Need help identifiying my Ibanez please. - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Need help identifiying my Ibanez please.

Hi Folks,

Ive pretty much stopped playing now and I hate seeing my guitar sitting there not being used so I've decided it's time to sell it on to someone who will actually use it... problem is I have no idea what it is or how much it's worth.

It looks a bit like an RG, it has three EMG live pup's but the middle one is very quiet with a lot of noise. There are three switches one for each pup and it has a floyd rose pro floating bridge.

I think it has been modded at some point.

I bought it second hand in 1994 for about 200 I think.

pics here: s750.photobucket.com/albums/xx142/baileyswallk/Ibanez/

Any ideas??

Cheers,
Brendan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 04:58 PM

Re: Need help identifiying my Ibanez please.

Looks like a 1988 S540S:

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/...t_id=158&now=1

EMG's aren't the stock pickups. Colour and position of the knobs are the only thing throwing me a bit.

Last edited by IbanezDaemon; 09-29-2010 at 05:07 PM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:13 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm, it's got the same knobs but there in the wrong place. The switches look in the right place but the jack is on the side on my guitar and it's way thicker than that guitar looks.

I can't decode the serial number from the forums I've looked at it says made in japan under the serial and the serial number is 801185 so I was thinking it was year 80 or 85?
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:14 PM

Reviews: 4

Its waaay to pointy to be an S. it looks maybe like a later roadstar maybe
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:24 PM

Check the 540 Radius or Power. This is a bit more like it. The Power model would have the thicker body.

http://www.ibanez.co.jp/anniversary/...t_id=139&now=1
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:43 PM

Reviews: 2

It looks like it could be a 1988 540P to me. Looks like the front switch has been replaced and an additional tone or volume knob added? The 85 PR1440 is same switch and pup config but the body is wrong and the serial number too. Is it possible the plate has been replaced? Looks OK for its age. If it plays well I would say you should ask 375 or so. The late 80's RG's are going for around 500 so that is what I based it on. Peace.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:46 PM

Yeah, the 87 540Pro looks right. serial does not have seven but the one showed has all the switches. Daemon is on to it.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:47 PM

What you've got is an '88 540 Pro Model. This was the series that preceeded the 540R, 540S and 540P. Similar to the Roadstar II series, but better quality from what I understand.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:48 PM Thread Starter

Yea I think that's it the power, been looking through google images and can find similar ones in that colour but not exactly the same.

What would you say would be a fair price for it considering it has some dings and not original pups + the middle ones not working??
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989RG560CA View Post
Looks OK for its age. If it plays well I would say you should ask 375 or so. The late 80's RG's are going for around 500 so that is what I based it on. Peace.
We talking dollars or sterling??
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 07:31 PM

You said you paid 200 quite awhile ago, so 375 seems fair at todays prices.
375 sterling is about 592 dollars. I see the RGs selling for more in the UK and surrounding areas than in the US. Should be the same with your 540Pro.
If my idea was lower than what you thought, I am no expert. Wait for others to say what they think.
I really like the guitar though s-s-h and older trem are cool.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 10:19 PM

Definitely looks like a 540P. I thought the P, Radius and Saber all came out the same year. The P is more rare, because they didn't produce them for long. Seems as though a guy sold one here for about $400 or so (US) recently. Definitely looks like the pickups aren't stock.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 04:13 AM Thread Starter

wow, it's worth more than I thought. I would really love it if it went to someone who would restore it or something it plays beautiful and the two working pups sound great but paint work does have a couple of nasty dings on it, but I would be happy to let it go for less to someone that's going to appreciate it. Is it worth posting on here for sale? Are there many uk users here or is there a uk Ibanez forum?

Cheers,
Brendan.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 03:16 PM

I think there are plenty of UK members on here. Not sure on UK Ibby site. I live all the way in Alaska or I would try and buy it. Shipping would be high probably. I have been wanting to restore a guitar as a hobby for awhile. That would be a killer project guitar for sure. Do you have anyway of estimating shipping? .....
My first Ibby was an 89 560, I would definitely appreciate it, and play the heck out of it, lol.
If you post here try to come up with a guesstimate on shipping to US/Canada.(if you are willing to ship international that is)
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-30-2010, 04:00 PM Thread Starter

Cheers mate, I think postage would be about 50 after a rough check if it was delivered in the hard case. I will pop it on here for sale and on gumtree for local adds but if you want to pick up the postage then that's cool.

Tags
identification

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode