Need to identify this RG... - Jemsite
All Other Guitars (including Prestige) Discussion about other Ibanez Guitars not covered in the above topics. Includes J-Custom, USA-Custom, Prestige subforum.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Need to identify this RG...

Serial number is F9710397 so all I can see from that is that's its a Made in Jap and was manufactured in 1997.

The has V8 and V7 pickups which are direct mounted into a very heavy body (heavier than both my RG520QS and my friends RG3120, no idea on wood). Neck is bolt on maple with rosewood board, AANJ and back is one piece (...besides headstock. Looks like a wizard to me, but could be wizard 2 couldnt measure it correctly. Has standard dot inlays). Hardware is all solid black, including Gotoh tuners and TRS trem. Body is rear routed, but has no rear jack cavity rout, jack cavity is accessed through jack plate. Body is a metallic red almost candy apple, with a matching headstock. Knobs are Fender style, with a 5 way sliding pickup selector.

One thing which I found rather strange is that the tremolo has no recess and thus the trem can only be used to go down in pitch. The body is really heavy, probably the heaviest guitar I got to play so far. It makes the two mahogany RG's I compared with it pale in comparison (weight-wise of course).

I'm usually very savvy in knowing what model I'm looking at, but the features on this one got me mixed up and can't really pinpoint the model. I'm asking cos the guy is selling this and I might end up picking it up as a stable mate for my 520QS. TRS doesnt realy worry me, I'll be blocking this one anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 02:01 PM

Re: Need to identify this RG...

Sounds like a Japanese made RG470.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 03:20 PM

It does sounds like an RG470, but I've never seen a 470, or really any RG bodied Ibanez with locking trem now that I think about it, that didn't have a routing for trem pull-ups. I wonder if it's a custom made body, or maybe a hardtail body that's been converted? There's also a chance it's an RG built for a specific market. Have you had the neck off it to look for any marks? --Jason
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 03:37 PM

Try pulling the neck and see what's under, you say the trem isn't recessed???

Regards

André

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-08-2005, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

I havent pulled the neck off since it isnt mine. RG470 came to mind but the body on those is basswood (and the weight of this really points to it not being basswood at all), Korean made, and AFAIK the trems were recessed. Looks pretty original to me except the output jack, everything looks as new. Unfortunately I havent found a 1997 RG brochure yet, so if someone has one (any market) that'd be a great starting point.

Is pulling the neck a simple case of screwing it off and screwing it back in?

And yes, the trem ISNT recessed. Strange innit.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 08:50 AM Thread Starter

Anyone have a 1997 Jap Catalogue maybe?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-10-2005, 09:01 AM

jap Rg 450dx or 470
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith
Serial number is F9710397 so all I can see from that is that's its a Made in Jap and was manufactured in 1997.

The has V8 and V7 pickups which are direct mounted into a very heavy body (heavier than both my RG520QS and my friends RG3120, no idea on wood). Neck is bolt on maple with rosewood board, AANJ and back is one piece (...besides headstock. Looks like a wizard to me, but could be wizard 2 couldnt measure it correctly. Has standard dot inlays). Hardware is all solid black, including Gotoh tuners and TRS trem. Body is rear routed, but has no rear jack cavity rout, jack cavity is accessed through jack plate. Body is a metallic red almost candy apple, with a matching headstock. Knobs are Fender style, with a 5 way sliding pickup selector.

One thing which I found rather strange is that the tremolo has no recess and thus the trem can only be used to go down in pitch. The body is really heavy, probably the heaviest guitar I got to play so far. It makes the two mahogany RG's I compared with it pale in comparison (weight-wise of course).

I'm usually very savvy in knowing what model I'm looking at, but the features on this one got me mixed up and can't really pinpoint the model. I'm asking cos the guy is selling this and I might end up picking it up as a stable mate for my 520QS. TRS doesnt realy worry me, I'll be blocking this one anyway.
it could be '97 RG 320. sale in Asia only.
the body made of resoncast.
neck is wizard II.

nothing good in this guitar , only ibanez put their V 8 and V 7 pickup to cover the poor body material.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoshredder
it could be '97 RG 320. sale in Asia only.
the body made of resoncast.
neck is wizard II.

nothing good in this guitar , only ibanez put their V 8 and V 7 pickup to cover the poor body material.
Resoncast and the<y still build that thing Japan .

Regards

André

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 05:18 AM

What the hell is resoncast!?
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, what the hell is resoncast? BTW - any other distinguishing marks?
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 08:27 AM

Resoncast? I know agathis is cheap wood, but is resoncast a type of wood? Or is it some kind of material? like heavy plastic?
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 09:46 PM

i don't know exactly, but people on ibanezregister.com said that it some kind of particle wood, not real wood.
I personally never tried this kind of material before, but I prefer to stay away from this.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith
Yeah, what the hell is resoncast? BTW - any other distinguishing marks?
all the specs you mentioned before showing me it's match with the RG 320 from my 97 catalogue.
BTW, all the lower RG 4XX, 3XX, 2XX from 97 catalogue are made out of resoncast, only RG 5XX still made from basswood.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-11-2005, 11:31 PM Thread Starter

If you could send me a scan of that catalogue page I'd be infinitely grateful!!

Tags
dot inlay , dot inlays , gotoh tuners , jack plate , reversed headstock , rosewood board , steve vai

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jemsite forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address

IMPORTANT: You will be required to activate your account so please ensure that your email address is correct.

If you do not receive your activation check your spam folder before using the CONTACT US form (at the bottom right of each page).

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode