Need help on next guitar, thank you! - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

Need help on next guitar, thank you!

hello everyone! I am new to this wonderful community and i was wondering if i could possibly get some recommendations for my next guitar (forgive me if im posting in the wrong section haha).

I play anywhere from ska to prog, my favorite bands/influences go from Rush, Supertramp, Yes, The Mars Volta, Dream Theater, Opeth, and so on so i was in pursuit of a pretty versatile instrument.

Before i started to stumble on the Ibanez models, I had my mind pretty much set on an ESP Edwards Jimmy Page LP Relic with custom wiring (coil tap, phase, series/parallel) because of its incredible tonal versatility and feel according to the people that own it from various forums. I would be able to get this for roughly 9-1000 USD shipped so that is my price range.

And then i stumbled onto the RG2550 and 2570 from a link my friend sent to me and i said to myself, damn, these look incredibly amazing haha, so i started to look into them more and people said they are pretty versatile so I am now kind of stuck in a pickle haha, but i am open to other suggestions/models . Thanks so much and have a pleasant day!

ps: oh i have had hands on with the Edwards, but unfortunately my local guitar shops dont carry any of the higher end prestige/ RGs so i cant get my hands on them to try unless they do a special order, where i would needs to pay haha!

Last edited by foolie; 11-02-2006 at 04:15 AM. Reason: forgot segment
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 05:17 AM

Re: Need help on next guitar, thank you!

if you want real tonal versatility in an RG, check out one of the piezo equipped models.

i owned an RG1620X for a while, and being able to mix in some piezo tone into my sound gave me a new approach to my sound.

now imagine one of those with the same wiring as the LP you were checking out but with the addition of piezo. sounds like fun.

just a thought.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-02-2006, 09:01 PM

Les Pauls sound great, but aren't player friendly due to their weight, neck size and single cutaway.

RGs can get you smoother lead tones depending what you put into them for pickups. Les Pauls can scream more.
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 11-03-2006, 09:52 PM

if you got cash, try a PRS. many people here might disagree, but you just cant deny their quality. and they're reaaaally versatile. try a CE model.

Tags
coil tap , guitar shop , ibanez models , jimmy page , les paul , les pauls , local guitar shop

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode