need help identifying this model - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 09:20 PM Thread Starter

need help identifying this model

a friend of mine has an 88 Ibanez rg USAC...
apparently these were Japanese models but assembled here in America and we're all custom order?
any idea on worth? It will end up listed for trade or sale... it is not mint and has some balttle scars but nothing major... And also relocated the plume knob so the is an empty hole in the pick guard...
I assumed it's a one piece basswood. 24 fret, bound neck and HS, low pro trem, and loaded with EMG from the factory... I believe it is a 770...
1cqzc10k.jpg.html][/URL]
and no this guitar does not belong to John Melloncamp

Last edited by magh8; 10-18-2014 at 09:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-18-2014, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

Re: need help identifying this model

will post pics as soon as I can
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 12:37 AM

It's a regular RG 750, no USAC about it.
The pickups definitely changed to EMG, it should had IBZ USA F series humbucker and C series single.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 03:27 AM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder View Post
It's a regular RG 750, no USAC about it.
The pickups definitely changed to EMG, it should had IBZ USA F series humbucker and C series single.
This^^^

It's an '88 RG750. Your friends info is mostly correct. They were regular production so no custom order was needed. They were assembled in the Bensalem shop where the USA pups were installed. FWIW, the correct pups for an '88 RG7xx were marked IBZUSA. The F-series hums and C-series singles had not been released yet. I have a beat up set from my '88 750.

As far as value: The used market is getting a little better over the last couple of months. This guitar looks to be in good shape. I could see it getting $600 without too much trouble. It would get a little more if it had the original pups and the guard wasn't altered.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

ok thanks guys... he I believe he emailed Ibanez with the serial and they said it was a usca...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magh8 View Post
ok thanks guys... he I believe he emailed Ibanez with the serial and they said it was a usca...
Unfortunately, the serial# itself only indicates the year and month of manufacture and the sequential build number for ALL of the Ibanez guitars built that month. Additionally, These cast plates were sent to Bensalem in large lots to be mated to guitars as they were built. Because of that- the sequential numbering went out the door.

The Bensalem plates went on all RG7xx guitars as well as the USA customs. Just from the serial#, Ibanez would never know what kind of guitar the plate was on........ they don't keep records of that. AFAIK, these plates were also on all of the 540 variants from '87-'92. I can't remember when the 540's got the AANJ..........
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys this has been very helpful
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magh8 View Post
thanks guys this has been very helpful
No problem man. Are you going to buy it from your buddy or are you helping him to sell it? You should list it in the classifieds here. Just DON'T list it here AND on any auction site at the same time- that's against our classified rules......
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-19-2014, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

gonna move it for him... I just listed it on rig-talk.. he looking for an old Charvel model series... I had him do some work on a couple of my model 6's and a friend of mines model 5 and he got the bug... lol
he use to have a model 3 way back and misses it dearly...

Tags
usac

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode