Need help! Is my Ibanez Prestige defective?? - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Need help! Is my Ibanez Prestige defective??

Hello everyone. First time poster here, but I have been playing Ibanez guitars since my first RG550 in 1987.

Anyway, I now have an Ibanez Prestige RGA121NTF. It is a "Team J Craft" guitar, which is suppossed to be a good thing I suppose...

It is this guitar here:

*I can't post links yet, but you can easily google it.

Anyway, I brought it today to a local luthier to have new pups installed (Evo 2 and Air Norton). The guy called me and told me that there was a problem. He said the guitar would not intonate properly because the bridge saddles on the Gibraltar Plus bridge would not go back far enough to get the low A and E strings in tune. He said he took the entire bridge apart and everything on the guitar is fine. His only explanation was that Ibanez set the bridge too close to the neck.

Now, I have never even heard of this before and I mean this is a guitar straight from the factory and I am assuming eveything is computer controlled so this would not occur. But this luthier is really good and I trust his judgement (to a degree).

This is all very upsetting and I have no idea what do do. There is no easy solution here. I guess I am just looking for input or advice. I asked him if a new bridge could be installed and he said not really because it is routed into the body. He said my only option would be to reset the neck a bit further from the body, but this would involve redrilling the neck holes and seems a bit risky to me.

On a side note, this guy is a freak about tuning and intonation and uses a Peterson strobe tuner to tune and intonate. I asked if he was just being too fussy with the intonation and he said no, it was pretty off and he was surprised because he was always impressed with Ibanez guitars.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Last edited by stargate; 02-05-2010 at 09:51 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:19 PM

Reviews: 1
Re: Need help! Is my Ibanez Prestige defective??

While highly unlikely it's not completely of the realm of possibilities.

The first questions I have are:
1) What gauge strings are you have putting on?
2) What tuning are you using?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
While highly unlikely it's not completely of the realm of possibilities.

The first questions I have are:
1) What gauge strings are you have putting on?
2) What tuning are you using?
10 gauge GHS Boomers and standard E tuning. Nothing fancy.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargate View Post
His only explanation was that Ibanez set the bridge too close to the neck.
Well then he should check the location of the bridge, measurement-wise. There's no guessing when it comes to hard numbers.

Quote:
But this luthier is really good and I trust his judgement (to a degree).
Then I would have him show me while I'm standing there with him.

Quote:
This is all very upsetting and I have no idea what do do. There is no easy solution here. I guess I am just looking for input or advice. I asked him if a new bridge could be installed and he said not really because it is routed into the body. He said my only option would be to reset the neck a bit further from the body, but this would involve redrilling the neck holes and seems a bit risky to me.
I can understand why you're upset but it's a problem and it can get fixed. Moving the neck isn't that big a deal but again if I was you, I would want to know precisely how much the bridge is off.

BTW, did you purchase this instrument new or used?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toneboy View Post
BTW, did you purchase this instrument new or used?
i guess thats the mother of all questions, if new return it and have them intonate where you bought it. If they fail return it. If you bought used you have not much of a choice. Resetting the neck is not a big deal except it will create a gap.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

I bought it used off CL. I got it for $400 which seemed like a good deal and it really looks to be in good shape. No mods and the seller seemed like a cool guy.

Of course, the new pups and install cost me about $250, so I am into this guitar for about $650.

I guess maybe getting a second luthier to take a look at it would be a good idea, but probably more $$.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 11:16 PM

I would ask him to try again with new E and A strings. The ones on there may be duds or have a kink in them somewhere.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 11:23 PM

Also, if he initially had the saddles set forward and subsequently moved them back to set the intonation, then there most likely is a kink...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 09:59 AM

Any new news?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 10:16 AM

Have you actually tried to intonate it yourself?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 11:25 AM

I found this on HC

Cut the springs on the Gibraltar Plus bridge to get the correct intonation for the guitar. The spring is too long and there is not enough space in the bridge to properly intonate the guitar even after installing the earvana nut. This is the last thing I wanted to do but I'm glad I did. Perfect intonation does make the guitar sing.
This wasn't a problem with .09 guage strings till I change it to 0.10.

Not sure how valid but the guy seems to know what he is talking about

http://reviews.harmony-central.com/r...ez/RGA121/10/1

5th post down
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibanized View Post
I found this on HC

Cut the springs on the Gibraltar Plus bridge to get the correct intonation for the guitar. The spring is too long and there is not enough space in the bridge to properly intonate the guitar even after installing the earvana nut. This is the last thing I wanted to do but I'm glad I did. Perfect intonation does make the guitar sing.
This wasn't a problem with .09 guage strings till I change it to 0.10.

Not sure how valid but the guy seems to know what he is talking about

5th post down
wow, that's some interesting information there. I am going to email it to my luthier to get his thoughts.

Thanks, everyone, for the good info. I will report back when I get some news.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 12:21 PM Thread Starter

On a side note, though, to what springs is that guy referring to? I wasn't aware that the Gibraltar Plus bridge even had springs.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode