shredding only is b.s. The guitar plays well sounds nice and makes me want to pick it up. Other thing I get a kick outa is all the guitar players that complain about sustain, yet all they play is fast with lotsa delay and reverb, does guitar sustain really matter with gain at 17? And compressor at 9? Having said that, I try to find a simulator profile, that allows me to go from clean/warm to gritty crunch with only tweezing the guitar controls. 2 and 4 can deliver acceptable straty tones and the mid by itself is usable to my ears.
I have the maple neck blue 655.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 03:16 PM

Congrats on your new and first Ibanez guitar! Welcome to the family of legends
What a first Ibanez to get - a Prestige!

Your amp will play a big role in the type of tones you get. Generally an amp that has a wide tone spectrum in relation to the amount of gain it has on tap will allow your guitar to go from folk, squeaky cleans to bluesgrass, to blues rock Hendrix style to hard rock Kiss style to full on METAL (Metallica style and pretty much any other metal band you can think of).

To get the most out of your new axe, familiarise yourself with the 5 way switch as that's gonna give you control over your tone. For smooth leads with body I turn to my neck pickup, for in your face melting solos with tons of harmonic response my bridge does it! Play around with the amount of volume you use as well as the amount of tone. Those two knobs alone offer much tonal variety. Like unklpunk said, you can play with pickup angles for different tone options however, I'd recommend getting used to it as is and then adjusting depending on your preference. If you can, please try her thru a full on amp and I guarantee you'll be blown away!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-16-2015, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Hello again. Thankyou so much for the fast replys.

Unklpunk thankyou for that advice i'll make sure i go get some lip balm haha. And as for turning the pick up screws that's something i've never done before but will prob have to try out now at somepoint down the line. That being said i'm just figuring the sound of them in the default position for now. Also what do you mean by a simulator profile and how do i go about that?

Right now with this on my fender mustang 2 amp i'm using ( to answer your question Rafafas ) I'm stumbling across great tones but i'm still struggling to get that sweet tone then switch pick up into another incredible tone thats totally different but perfect for something else you know? That mysterious fusion magic. But ye so the simulator thing you mentioned sounds great, Unkl .

Sweet amp btw, although i don't do it justice and i've not got the pc hookup for it yet. ( It was a incredible gift from a friend who moved to the states recently)

And Rafafas how do i go about giving my single coil breakup as you mentioned.

And hey Rolanthunder thankyou for the congratz and quite the welcoming as you can probably imagine it's been a fun week. It might be a wee while before i can play her on a studio amp but you've certainly got me looking forward to it haha. My amp's pretty sweet for getting a range of tones, and now my guitar can do it too well, ye fun week. I hope i get good at this one day haha

Well again thankyou everyone for the advice and taking the time, it's much appreciated. Take care and happy holidays.

Tags
5-way switch , prestige , rg 655 , rg655 , tone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode