Need help for RGD320 MGS - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Need help for RGD320 MGS

Dear friends,

I have recently bought RGD320 MGS which is a pretty good guitar for a beginner like me..

technical spec as below:

Neck Material: 3pc Maple Neck Type: WIzard III (26.5") Body: Basswood body Frets: Jumbo frets Fingerboard: Bound Rosewood Inlay: RGD special inlay Bridge: Edge Zero II bridge w/ZPS3Fe on BK & Edge III bridge on MGS, WH models NeckPU: VK1-DT BridgePU: VK2-DT HW Color: BK Finishes: BK, MGS, WH
RGD SERIES BASICS
  • Fast, flat, and thin Wizard III necks
  • Extra-long 26.5” neck scales
  • Trem models feature Edge-Zero II bridge w/ZPS3Fe
  • Gibraltar Standard bridge on fixed models offers smooth playing comfort and maximum string vibration
  • CAP VK1/VK2 custom designed pickups for down tuning
  • Extra-deep scoop cut on lower horn for high fret access
  • Full-step down factory tuning: D-G-C-F-A-D (6th to 1st strings)
  • RGD7321 is 7-string model, tuned A-D-G-C-F-A-D (7th to 1st strings)

As the guitar is factory default full step down set tuning to D-G-C-F-A-D, it is good in practising grovy heavy metal..

However, I started to miss standard tuning of E and thinking of tuning my RGD to full step E to E..as from review, it is not advisable to use standard tuning for this guitar as it might damaging the bridge,neck and etc...

appreciate if there is any suggestion or tips regarding to make it standard tuning E, thank you folks!..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 12:41 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98
Re: Need help for RGD320 MGS

Why wouldn't you be able to tune to standard? Just because it came from the factory that way does not mean you can't change the tuning. Just like the standard tunings that come from the factory can be setup for many other tunings. Go ahead and give it a shot--just make sure to intonate properly. You didn't mention which version you have: trem or no trem?

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
Why wouldn't you be able to tune to standard? Just because it came from the factory that way does not mean you can't change the tuning. Just like the standard tunings that come from the factory can be setup for many other tunings. Go ahead and give it a shot--just make sure to intonate properly. You didn't mention which version you have: trem or no trem?
hi,thank you for replying..

yes i would intent to tune it straight away right after I bought..
before that, I already check in other forum and they mentioned it is not advisable to tune to E as the RGD320 bridge and 26.5 scale neck is specially made for D and lower tune..

I have read some other suggestions that we need to adjust the spring tension as well..im not sure how to do it because guitar world is quite new for me so probably guidelines needed..

mine is with tremolo..
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 01:14 AM

Reviews: 11

it will be fine. i know a guy who does E-E standard on a 27" (he has some kind of schecter) and its fine for the trem and the neck
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 01:23 AM Thread Starter

thanks..great i would try it once now...will update the findings.thanks alot..cheers!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 01:24 AM

i think it's funny
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 01:28 AM
Banned

Reviews: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairil786 View Post
thanks..great i would try it once now...will update the findings.thanks alot..cheers!
As a noob, you may not know who Rich Harris is. He's the owner/operator of ibanezrules.com at the top of each page here. He put together the BEST tech tutorials ever:
http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

Read through them--this is what's going to help you most.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 11:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaBat View Post
As a noob, you may not know who Rich Harris is. He's the owner/operator of ibanezrules.com at the top of each page here. He put together the BEST tech tutorials ever:

Read through them--this is what's going to help you most.
thanks for the link, it helps me to learn more things about guitar,added into favourite

btw..i have just tried to make it standard tuning E and my findings as below:

-the bridge position is high and pulling the bridge out.
-strings getting to tight.
-tuning is getting more difficult to fine the right tune.

most probably the set up need to be done on the bridge itself and i think my best solution i will need to bring the guitar the ibanez dealer here in malaysia (bentley music) to do the settings as well as intonation if i really want regular tuning..

just sharing some points from my friend regarding this guitar:
-if you want to use regular tuning E, don't buy this guitar and even it is possible,you have just missed the point of the whole guitar.

well,im loving this guitar as my first and i believe more things i should discover from it..ibanez rules!..
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-19-2011, 12:21 PM

Reviews: 12

To burst your friend's bubble, it is possible to tune-up an extended scale instrument as long string tension is under control e.g. not too tight and certainly not very loose.
Not quite sure what the stock gauges on your RGD are (is the top 46 or 42?) but perhaps a slightly thinner string set to "up-tune" to E should be considered as well.

Reg

Last edited by reguv760; 04-19-2011 at 12:41 PM.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-24-2011, 05:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reguv760 View Post
Not quite sure what the stock gauges on your RGD are (is the top 46 or 42?) but perhaps a slightly thinner string set to "up-tune" to E should be considered as well.

Reg
im using stock gauge which I guess 0.8 or 0.9mm...
anyway, im changing the gauge soon and will try to get the ibanez dealer to fix this problem for me..also, I will update to you guys how is it done..

cheers..
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 02:17 PM Thread Starter

hi guys...
just want to update that I have finally managed to get standard E tuning on RGD320 MGS,might be doable on WH as well...actually, i did it by myself with reference from ibanezrules.com provided by u guys because didnt have a good deal of time to go the dealer here..

i just got to know im using .9 gauge,which is stock gauge..it is still doing great,so i don't want to change it as of now..

ok,anyway back to the discussion...

the same steps that I did which re tight the spring tension which this time i make it to the max and get the trem bridge closest to body..then I find the standard tuning..it takes some time (maybe for me) to find the right tune of E-E.
I get another advise from other friends saying that try to start tuning the guitar from string D and G (middle part) then with the rest..

now, the trem position is lil bit higher than normal but still I can use the trem and get the standard tuning of E..
the guitar with E tuning is awesome!..thx all for the advise..

*apologize of my bad english..just wanna share my experience..

rgds to all..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode