Need help with new pickups on my RG350MYE - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Need help with new pickups on my RG350MYE

Yeah, the guitar is yellow..

Anyways, I really want new pickups in this thing. So therefore I'm asking you here on jemsite if there are any pickups you would recommend?

I prefer DiMarzio-pickups..

I have no idea which color would fit in my guitar either.. Thought of pink, but I don't know

Hit me with your suggestions

Just so I know what I'm ought to buy if I'm gonna change those stock pups

Last edited by RG&JEM-Fan; 02-14-2011 at 01:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 01:55 AM

Reviews: 2
Re: Need help with new pickups on my RG350MYE

What equipment do you use? What music do you like to play? What are your future needs.

We don't want to suggest super high output pup's if you plan to play the blues..........
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 02:38 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGTFanatic View Post
What equipment do you use? What music do you like to play? What are your future needs.

We don't want to suggest super high output pup's if you plan to play the blues..........
Hi there, I'm sorry.. Was early morning here, I was half into sleep when I wrote it

I now use some crappy amp, a 10 watt Custom-thing that came along with a Squier I bought some years ago.. But I'm gonna change it for some bettr amp when I get better playing guitar.. I guess, if I practice much, in about a year or so.. Maybe more..

I just love playing guitar, let the thoughts fly away and dream about being someone, if only just for one moment, still it's a good thing, to play guitar

I play.. Well, let's say Guns N Roses-things and Steve Vai-things mainly, and now I'm trying to make my own solos, based on the principle that those are using

Rock N Roll is one of my favs, hard rock, I guess it's named, and.. Classical? What's Steve Vai's genre called? He's using an orchestre, so I guess it's classical..

I guess DiMarzio Evolution/ Breed is my kind of pup, but as I have no idea as of now, I'm asking you guys, as you have the knowledge I'm hoping to have one day..

And, I'd like a color-suggestion for them pickups, as I'm going to change the color of the pickguard too some sunny day ^^

I saw a green mirros pickguard on a yellow guitar here earlier, that was awesome, I guess that's what it's gonna be.. Just to let you know, if that would have any influence on my choice of colors for the pickups
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-14-2011, 03:02 AM

Reviews: 120

I'd suggest you try out the search feature on Jemsite. There are hundreds of threads like yours on here, and youll find lots of results.

Also, go to DiMarzio's website, and maybe also Seymour Duncans site, use the pickup finders to work out some pickups that might fit your guitar build, and the sounds you are looking for. Once you've worked out a shortlist go read some reviews on Jemsite, and check out YouTube for some video demos.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 02:58 PM

Reviews: 1

I put a ToneZone (bridge) and an Evolution (neck) in my RG350MYE. I got both of these PUs for cheap as they were coming from one of those new Charvel.

I'm a fan of the ToneZone so this one was easy for me. As for the Evolution, I'm not yet sure about this one. It sounds good but a bit on the "treble" side with my Peavey 6505.

ToneZone is awesome. I like the "groal" I get out of it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 07:13 PM

Reviews: 6

My honest opinion??

Keep the stock Infinity's in that guitar. You're still too much of a greenhorn to see the differences within pup's(pickups). Now don't confuse that with me saying you can't play, because that's not the case. What I'm saying is if you're still stuck on a 10w amp, then you need to upgrade your amp.

Start building your rig(i.e. a good amp, some pedals if you so choose). Let your ears become accustomed to a good amp, quality effects, etc. Then when you're ready, start mixing in some good pups.

Again I'm not saying you can't change them, just my advice would be not to change them.

Because I'd recommend a Fred and either PAF Pro, or Air Norton. Believe me, based one what you're used to, you'd hate those pups. A Tone Zone or Super Distortion, would help but you still may not like them.

You like the tone from your heros and that's great. I love Vai's tone to death, but to be honest, Evolutions just don't jive with me. I hate the tone they give off, they sound like BS through my rig. Which is why, I'm more of a medium output pup guy. Love the Fred, PAF Pro's and Air Norton's. I will say that for a high output pup, the Super Distortion is probably my favorite but that's about the extent I'll go when it comes to high output pups.

When I was young, I played for a few years, and just had to have a set of EMG's. Liked them for awhile, but within a year or so. I started to hate them. My tastes started to change, I started to really get into tone. I started to dabble with amps, effects, strings, different guitars with either maple or rosewood fretboards. Bodies of Alder, mahogany, basswood, poplar, etc. etc.

After all this time, I'm still searching for the tone I hear in my head. Don't get me wrong, I'm very close to what I hear in my head, there's just something I'm always searching for. And I've been at it for 16 years now. I started to develop my tone when I had been playing for about three or four years. But even back then, I was an infant when it came to tone.

And lastly, will say this. That amps properly set to a tone you like, will do more in the long run for you developing your tone than rushing into pups. Pick-ups are an integral part of your tone, but upgrade your amp first. Find a good set of strings that you like and enjoy the tone of. Find a specific pick/plectrum that you like as well. All these little minute things go into making your tone. Even certain guitar cables will shape your tone.

Welcome to the world of TONE, but take babysteps man. It's a process, but a worthwhile process.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-15-2011, 10:23 PM

Reviews: 2

RG&Jem: As I read your last post I have to agree with both LonePhantom and Swirled777. These are two gentlemen that truly know the intricacies of tone structure. You say that your "gonna change it for some bettr amp when I get better playing guitar." I say that you already have a very good guitar that can last you a lifetime. It may need some upgrades in the future, but not now.

As stated above, now is the time to concentrate on a better amplifier. Fortunately, with your choices of music style there are MANY affordable amps that will do a great job for you. Once you've had your amp for at least a year (you need that time to truly dial in "your" tone), then start looking into effects pedals, pickups, and so on. Now is the time to get to know your RG "intimately". let it become an extension of you before you start changing it. You'll appreciate it in the end.

Ryc

Tags
pickup

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode