need help with setup low e string sounds distune - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 06:58 AM Thread Starter

need help with setup low e string sounds distune

Hi everyone. I have an ibanez prestige rg2570z with edge zero on it. The guitar was fine and strung with guage 10 to 52 strings. The guitar was sitting idle in its case for about 6 months and yesterday i decided to use it again. The stings were a bit rusty and i put some new enre ball strings on it gauge 9 to 46. After i setup the guitar i noticed that the low e string sounds distune after the 12th fret. So i googled it and there were some suggestions to check the intonation and the neck relife. I checked that and both are fine. So i changed just the low e string thinking that the string is faulty but its the same even with a new string. Any suggestion on what might be the problem? Please help.

Thanks
Fizwan hussain
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 09:51 AM

Re: need help with setup low e string sounds distune

Anytime you switch the gauge of strings on a guitar you're going to have to perform a setup again.

So the .009s have less overall string tension than the .010s.

There are numerous videos that talk about how to adjust a Floyd Rose style tremelo.

Easiest fix though would be to replace the .009s with a .010 to .052 set like you used to have. If you want to go to lighter gauge such as the .009 thru .046 you will have to perform a setup on the guitar..

If you've never done it you may want to seek out a guitar store to do it since it requires patience and some trial and error if you've never done it before.

That being said, I learned to do it and so can you!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2014, 08:46 PM

Assuming your trem is balanced, you probably need to adjust the saddle. I've never owned an EZ, but I doubt it's crazy different from the rest.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

Have fun!
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 08:00 PM

Reviews: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizwan View Post
Hi everyone. I have an ibanez prestige rg2570z with edge zero on it. The guitar was fine and strung with guage 10 to 52 strings. The guitar was sitting idle in its case for about 6 months and yesterday i decided to use it again. The stings were a bit rusty and i put some new enre ball strings on it gauge 9 to 46. After i setup the guitar i noticed that the low e string sounds distune after the 12th fret. So i googled it and there were some suggestions to check the intonation and the neck relife. I checked that and both are fine. So i changed just the low e string thinking that the string is faulty but its the same even with a new string. Any suggestion on what might be the problem? Please help.

Thanks
Fizwan hussain
To clarify- the low "E" goes out of tune above the 12th fret, but the intonation is OK?

You may want to re-check that.........
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-14-2014, 11:07 PM

Yeah, what RGT said.
'Distune', in this case would actually mean 'the intonation is off'. If you're sticking to the 'strict' rule of checking at the 12th fret, I can see your confusion. Try checking the intonation at the 24th fret, I'll bet it's way off. You can have open and 12 'close enough' that even a simple tuner will say, "Oh, it's fine", so to speak, but it can still be quite a bit off past the 12th in many instances. (I had this argument with my fiancee, he's 'old school' when it comes to setup and tradition is to set it at the 12th, so that's what he does, and sure enough, it's always a bit off past 12.)
Usually a simple fix though. www.ibanezrules.com is your best friend when it comes to setup.
Or your guitar tech, if you're lucky enough to have one.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Hi. Thanks for ur reply. I checked the intonation again and thw intonation is perfect on it. The i play a note on the low e string it sounds not in tune but when i check with a tuner its seems to be in tune. It kinds sounds like when u play a power chord and one of the strings is slightly not in tune.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-17-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizwan View Post
Hi. Thanks for ur reply. I checked the intonation again and thw intonation is perfect on it. The i play a note on the low e string it sounds not in tune but when i check with a tuner its seems to be in tune. It kinds sounds like when u play a power chord and one of the strings is slightly not in tune.
Try lowering all three pickups as far as possible to see if it makes a difference.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-20-2014, 12:55 AM

Good call RGT. Magnets pulling on the string was my next assumption as well.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Thank you i will try that and keep you guys posted
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

thank you all for the help. i have identified the problem and its the pickups. there were too high and caused a magnetic pull on the strings. thanks again
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 04:46 PM

Glad you got it sorted out.
We're all here to help, when we're not taking threads totally off-topic, that is.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2014, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItalianPCTech View Post
Glad you got it sorted out.
We're all here to help, when we're not taking threads totally off-topic, that is.
Rich is waiting!!!

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-22-2014, 05:39 PM

Still can't see him....

Tags
setup ibanez prestige

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode