Need help on a guitar purchase - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Question Need help on a guitar purchase

Hi everyone,

Im a intermediate guitar player that plays very often. Im 16 so 'studies come first' and all but I am just so passionate about guitar. Ive been playing for over two years now. Ive owned a very bad guitar, very bad, for this whole time, and ive been saving up to buy a nice guitar. I love PRS guitars, but my favourites are the Ibanez guitars, Jem, Herman Li's, Paul Gilbert's. My budjet is about 1000$ but I want to get a guitar at 800$ or less so that I can get some more pedals. I play jazz, blues, rock, hard rock, metal ( a lot of Led Zep, Steve Vai, Rolling Stones, Queen, Static X ) and so I need a pretty versatile guitar.
I considered the Jem7v but its way out of my budjet and even used ( i had seen a couple running on ****/ craigslist ) for 1400-1600$ i cant/couldnt afford it. So I considered buying the Jem 555, I haven't tried it yet and I am hoping I can find it used for around 600-900$ ( i have already seen sold on **** a jem555 at 680$ and the buyer left a comment saying that it was real etc..) The thing is everyone is saying that it sucks. I mean it has edge pro 2 or 3 and evo pickups and im pretty sure the neck dimensions are almost identical to the 7v. And i have read many go reviews about this guitar, and the only bad ones were talking customer service, or how ugly it is compared to the 'real' Jems, or that it wasnt setup correctly when they bought it...

anyway what I would like to know is if the Jem 555 is not the way to go, then what do i do? What guitar is very versatile and plays well ( has to have a trem, not necesarily floating and humbuckers, preferably H/S/H) and especially, is the Jem 555 that bad?

Thanks in advanst,
Nick,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 09:18 PM

Re: Need help on a guitar purchase

I'd go for a used BSB or DBK.

I've been watching them myself on the 'bay, and they seem to go for around $800.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 09:26 PM Thread Starter

Ive been looking at them too, but I dont really like the black look, I dont like black guitars in general atcually. I would prefer a bright pink/yellow over an all black guitar. I have an issue with very black guitars haha
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 10:20 PM

Check out the whole RG series, there are lots of fine instruments for under a grand, and if you buy used you save big. You don't need to get a Jem, and an RG will be a better buy than a 555.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim777 View Post
Check out the whole RG series, there are lots of fine instruments for under a grand, and if you buy used you save big. You don't need to get a Jem, and an RG will be a better buy than a 555.
YUP.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 01:51 AM

I vote against the 555 and I agree with the above comments. Ibanez RG would be an excellent choice. You might even pick one up new, I see ibanezrules has a few in that price range: http://ibanezrules.com/new/index.htm#RG.

Or go the used route. With 800 you should easily be able to find a MIJ RG, put new Dimarzios in it, then have a tech do a pro setup. You'd have a really nice guitar.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. Im looking at the RG prestiges and Ive found some nice guitars. The thing is, isnt that a little more hard rock/metal. Would I be able to play jazz and blues on it? And also i dont want to change the pickups. Unless Its REALLY necesary Id rather not.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

I dont need a Jem but i just love there look and franctly there my favourite guitars. Ive often played a Jem 7vwh at a friends house through a Carvin Legacy amp so my expectations are pretty high
How about the Jem 7PBK?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.spade View Post
How about the Jem 7PBK?
Didn't think you liked black guitars?
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:04 AM Thread Starter

Haha I knew someone would say it. Yeah but this one looks nice, i dont know it might be the white on it...
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-11-2009, 06:24 AM Thread Starter

Is the ibanez rg2550z gw any good?

Tags
guitar , jem , jem 7 , jem555 , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode